Speculation: Possible targets from teams with cap issues this summer

Dafp

May 3, 2016
UK
Shero has form for turning 2nd and 3rd round picks into nice players from teams up against the cap. We've just gained a spare 2nd and 3rd. Who would you target this summer if you were Shero?

Tampa needs to pay Point - Callaghan and a prospect always seems to get mentioned on here.
Calgary needs to pay Tkachuk - yes Smith is UFA but they'll still need to sign a starting goalie so could have a problem.
San Jose needs to pay Meier - a few UFAs but if they want to keep Karlsson, Pavelski then they may have issues.

There's a few other teams that are in a mess up there.

Realistically, what bargains could be had?

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
I would do a lot of things to get Jack Roslovic in New Jersey. He seems like the type of guy who will continue to see lower minutes for the Jets as their cup window is open and may eventually be snug against the cap. Cheveldayoff, however, has proven to be solid on the trade front and more than patient

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Shero has form for turning 2nd and 3rd round picks into nice players from teams up against the cap. We've just gained a spare 2nd and 3rd. Who would you target this summer if you were Shero?

Tampa needs to pay Point - Callaghan and a prospect always seems to get mentioned on here.
Calgary needs to pay Tkachuk - yes Smith is UFA but they'll still need to sign a starting goalie so could have a problem.
San Jose needs to pay Meier - a few UFAs but if they want to keep Karlsson, Pavelski then they may have issues.

There's a few other teams that are in a mess up there.

Realistically, what bargains could be had?

Just what this team needs. Another decaying hockey body to help other teams out while we extend the rebuild on and on and on.

We also totally need another horrible goalie.

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
I still think Anaheim will see themselves crash hard against the cap ceiling this summer and it could be the Devils' chance to get Henrique back (not that I'm a big fan of his or his contract) or bring in Fowler. $10m available with 16 contracts on the books. To think that 7 skaters will share $10m when they already have some space junk on the roster makes me think they'll need to ship someone out of importance

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I still think Anaheim will see themselves crash hard against the cap ceiling this summer and it could be the Devils' chance to get Henrique back (not that I'm a big fan of his or his contract) or bring in Fowler. $10m available with 16 contracts on the books. To think that 7 skaters will share $10m when they already have some space junk on the roster makes me think they'll need to ship someone out of importance
I wouldn’t touch Henrique with a ten foot pole. His tendency to sleepwalk through 10-15 game stretches is asinine and is a big reason why he was moved for a better player. He was probably one of the players called out by Ray and Hynes after the 2016-2017 season for being a passenger.

Reactions: Bleedred

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Alec Martinez, Justin Braun? Maybe take on one of the shorter Detroit contracts (Green, Ericsson) with a pick?

Also, holy shit did Detroit hand out NTC/NMCs like candy.

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
I wouldn’t touch Henrique with a ten foot pole. His tendency to sleepwalk through 10-15 game stretches is asinine and is a big reason why he was moved for a better player. He was probably one of the players called out by Ray and Hynes after the 2016-2017 season for being a passenger.

Fair, I wasn't his biggest fan either. I found his inconsistency infuriating.

Not that this is cap related, but what're the odds the Devils try to strike a defense for offense deal with Carolina? Not sure how comfortable they feel with their defense for their current run, but if they are ok moving one of Pesce, Faulk, or Hamilton as suggested by TFP, Devils could make a good play with Mojo+. Mojo + Santini for Pesce or Mojo + Severson for Dougie would help in a big way

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

meh. if they retain salary on rico i’d take him back

Reactions: Bet the Over

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
With Stone already off the market and rumblings of a roster shakeup I hope Ray at least shops Palmieri to see what his market value is

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Winnipeg, lots of opportunity this summer with Winnipeg. After signing Laine and Connor they'll have about 6-7m left with a few guys ( Trouba / Myers ) to sign.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Zucker and Brodin, if Minnesota decides to rebuild.

Buffalo could decide to move on from Ristolainen, who I have mixed feelings about.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Winnipeg, lots of opportunity this summer with Winnipeg. After signing Laine and Connor they'll have about 6-7m left with a few guys ( Trouba / Myers ) to sign.

I mentioned it earlier in this thread but I would have my eye on Roslovic. He was rumored to be on the table at the deadline. Classic case of a guy who is down on the depth chart due to the Jets having a boatload of talent. Palmieri-type situation hopefully.

I also hope Shero looks at Fowler from Anaheim. He's signed to a long term deal and would fill a massive need on our left side. I love the idea of Fowler and Smith anchoring our top 4 for years to come.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

Buffalo could decide to move on from Ristolainen, who I have mixed feelings about.
Brodin is definitely someone I really want here. He also had a down year so there's an outside chance we can buy low.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Sounded like the Kings were open to moving Martinez, but he got hurt so that ruined his immediate trade value. I'd think they'll revisit that at the draft.

As mentioned, Tampa's gonna need to carve out some cap space to pay Point. J.T. Miller would be their easiest piece to move since he doesn't have a NTC (unlike say Palat/Killorn).

Allegedly Shero kicked the tires on Michael Frolik when he was a free agent. Don't know if he'd still have interest, but I could see Calgary trying to move him (for cheap) to free up cap space for Tkachuk. Obviously Frolik's not gonna generate a ton of excitement.

Reactions: Oneiro

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I mentioned it earlier in this thread but I would have my eye on Roslovic. He was rumored to be on the table at the deadline. Classic case of a guy who is down on the depth chart due to the Jets having a boatload of talent. Palmieri-type situation hopefully.

I also hope Shero looks at Fowler from Anaheim. He's signed to a long term deal and would fill a massive need on our left side. I love the idea of Fowler and Smith anchoring our top 4 for years to come.

I'm pretty sure that it was reported a few days ago that Anaheim didn't want to move Fowler. He also has a 4 team trade list, so there are some significant obstacles to get him. With Anaheim losing defensemen like Vatanen, Theodore and Montour in less than 2 years, I don't think they'll be in a rush to move more established defensemen anyway.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Myers is not likely returning to Winnipeg, and would represent exactly the type of player the Devils should look at in the UFA market. The Devils blueline is physically underwhelming, and Myers would certainly move the needle on our propensity to be pushed around by teams with physical forwards. Myers' skating and puck skills are both good, and he has a nice shot from the point. He's also a right-shot, which would improve our depth there for 2019-20 to Vatanen/Myers/Severson/Santini.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

Re: Roslovic - was he? I read that Winnipeg emphatically said he wouldn’t be moved. I’d love to have him.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I agree that anyone can pretty much be had from Minnesota. New GM Paul Fenton makes impetuous deals like a fantasy GM. Though I give him kudos for getting Donato for Coyle, the Granlund for Fiala deal was a bit puzzling and the Niederreiter for Risk trade was an abject abomination. Zucker was reportedly in play at the deadline, and he's a very fast and versatile player who would fit in nicely with the Devils' model.

As for Brodin, he's not as good as Butcher on LD in my mind, and he's probably about even with Andy Greene. He'd be an upgrade over Mueller. But keep in mind that Ty Smith should crack the line-up next year, and by 2021 he will likely be better than all of these guys. I just don't think Brodin moves the needle enough to risk futures on.

Ristolainen is a very good defenseman who is young and logs a ton of minutes in all situations. Jason Botterill would be foolish to trade him.

Reactions: My3Sons and Oneiro

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I'm a huge fan of Roslovic, I have been since he played at the US-NTDP. I think I was the first person I saw to rank him in the top-25 in his draft year. The kid just has tremendous upside. But everything I've heard indicates that he was off-limits at the trade deadline, and some believe that's why the Jets did not land local Winnipeg-native Mark Stone.

Fowler is an interesting thought, however. Anaheim loves to ice a big team and they are a common trade partner with Ray Shero -- maybe if the Devils offered Mueller and Zacha, they'd bite.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I'm a huge fan of Roslovic, I have been since he played at the US-NTDP. I think I was the first person I saw to rank him in the top-25 in his draft year. The kid just has tremendous upside. But everything I've heard indicates that he was off-limits at the trade deadline, and some believe that's why the Jets did not land local Winnipeg-native Mark Stone.

Fowler is an interesting thought, however. Anaheim loves to ice a big team and they are a common trade partner with Ray Shero -- maybe if the Devils offered Mueller and Zacha, they'd bite.

Would Anaheim be looking for a LHD with the recent Montour/Guhle trade? Since were talking about young defense-first seldom-utilized bottom4 guys would Santini work in his place? I have no problem trading either, just thinking they might prefer the RHD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad