Possible cheap partial solution to defense

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
He has the mobility for Lavy's system and from that article he seems to be in game shape. Would be worth a try out for sure. I think working with a true professional like Kimmo would be good for him too.

funghoul

Pejorative Sluro montalbon
Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs
Homer's gonna make a move. were stocked enough to package a deal worth a top tenner in the league and you know its a comin between now and april.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I would give him a shot. Problem is when everyone gets healthy we'll end up with like 12 NHL d-men. The real problem is actually that more then half will be bottom pairing guys.

Going forward I would love to draft some d in the high rounds if possible and trade for someone like Rundblad.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
Count me in for the "Homer is gonna do something big" group. You don't go that hard after Weber, Suter, Parise and even Nash then be content with nothing.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
i also believe homer will do something. i even think he might do something really quick and surprise everyone. quick as in as soon as trades are allowed. maybe the reason foster was signed was to plug him into the bottom paring because someone is on the move?

maybe edler, kulikov or subban. preferably kulikov.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Count me in for the "Homer is gonna do something big" group. You don't go that hard after Weber, Suter, Parise and even Nash then be content with nothing.

Those are top players and those type of caliber of players aren't available often. I personally don't see him doing much more this season.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The list of teams with bona fide #1 defensemen available is pretty short. There's a reason why Holmgren bid against himself to get Pronger.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
The list of teams with bona fide #1 defensemen available is pretty short. There's a reason why Holmgren bid against himself to get Pronger.

maybe not necessarily a bonafide #1. I'm thinking more like a guy like Kulikov. Who may become a #1 type guy down the road. maybe not a norris candidate or an elite top flight defenseman but still potentially a #1 nonetheless

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
maybe not necessarily a bonafide #1. I'm thinking more like a guy like Kulikov. Who may become a #1 type guy down the road. maybe not a norris candidate or an elite top flight defenseman but still potentially a #1 nonetheless

There's going to be rebuilding of the defense upcoming, the problem is the Flyers have been terrible at developing defensemen from the farm, so they might be forced to overvalue other teams' old news.

rban*

The thing is, all you need is one top flight Dmen. When Boston won, other than Chara not a single dman was really that impressive. Really, other than Chara, which Bruin Dman was significantly superior to the likes of Meszaros, Grossman, Coburn, even Schenn? Boynton? Ference? Dont think so...

Same thing with LA Kings. Doughty is great, but after him? STEEP dropoff in talent. Willie Mitchell? Gill ? Big deal.

In some ways building a Cup winning d corps has become easier recently, In 2001 Colorado boasted three superstar dmen, Bourque, Blake and possbly Foote.

WE JUST NEED one. C'mon Philly, please just get one guy! One superstar dman.
Please!

I fully understand and appreciate why they went so hard after Weber.Some people complained at the time and said:

'OK he's really good, but can one guy make that much difference'.

Well, yes he can these days. In 2001 just having a Rob Blake without a Bourque to back him up would not have been enough. These days, seems it is quite enough! Instead of having a Bourque backing up a Blake, a Luke Schenn or Mesazaros backing up a Weber seems like enough.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
The thing is, all you need is one top flight Dmen. When Boston won, other than Chara not a single dman was really that impressive. Really, other than Chara, which Bruin Dman was significantly superior to the likes of Meszaros, Grossman, Coburn, even Schenn? Boynton? Ference? Dont think so...

Same thing with LA Kings. Doughty is great, but after him? STEEP dropoff in talent. Willie Mitchell? Gill ? Big deal.

In some ways building a Cup winning d corps has become easier recently, In 2001 Colorado boasted three superstar dmen, Bourque, Blake and possbly Foote.

WE JUST NEED one. C'mon Philly, please just get one guy! One superstar dman.
Please!

I fully understand and appreciate why they went so hard after Weber.Some people complained at the time and said:

'OK he's really good, but can one guy make that much difference'.

Well, yes he can these days. In 2001 just having a Rob Blake without a Bourque to back him up would not have been enough. These days, seems it is quite enough! Instead of having a Bourque backing up a Blake, a Luke Schenn or Mesazaros backing up a Weber seems like enough.

Both Boston and LA had D's that played some pretty great defense. And Willie Mitchell? I'd love to have him on this team. Hockey is a team sport.

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
If we're making a move for a #1, who do we give up without hurting the forward depth? The weber OS was nice because we didn't lose any roster players.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

Mitchell and Scuderi (your 'Gill') are the kind of defenseman that you need to win championships. The only 'STEEP' drop off is in offensive ability; Mitchell and Scuderi both outclass Doughty defensively.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Mitchell and Scuderi (your 'Gill') are the kind of defenseman that you need to win championships. The only 'STEEP' drop off is in offensive ability; Mitchell and Scuderi both outclass Doughty defensively.
Yup.

Alot of our future hope is that Luke Schenn becomes the player he can be.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Prepared to offer 8mil+? Otherwise, you are not scaring off the Canadians or panthers

I think that's probably truer for Subban than Kulikov.

Do you think FLA could / would pay Kulikov $6 million. (I'm not saying he's worth that, or that I would want the Flyers to do it, but I don't think you need to get to highest-paid D in the league territory either).

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I think that's probably truer for Subban than Kulikov.

Do you think FLA could / would pay Kulikov $6 million. (I'm not saying he's worth that, or that I would want the Flyers to do it, but I don't think you need to get to highest-paid D in the league territory either).
Yes. I absolutely think FLA will not let their premium asset walk for anything under 6. (1st,2nd,3rd in one draft comp is nothing to me). And no, I don't want to pay either guy this.

Much like we won't be just letting giroux, Schenn, or Couts go
For anything under 6 either. I dont want to pay Schenn or Couts that...but if you want to poach an RFA you cannot play around. If someone wants them, they are going I have to pay...because
I'm 99 sure we will match, and deal with it. This is why home should lock them up before they hit RFA.

With the new system, we can't offer 5mil per for 15 years (player stability = incentive) to keep our cap low (team incentive).

rban*

Mitchell and Scuderi wer both deemed so superfluous they were practically thrown away by Nucks and Pens. How good are they, really??

OK let's get specific. How much better are Mitchell are Scuderi than Schenn and Grossman?

All four seem to slot into the same category and skill level: defensively responsible stay at home guys .

The only difference being the first two get to play with superstar Doughty (not saying they play on the same pairing, but on the same team), while our two get to play with Meszaros and Coburn.

rban*

I'd love to see a big move. I could part with some of our forwards and picks if it meant bringing in that blue line horse.

Hopefully we wouldnt have to part with forwards. A combo of picks and defensemen would be preferable IF we are able to bring in a star dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad