Posible Primeau Conspiracy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
John Flyers Fan said:
He was also one of Team Canada's best players in Nagano in 1998.

I like Primeau. I'd love to have him on my team. But, Nagano was six years ago.
I just don't think there is a conspiracy. Canada has a lot of damn good players. You can't take them all.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ironchef Chris Wok said:
Yes. And that team sure went places :shakehead

That team actually played far better than the Salt Lake team.

Canada 3 - Sweden 2
Canada 4 - USA 1
Canada 4 - Kazakhstan 1

They lose when Hasek stands on his head in the semi-finals.

Sweden 5 - Canada 2
Canada 3 - Germany 2
Canada 3 - Czechs 3

Canada 2 - Finland 1
Canada 7 - Belarus 1
Canada 5 - USA 2

Canada played one real good game, and won the gold.

It happens, in single elimination the best team doesn't always win.

Canada had played the best in 1998 and lost. The US was the best overall team in 2002 and lost.

J-D

Feb 27, 2002
the dizzle!
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
The better conspriracy would be:

The 4 men that picked the roster, Gretzky, Lowe, Tambellini, and Nill all work for teams that play in the Western Conference.

Of the 23 skaters selected, 15 play in the West.

Zing!!!

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
Gags1288 said:
Here's a hint, watch the guy play hockey. It would really help your assessment a lot. He scored 7 goals and yet was named to the allstar team. He scored 7 goals and yet was probably the front runner for the Selke trophy. He also missed a conciderable amount of time so you must consider that when analyzing his numbers. He's not just having a fine playoff, he's been the best player in the playoffs. If they named a conn smyth without a cup champ, he'd win it. He's a force at both ends of the ice and has been incredible. He's scored big time goals in the playoffs and was one of it not the very best player at Nagano. Put all those things together and don't forget that he's the guy you'd want against Jagr's, Forsberg's, Sundin's, Roenick's, and Tkachuk's of the league and it is rediculous that he isn't on the team.

I'm pleading with you, watch the guy play!

I've seen him play. He's a good player. But IMO, his place was taken by Doan, who will probably line up with Draper and Maltby and form Canada's shut-down line. Between Doan and Primeau, I would take Doan hands down.

Primeau has also been a bit of a problem. He left Detroit on bad terms, and held out in Carolina. When the Flyers' were embarassed in the playoffs by Ottawa a few years ago, he came out the next day and blamed the coach, Barber.

Also, while he has been good in the playoffs, I think Iginla has been the best non-goalie. But this is a debate for another thread.

Had Primeau been named to Team Canada, I wouldn't complain. But I'm just as comfortable with his non-selection.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
davedave said:
Primeau has also been a bit of a problem. He left Detroit on bad terms, and held out in Carolina. When the Flyers' were embarassed in the playoffs by Ottawa a few years ago, he came out the next day and blamed the coach, Barber.

Bit of a problem? He's been nothing but a model captain and player since Hitchcock has been in town. If past troubles are a reason that Primeau isn't on the team, then why are Belfour, Heatley, and Thornton, three players with recent legal troubles (more recent than Primeau's time in Detroit and Carolina) on the team? Because it doesn't matter. None of what you said above has any relevance to making the team.

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
Dr Love said:
Bit of a problem? He's been nothing but a model captain and player since Hitchcock has been in town. If past troubles are a reason that Primeau isn't on the team, then why are Belfour, Heatley, and Thornton, three players with recent legal troubles (more recent than Primeau's time in Detroit and Carolina) on the team? Because it doesn't matter. None of what you said above has any relevance to making the team.

It probably doesn't have any relevance to Gretzky and co. But it is relevant as to why I am not all cracked up about his non-selection. I tend to dislike players who hold out for more money, especially players who regard themselves as team guys and real leaders. I also find it hard to accept that sort of self-description from a guy who publicly sells out his coach a day after he and his teammates got whipped by a better team.

Again, he could have made the team and I wouldn't have complained. But I think there is a bit of an infatuation with him right now because of Philly's current playoff run.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
AGraveOne said:
Primeau is sooooo overrated...geesh. He is a freaking clod....i've never seen any player in the NHL bust a 3 on none like he did. Sure he can bang...but i think that Flyers team is SOLID period. It is not just Primeau.

Matthew Barnaby had a freaking 13pt playoffs (7g 6a) in '98....in 15g and a less offensive powered team...SO.

Primeau is a clod and team canada made a fine decision. The team could use Primeau but will be fine without him.

you are in the serious minority with this one. to compare what happened to 98 with Barnaby has nothing to do with the now. that comparison is very weak at best.
Primeau is one of the best checking centers in the league. period. end of discussion. if it wasnt for that cheap hit he took from Holik during the regular season he would have been a Selke finalist.
oh but wait its all about scoring goals. thats the only thing that matters :shakehead

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
The better conspriracy would be:

The 4 men that picked the roster, Gretzky, Lowe, Tambellini, and Nill all work for teams that play in the Western Conference.

Of the 23 skaters selected, 15 play in the West.

Didn't Quinn, Hitchcock & Martin have say in this as well.

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
They made Canada a real small team this year, so they will rely more on skill then grit. Let's see if it works, if it doesn't we can rip Gretz apart for not putting in some bigger bodies.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
ClarkeMustGoDotCom said:
if it wasnt for that cheap hit he took from Holik during the regular season he would have been a Selke finalist.

I like Primeau a lot and I'm not a Rangers or Flyers fan. That said, it wasn't a cheap hit. It was two guys not looking.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
rob_paxon said:
I like Primeau a lot and I'm not a Rangers or Flyers fan. That said, it wasn't a cheap hit. It was two guys not looking.
Yes, that's the way it appeared. However if you took Holik's comments to heart he said things like he saw him coming and tried to brace himself. A comment like that sure makes it sound like he could have done something to get out of the way or at least not elbow Primeau in the head.

Dale

Nov 22, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
Judging by the quotes coming from Hitchcock, he basically had no input.

On a TV interview Hitchcock said he wanted Primeau on the team but he only had one vote. Maybe that was just his way of saying he had no say-who knows.

rye&ginger

Jan 4, 2004
Vancouver
Maple Leafs Forever said:
Conspiracy my ass.

Wayne Gretzky specifically kept the coaches out of discussion this time around, so Hitchcock had zilch to do with it. As others have said its more than likely his regular season performance which kept him our of the lineup.

Tambellini on Vancouver radio said the coaches were very involved in the discussion. They had video or phone conferences. Where are you getting your info?

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
rye&ginger said:
Tambellini on Vancouver radio said the coaches were very involved in the discussion. They had video or phone conferences. Where are you getting your info?

Quotes from Hitchcock where he had almost no input on player selection.

Perhaps Quinn and Martin had more input as their teams had been eliminated from the playoffs, and Hitchcock still has a bit of work to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad