Buffalo Bills Post-Draft Discussion

What position do you want the Bills to draft round 1?

• RB

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • WR / TE

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • OL

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • DL

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • LB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CB

• S

• Trade out of first round

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
My shot at a roster prediction:

QB (2): Allen, Trubisky
RB: (4): Cook, Johnson, Davis, Gilliam
WR (7): Coleman, Samuel, Shakir, MVS, Hollins, Shorter, Claypool
TE (3): Kincaid, Knox, Morris
OL(9): Dawkins, Edwards, McGovern, Torrence, Brown, Collins, Van Pran-Granger, Clapp, Van Demark

DL (10): Miller, Epenesa, Jones, Oliver, Rousseau, Johnson, Williams, Carter, Toohill, Solomon
LB (6): Milano, Bernard, Williams, Spector, Ulofoshio, Jones
CB (5): Johnson, Douglas, Benford, Elam, Hardy
S (4): Rapp, Bishop, Edwards, Lewis

ST (3): Bass, Martin, Ferguson

PS: Buechele, Gore, Shavers, X.Johnson, Anderson, Grable, Clayton (non-claimable), Bills, Jonathan, Cline, Ankou, Ingram, Brown

I wouldn't be surprised to see Beane add someline like Steven Nelson to the CB group with a contract like what he gave to MVS.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
My shot at a roster prediction:

QB (2): Allen, Trubisky
RB: (4): Cook, Johnson, Davis, Gilliam
WR (7): Coleman, Samuel, Shakir, MVS, Hollins, Shorter, Claypool
TE (3): Kincaid, Knox, Morris
OL(9): Dawkins, Edwards, McGovern, Torrence, Brown, Collins, Van Pran-Granger, Clapp, Van Demark

DL (10): Miller, Epenesa, Jones, Oliver, Rousseau, Johnson, Williams, Carter, Toohill, Solomon
LB (6): Milano, Bernard, Williams, Spector, Ulofoshio, Jones
CB (5): Johnson, Douglas, Benford, Elam, Hardy
S (4): Rapp, Bishop, Edwards, Lewis

ST (3): Bass, Martin, Ferguson

PS: Buechele, Gore, Shavers, X.Johnson, Anderson, Grable, Clayton (non-claimable), Bills, Jonathan, Cline, Ankou, Ingram, Brown

I wouldn't be surprised to see Beane add someline like Steven Nelson to the CB group with a contract like what he gave to MVS.
7 WRs seems like too many and 5 CB (esp 3 boundary CBs) seems too little.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
still have a couple of your FA CB's out there. I wonder if they split that June 1 money (6M) between a depth CB, and Safety (Poyer/other).

Last edited:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
The only way would be special teams WRs winning those core spots. With Neal and Matakevich gone, those core ST spots are open for the taking.

Looks like a very incentive-laden contract. A lot cheaper than you were expecting, I think.

The other thing to consider with this MVS deal is they don't have the White money available. So it can't be that big of a cap hit. They were under 3 million left yesterday. If MVS has a ~4 million cap hit, it would take them down to 0. I'm guessing it's close to 2, though, and we're now sitting at under 2 in space until we get Tre money.

So putting these two figures together, I think we can safely assume:

-1.125 base
-1.125 bonus
-2.25 incentive

Cap hit: 2.25, adds about 1.25 to current cap, leaving us with about 1 million against the T51 if they want to do anything else before June 1, not that I’m expecting anything.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think Hollins and Shorter are going to pull some special teams duties.

Most of the roster is shaped by asking "who do we want to hold on to?" Eg: you have to keep Solomon on the roster. He'll get snagged if he's on the PS.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
My darkhorse to make the roster is Keaton Bills. I'm not writing this for the novelty of it all.

He's a big kid with a lot of the things you look for in a guard: very strong, strong hands, great anchor strength, smart, understands the offense, played almost 40 games as a college starter.

His feet need a lot of work and he's not a natural athlete and bender/mover.

But he's older, is married and has a kid. He's going to take camp and preparation very seriously. I think Kromer is going to like him and want to keep him.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
I think Hollins and Shorter are going to pull some special teams duties.

Most of the roster is shaped by asking "who do we want to hold on to?" Eg: you have to keep Solomon on the roster. He'll get snagged if he's on the PS.
Shavers was also a ST demon in college I believe ? Someone else to watch in camp anyways to see what he can do.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The Bills WR room is really interesting. They are really focusing on adding size at the WR position.

Of the 14 WRs on the roster, 10 are 6'+ and 6 are listed at 6'4" (Coleman, Hollins, MVS, Claypool, Shorter, and Shavers).

And they average 6'1" and 203 lbs.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
As far as the MVS signing -- I've read in a few places that he's a reliable blocker for a WR too.

We're going to be rotating WRs a LOT this season.
As posted above - i don't think it's going to be that extreme. They won't carry seven. I'm thinking Samuel, Shakir, Coleman, Hollins, MVS are locks & maybe one more guy (likely Shorter or Shavers) if they predominantly play special teams.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Isn't Tua waiting on a contract? Im surprised MIA didnt want to set the market. Maybe they're going to franchise tag him?

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Isn't Tua waiting on a contract? Im surprised MIA didnt want to set the market. Maybe they're going to franchise tag him?

I can't see them franchise tagging him; I can't see him voluntarily playing while on a franchise tag, either. Given his concussion history, one hit could cost him $250,000,000.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
As posted above - i don't think it's going to be that extreme. They won't carry seven. I'm thinking Samuel, Shakir, Coleman, Hollins, MVS are locks & maybe one more guy (likely Shorter or Shavers) if they predominantly play special teams.

I totally agree that they carry a max of 6. But when I say that we're going to be rotating WRs a lot this season, I meant on a play-by-play basis. They can create so many looks with Kincaid/Knox plus our WRs.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
My darkhorse to make the roster is Keaton Bills. I'm not writing this for the novelty of it all.

He's a big kid with a lot of the things you look for in a guard: very strong, strong hands, great anchor strength, smart, understands the offense, played almost 40 games as a college starter.

His feet need a lot of work and he's not a natural athlete and bender/mover.

But he's older, is married and has a kid. He's going to take camp and preparation very seriously. I think Kromer is going to like him and want to keep him.
His competition will be Anderson/Clapp. There's probably only one spot there.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

Phins will be crying about the lack of a heat stroke game vs the Bills.

:sarcasm:

We may have dodged a bullet there! I expect it’ll probably be very hot in Miami early September (the famous “heat stroke game” was Sept. 25th 2022).

Very glad it’ll be played at night!

Reactions: Dingo44

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Chiefs/49ers apparently will be a 4:25 FOX game midseason. I think this increases the possibility that Bills/49ers ends up a SNF or MNF game (probably SNF).

Bills/Chiefs might still end up a CBS 4:25 game.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
If I had to take a stab at the nationally televised games:

Obviously week 2 vs. Miami on Amazon.

We've got 2 MNF games. I'm guessing home vs. San Fran and then away vs. Houston

I think we'll get 2 SNF games -- away vs. Baltimore and then away vs. Detroit

Then our KC game will get an exclusive 4:25 PM game on CBS.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
If I had to take a stab at the nationally televised games:

Obviously week 2 vs. Miami on Amazon.

We've got 2 MNF games. I'm guessing home vs. San Fran and then away vs. Houston

I think we'll get 2 SNF games -- away vs. Baltimore and then away vs. Detroit

Then our KC game will get an exclusive 4:25 PM game on CBS.
Gotta believe Lions on Thanksgiving will be a draw.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
I considered Lions on Thanksgiving but I think GB, Chicago and LA may be the Thanksgiving opponent with, as someone previously mentioned, the Bills making more sense as a primetime Sunday/Monday game. If the Lions had a later Thanksgiving kickoff it may have increased the possibility of Buffalo being the opponent however with the 12:30pm kickoff it's almost a waste.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
We literally just played them on Thanksgiving in 2022. There's no way they'd repeat an AFC team that quickly IMO. Although they did play the Bears twice in 3 years in 2019 and 2021.

I'd still be shocked if it happened.

EDIT: Fun trivia fact - Buffalo has actually played on Thanksgiving more often (11 times) than either Philadelphia (7 times) or Minnesota (9 times) - two division opponents of teams that host a game yearly. The Bills are tied for the most times played on Thanksgiving for an AFC team with Denver (11 each). All this mostly helped by playing 5 Thanksgiving games in the AFL in the 60's - 2 at San Diego and 3 at Oakland. Every team that's played more Thanksgiving games than us was at one time a division rival of either Dallas or Detroit.

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
His competition will be Anderson/Clapp. There's probably only one spot there.
I don't think either of them is any great talent that couldn't be beat out.

I've read some comments before about Anderson and Van Demark, as if they are talents we need to develop. They aren't. The Bills drafted Grable and Clayton, who have the physical attributes that teams need to develop.

Bills is in the same mold as Anderson and Van Demark. But he's probably just a little more talented and has a situation which will probably have him coming out far more seriously than people he's competing against.

Beane will still need to draft more talent for the line to develop / eventually replace Dawkins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad