Speculation: Possible trade deadline acquisitions

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Obviously a huge hypothetical. And I don't think anyone wants to deal our 2014 1st either after dealing the 2013 1st for Nash. So Iginla is a pipe dream for sure.:laugh:

Why not? I would deal away a first if I felt that this would make our team a true contender.

You can't go half way. When you rebuild, you go balls-to-the-walls in rebuilding and when you go for the Cup, you go balls-to-the-walls in trying to win. This is why we never win, we do everything half way.

The addition of a player like Iginla would make us a real contender. If I got a called and was offered him for #1, Noreau and Pyatt, I would pull the trigger.

Sure it will harm our farm, but how much will you care about the farm when you are marching past my office in June?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Why not? I would deal away a first if I felt that this would make our team a true contender.

You can't go half way. When you rebuild, you go balls-to-the-walls in rebuilding and when you go for the Cup, you go balls-to-the-walls in trying to win. This is why we never win, we do everything half way.

The addition of a player like Iginla would make us a real contender. If I got a called and was offered him for #1, Noreau and Pyatt, I would pull the trigger.

Sure it will harm our farm, but how much will you care about the farm when you are marching past my office in June?

This team already is a real/true contender.

I will care about the farm because selling it for a 50 game season Cup that no one will even respect isn't worth making this an uncompetitive team again for X amount of years.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Why wouldn't anyone respect a Cup win during a 50g season?

The playing field is level for every team in the NHL, should make an exciting
Run to the playoffs.

I think some might feel guilty, should the Rangers win a cup this year, because
Of how we felt about the NJD winning in 95'.

ThurmNYY

Jan 25, 2007
The Lost City
nysportsboard.com

i think you got it all backwards.
the reason why we have never won and contended regularly is because we always did it half way.
we always tried to buy a team via trades and free agency and we never stayed the course and built from within.
the current team we have is the best example of staying the course and building from within as i have ever seen in my 43 years following this team.
the biggest chunk of our payroll goes to three players that where the bi-product of trades and free agency.

i would rather have the higher pick myself and the problem historicaly with the rangers in the draft is two fold, first, they never sucked enough to get a good pick and second, they consistently made the wrong picks out of what they were able to choose from.

the last several years they have made progress in that area and it shows on our roster and farm system and i not only want a contender i want one for many years to come.
i don't want another one and done like 94 and we already have 3 big pieces in richards, gabby and nash with a heck of a supporting cast and let's not forget one of the best goaltenders in the league.

plus the cap is going down next year and we should be finding ways to improve and stay the course and lowering the payroll and the only way to do that is buy having solid young players on entry level contracts.

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
Here's an interesting name for camp UFA signing:

Tomas Holmstrom.

Maybe now that Lidstrom is gone from Detroit, Lundqvist can convince Holmstrom to come here. He'd fit really well into our bottom-6.

Holmstrom is finished in my opinion. He can't skate anymore. And he isn't needed on the PP since Callahan is really good in front of the net.

Maybe. He hasn't retired yet though. I was thinking more for the playoffs than for the PP anyway.

Holmström is expected to announce his retirement within a week or two.

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/gruppsida.aspx?programid=2688&grupp=12254&artikel=5400613

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
This team already is a real/true contender.

I will care about the farm because selling it for a 50 game season Cup that no one will even respect isn't worth making this an uncompetitive team again for X amount of years.

Giving up a late first rounder will NOT make us uncompetitive. A late first doesn't make it to the NHL 2/3 of the time anyway. When he does, he's usually a marginal player. The statistical odds of our 2014 first rounder turning into a difference making first liner are very slim, under 3%. Even the odds of him being a second liner are 10-15%.

I know people have high expectations of late first rounders because that's the best their team has, but they are just wrong. Even with the great drafting skills and knowledge of our scouts, we shouldn't expect our late firsts to turn into NHLers more than half the time.

i don't want another one and done like 94 and we already have 3 big pieces in richards, gabby and nash with a heck of a supporting cast and let's not forget one of the best goaltenders in the league.

I've got news for you: we'll be LUCKY if we are one-and-done. Very lucky. That's why I wanted to do a little longer rebuild. Instead of signing Brad two years ago to a long and massive contract, I wanted to trade Gaborik for blue-chip youth, and acquire (second round or lower) picks or mid-range prospects for Prospal, Avery and WW, as well as not to give up a pick for McCabe. This would've filled up our system enough that we'd have been able to go on a long run using our own home-grown players.

But everyone wanted to go for it immediately. You can't waste Lundqvist's years, I was told. We have to give him the Cup in 2012.

The result is that we have a two year window: 2013 and 2014. That's it. After that, Gaborik will be gone and Brad will merely be eating up a major chunk of our cap space while his play will (very likely) continuously go down as he's moving from his mid to his late 30s.

We'll be very lucky if we are one-and-done.

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
"Yes, Calgary fans, we traded our franchise player for the last 15 years - but we acquired a 1st rounder the Rangers dont have and Samuel Noreau"

Who says that it would be in 2013? I was talking about the one in 2014. I know Calgary fans expect to get a huge return for an aging player about to become a UFA, but #1, Thomas and Noreau is more than they can expect.

Go review previous trades for stars: they almost never fetch what fans think they will. Almost every trade for a star has fans speculating that an arm and a leg will be needed to give him up, and then everyone is stunned that there was a "rip-off". How many times can fans be stunned at a rip-off before realizing that it's not a rip-off, it's that fans overrate star values?

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Who says that it would be in 2013? I was talking about the one in 2014. I know Calgary fans expect to get a huge return for an aging player about to become a UFA, but #1, Thomas and Noreau is more than they can expect.

That package is easily bettered by any number of teams.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Go review previous trades for stars: they almost never fetch what fans think they will. Almost every trade for a star has fans speculating that an arm and a leg will be needed to give him up, and then everyone is stunned that there was a "rip-off". How many times can fans be stunned at a rip-off before realizing that it's not a rip-off, it's that fans overrate star values?

I get the point you're trying to make.

But I dont know why you're trying to make it with a player like Iginla, who is still damn good. The #25-30 pick in a year and a half, Noreau, and Thomas is a tick or two into the absurd.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Run to the playoffs.

The thing about the Devils is that they were 4 games over .500. If they played 82 games it's possible they missed the playoffs altogether. If Detroit won with their dominant record no one in their right mind would say their cup was tainted.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Run to the playoffs.

Speak for yourself. I never bashed the Devils. That team destroyed a stacked Detroit team in the finals. They were playing their best hockey in May/June, which is all you can ask for.

A lot of Ranger fans tried to de-legitimize it, and they should feel like complete hypocrites if the Rangers make a run this season.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Morrow from Dallas?

Would love to see this happen, maybe he comes in the off season with Dallas looking to hand the reigns over to Benn.

Another guy I think would be a good pickup, and I've harrassed Jim Cerny about this, is Boyd Gordon out of Phoenix.

Righty shot, good on draws, better athlete than Halpern, and can fill a variety of roles on wing, center, third or fourth line. Proven player in under Tippets tight checking system, a guy who know how to play the game the right way.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
And what are you trading for Getzlaf?

You don't see the Anaheim firesale coming? Selanne's going to retire, Perry and Getzlaf have expiring contracts and are sure to bolt to contenders, and Ryan's been on the trade block at times for the last two years. That team has to rebuild. Some combination of mid-level prospects and picks could get it done. Considering how close the Rangers are, I'd be willing to give up a little more than normal to bring him in on a rental.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I could see something like:

Douglas Murray and Shawn Horcoff (to be amnestied at the end of the year with Redden)

I'd love to add Murray. Horcoff is an offensive upgrade over Halpern, though Halpern is better on draws. As you said though, he'd be a buyout candidate so it wouldn't even matter if he was just a scratch.

Murray would be a nice guy to have work with McIlrath in the future. Not a fighter like Dylan, but plays a nice, simple, physical style that McIlrath could learn from.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
You don't see the Anaheim firesale coming? Selanne's going to retire, Perry and Getzlaf have expiring contracts and are sure to bolt to contenders, and Ryan's been on the trade block at times for the last two years. That team has to rebuild. Some combination of mid-level prospects and picks could get it done.

A fire sale doesn't mean they're going to just give their players away.

Considering how close the Rangers are, I'd be willing to give up a little more than normal to bring him in on a rental.

Good. Start by naming a Ranger you don't want to trade.

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'd love to add Murray. Horcoff is an offensive upgrade over Halpern, though Halpern is better on draws. As you said though, he'd be a buyout candidate so it wouldn't even matter if he was just a scratch.

Murray would be a nice guy to have work with McIlrath in the future. Not a fighter like Dylan, but plays a nice, simple, physical style that McIlrath could learn from.

I actually think Horcoff would make for a very solid #3 center who can PK and play well in all (3) zones. Sather does his Edmonton friends a favor and they don't have to pay the actual dollars that would be needed fora buyout.

I would love Murray as a 3rd pairing, physical presence. Pair him with Stralman and have a nice Swede pairing in front of Hank.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The NHL compliance buyouts in 2005 were for players under contract and on the roster when the lockout began. The NBA amnesty was for players under contract and on the roster when the lockout began. Teams were not allowed to trade for a player and then amnesty him. That's defeating the purpose of what amnesty means.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
You don't see the Anaheim firesale coming? Selanne's going to retire, Perry and Getzlaf have expiring contracts and are sure to bolt to contenders, and Ryan's been on the trade block at times for the last two years. That team has to rebuild. Some combination of mid-level prospects and picks could get it done. Considering how close the Rangers are, I'd be willing to give up a little more than normal to bring him in on a rental.

Do tell.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The NHL compliance buyouts in 2005 were for players under contract and on the roster when the lockout began. The NBA amnesty was for players under contract and on the roster when the lockout began. Teams were not allowed to trade for a player and then amnesty him. That's defeating the purpose of what amnesty means.

Do we know if that is the case in this agreement?

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

I think if we managed to land Ryan Getzlaf I'd find someone else to part with and make it a point to keep him here. He's a pretty good center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad