Post 2005/2006: Top 5 worst contracts given

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
How about Price and Ekman-Larsson?

Price with that huge contract being paid for what he did for the Habs in the past rather than what he could continue to do for them in the future and so far since getting that contract he's played one full season and two shortened pandemic ones and that's it.

Ekman-Larsson so bad that he needed to be bought out.
Carey Price won a shit team several playoff rounds and brought a crap team to the finals. He went on LTIR afterwards and that cap hit hasn’t hurt the club at all. He doesn’t belong in this conversation.

But his GM should be shot for surrounding him with crap. Just an absolute waste of his talents.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Rick DiPetro 15 years @$4.5 in 2006
Bought out in 2013
Paid $1.5 mill until 2029 (16 years buyout)
Dipetro was hurt otherwise his contract would have been fine. Also the years was a cap circumvention tool

Didn't he also spend at least 2 years of that in the AHL as well?

Yup thats part of why players now get NMC and also why players that are signed to 1 way contracts now count against the cap whether theyre on an nhl or ahl roster

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Probably nothing beats DiPietro (they're still paying him a lot) and Bryzgalov, but I do remember this Redden one being really terrible.

Didn't he spend, like, half this contract in the minors?

Yup rangers found a way to circumvent the cap by placing him in the minors. That tactic no longer works as your cap hit counts if you're on a 1 way contract.

Jason blake got a pretty bad contract 5 year 20M. Looking at this it was in 07 and the cap was much much smaller. 4M wasnt top of the top tier players but it wasnt far off

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
'Memba that? I 'memba that.

137016724.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Devonator

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Rick DiPetro 15 years @$4.5 in 2006
Bought out in 2013
Paid $1.5 mill until 2029 (16 years buyout)
I have a REALLY hot take that deal wasn’t bad at all when it was signed. They got a star goalie at the time, locked up for his career with a low ish cap hit. Yes, the wheels fell off but they coulda rode it out a couple more seasons and LTIR-retired him.

He was a good goalie trending towards elite status with the best draft pedigree. They didn’t know his body would fall apart after that.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
  • Haha
Reactions: Craig Ludwig

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I remember watching FA coverage and when Jeff Finger was signed the panel was basically like who? for how much? what? why?

Like that contract basically just fell out of the sky and nobody knew what to do with it.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Off the top of my head:
David Clarkson (Leafs were lucky to get out of this one)
Ilya Bryzgalov (Flyers were lucky to have compliance buyouts)
Jeff Skinner
Andrew Ladd
Marc-Edouard Vlasic

HM: Lucic, Nurse, Campbell, Huberdeau (may be #1 after next season), Josh Anderson
Get a grip.

Nurse isn't even in the top 20 for current poor contracts.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Five that come to mind...

DiPietro (15 years, 4.5 mil AAV...the runaway choice for worst contract of all time)
Parise (13 years, 7.5 mil AAV)
Vlasic (8 years, 7 mil AAV)
Seabrook (8 years, 6.875 mil AAV)
Eriksson (6 years, 6 mil AAV)

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Five that come to mind...

DiPietro (15 years, 4.5 mil AAV...the runaway choice for worst contract of all time)
Parise (13 years, 7.5 mil AAV)
Vlasic (8 years, 7 mil AAV)
Seabrook (8 years, 6.875 mil AAV)
Eriksson (6 years, 6 mil AAV)
I would think Huberdeau, OEL, Dubois, and to a lesser extent Gaudreau are all contenders.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I have a REALLY hot take that deal wasn’t bad at all when it was signed. They got a star goalie at the time, locked up for his career with a low ish cap hit. Yes, the wheels fell off but they coulda rode it out a couple more seasons and LTIR-retired him.

He was a good goalie trending towards elite status with the best draft pedigree. They didn’t know his body would fall apart after that.

Yup, and the whole idea was always that it was a bit of a gamble- much lower aav for many more years. I’d say don’t sign a goalie long term, except elite goalies were still a thing back then. So.. still probably dumb imo, but dude got hurt early on, that’ll make any deal look bad.

Not the worst in terms of value, but just in terms of clearly bad decisions, I nominate Ristolainen’s contract. Most of these contracts mistakenly projected good play too long into the future- with Risto they projected play that had simply never existed. No one else was bidding at that level, just such a weird unforced burden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad