McKenzie: Possible Contract value for Duchene/Stone

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
McKenzie: Clarity coming soon on Stone, Duchene

“My needle on Stone and Duchene is that they’re not going to sign in Ottawa and they’re going to be traded,” indicated McKenzie. “Now, I guess they could. And I’m sure Ottawa will continue here in the next number of days to try and take a run at that, but I don’t know.
“I think by the time Monday rolls around - two weeks out from the trade deadline - we’re going to have some clarity on the guys in Ottawa.”
McKenzie then went on to describe the potential relation between the team’s UFA situation and the timing of Eugene Melnyk’s cap-related comments from this week.
Stone is on a one-year, $7.35 million contract, after which he can become an unrestricted free agent.
Duchene is finishing up a five-year, $30 million pact, and can also become a UFA July 1.
It’s also worth noting that in the same episode of the Bobcast, McKenzie said, “There’s no doubt in my mind that Stone’s going to get $9 million-plus in the open market. I think a guy like Duchene would get $8 million-plus on the open market.”

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
More big fish into the trade pool....TSN this morning reported that contenders didn't like the asking prices on available guys so far (mentioned Bruins/Preds regarding Panarin specifically)....maybe adding Duchene and Stone into the mix changes that.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
John Tavares hitting UFA last year was the best thing to happen to the NHL, now that he's done it, other stars are starting to see what's out there instead of just signing a new deal like they ALWAYS did in the past.

But that's changed now and because of that we have the most exciting deadline and potentially free agency coming up in years

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
John Tavares hitting UFA last year was the best thing to the NHL, now that he's done it, other stars are starting to see what's out there instead of just signing a new deal like they ALWAYS did in the past.

But that's changed now and because of that we have the most exciting deadline and potentially free agency coming up in years

I don't feel he affects these 3 really.
Ottawa has been the biggest mess there is for the last 12+ months and Panarin has always been questionable.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
John Tavares hitting UFA last year was the best thing to the NHL, now that he's done it, other stars are starting to see what's out there instead of just signing a new deal like they ALWAYS did in the past.

Yeah causing the next lockout is just fantastic for the NHL

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
At first I scoffed at 8 million for Duchene but then remembered my own team is playing RyJo 8 million.
He’s definitely getting at least $8M on the open market. I’m guessing a team will be desperate and give him $9.5M. I could see the Habs giving him that kind of bread.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
At first I scoffed at 8 million for Duchene but then remembered my own team is playing RyJo 8 million.
Little over on Ryjo, little under on Fil and especially Arvy. It works for JOFA.
But I think Duchene might be the only one of the big names we'd have a shot at resigning since he loves Nashville.

Reactions: BonMorrison

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
He’s definitely getting at least $8M on the open market. I’m guessing a team will be desperate and give him $9.5M. I could see the Habs giving him that kind of bread.
That would be a huge overpay for Duchene. The best season he's ever had is 70 pts and the next highest was 67 pts and the next was 59 pts. In 10 years most of his seasons have been 59 pts or less.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
That would be a huge overpay for Duchene. The best season he's ever had is 70 pts and the next highest was 67 pts and the next was 59 pts. In 10 years most of his seasons have been 59 pts or less.
agreed both guys are getting big cake. Stone's best season is 64 pts obviously his value is found on the defensive side too, but 9M+ still seems high

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I agree.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
agreed both guys are getting big cake. Stone's best season is 64 pts obviously his value is found on the defensive side too, but 9M+ still seems high
I’d rather give Stone $9M than Duchene, but I understand what you’re saying.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I’d rather give Stone $9M than Duchene, but I understand what you’re saying.

depends on the team id think?

i pegged Duchene around what Logan Couture got (8x8M). Similar point pace the last 3 years, Duchene having a stellar contract year and is a bit younger.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne

Yeah, but the other way of looking at it is his career ppg rate is 0.84, which pro rates to 68 points over an 82 game season. And the last two seasons he's clearly been a point-per-game player.

Injuries obviously have to be a consideration in any big contract, but so too should be expected performance.

In fact, expected performance should be the #1 consideration when signing any player. When that is lost sight of, you get like Glen Sather era Rangers style signings.

Reactions: DRW204

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Would like to see Montreal move some wingers + picks/prospects for left D and take a hard run at Stone if he goes to UFA. Adding someone like Fowler, Stone, Suzuki and Poehling all into the lineup next year would be gross

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Yet, you ask for a 1st and a prospect for him and everyone loses their minds.

Who would not give a first+prospect for Stone as a rental? Of course, depend on the prospect, but it is certainly a fair price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad