OT: Popularity

Schadenfreude

Armchair Expert
May 14, 2014
Torana, ON
Why is it that The Leafs are so unpopular in other parts of Canada. Yet The Raps and The Jays do so well. Is it that the latter have no competition within Canada? But the same argument that it's Toronto doesn't apply to them. The same people who hate the Leafs, will love the Jays or Raps.

AssaultPK

Jul 22, 2014
Why is it that The Leafs are so unpopular in other parts of Canada. Yet The Raps and The Jays do so well. Is it that the latter have no competition within Canada? But the same argument that it's Toronto doesn't apply to them. The same people who hate the Leafs, will love the Jays or Raps.

You answered your own question.

AssaultPK

Jul 22, 2014
Put it this way, the Toronto Argonauts can suck it. But if Toronto ever got an NFL team I would jump right on board.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
That doesn't explain the dreaded Toronto dislike. They're still The Toronto Blue Jays and Toronto Raptors.

There's a documentary that tackles this very topic called "Let's all hate Toronto." I've never seen it myself, but I bet it'd be an interesting watch. Hell the whole mindset of the rest of Canada would make a great case study.

Without getting too political, Tom Mulcair a politician running in the upcoming federal election recently called Toronto "Canada's most important city." While some people didn't care and actually agreed, some people really disliked the comment, and others said it was a bad move politically. But why? Is it really impossible to talk about Toronto in a positive manner in other parts of the country?

It's such a crazy phenomenon. I wonder if other countries hate on their biggest city as much as the rest of Canada does here.

To answer your question, I think people have a strong dislike of Toronto because of the massive media attention the city garners. In regards to sports, the Leafs are covered quite extensively on the major sports network. Toronto was also for the longest time Canada's only major English speaking metropolitan area. It's only the past decade and a half that Vancouver has caught up, with Calgary following close behind.

There's also this perceived notion that Toronto isn't really Canada, whatever that means. If it's in regards to rude people I don't see the difference between downtown Toronto and downtown Montreal or Ottawa. Of course, the notion that Toronto isn't Canada is a fickle mindset. Remember that Leafs game where the American anthem singers microphone went out, and the arena in classy fashion finished it off for them? Boy there was a hell of a lot of pats on the back and Canadian pride and patriotism online with regards to that. People quickly forgot about that though when a video surfaced of a cop diffusing a road rage incident and the comments were "It's Toronto, of course this happens."

This post is longer than I wanted it to be. The last reason people dislike Toronto is the perception that Torontonians are self absorbed and arrogant. This stereotype his hand in hand with a lot of other major cities, so that just comes with the territory. And honestly, that last sentence really sums this whole thing up. The hate Toronto receives is the result of being a large major city.

Last edited:

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
That doesn't explain the dreaded Toronto dislike. They're still The Toronto Blue Jays and Toronto Raptors.

You can hate the city (for whatever reason non-Canada representatives think ;) ) But you're most likely going to forget about that hate for pride of your country (We The North) if you like a sport team, like Jays/Raptors, that is the only one in your region.

Hell, I'd guess that even in some states that when theres only one team in state. Might hate Chicago/Detroit/NY for whatever reason, but you'll be repping that city come playoffs

A minor reason would probably be its the most played of your sport of choice on TV. You aren't going to pick a team that's in florida that you've never heard about on the TV, if you have a team in Cali that's broadcasted every night.

Also, I hate the Jets fans so thus I hate the Jets, I think that applies to the Leafs in this scenario to some extent as well :)

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

What are you even talking about seriously?

Hockey: Our national sport. There are 7 Canadian teams across the whole country, most of them in major cities. This is obviously going to create a divide Canada wide as people gravitate most times to the team closest to them. Obviously not in all cases, but it's a significant factor.

Baseball/Basketball: Two growing sports within Canada. Only one Canadian team for each league.

It's not a "Toronto" factor. People are just patriotic and say I'll go for the Canadian team. There's 7 of those in hockey. Figure it out

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
There's a documentary that tackles this very topic called "Let's all hate Toronto." I've never seen it myself, but I bet it'd be an interesting watch. Hell the whole mindset of the rest of Canada would make a great case study.

Without getting too political, Tom Mulcair a politician running in the upcoming federal election recently called Toronto "Canada's most important city." While some people didn't care and actually agreed, some people really disliked the comment, and others said it was a bad move politically. But why? Is it really impossible to talk about Toronto in a positive manner in other parts of the country?

It's such a crazy phenomenon. I wonder if other countries hate on their biggest city as much as the rest of Canada does here.

To answer your question, I think people have a strong dislike of Toronto because of the massive media attention the city garners. In regards to sports, the Leafs are covered quite extensively on the major sports network. Toronto was also for the longest time Canada's only major English speaking metropolitan area. It's only the past decade and a half that Vancouver has caught up, with Calgary following close behind.

There's also this perceived notion that Toronto isn't really Canada, whatever that means. If it's in regards to rude people I don't see the difference between downtown Toronto and downtown Montreal or Ottawa. Of course, the notion that Toronto isn't Canada is a fickle mindset. Remember that Leafs game where the American anthem singers microphone went out, and the arena in classy fashion finished it off for them? Boy there was a hell of a lot of pats on the back and Canadian pride and patriotism online with regards to that. People quickly forgot about that though when a video surfaced of a cop diffusing a road rage incident and the comments were "It's Toronto, of course this happens."

This post is longer than I wanted it to be. The last reason people dislike Toronto is the perception that Torontonians are self absorbed and arrogant. This stereotype his hand in hand with a lot of other major cities, so that just comes with the territory. And honestly, that last sentence really sums this whole thing up. The hate Toronto receives is the result of being a large major city.

Good points all around. I grew up in Ottawa and was constantly exposed to the negative Toronto stereotypes (although not as bad as in Western Canada). When I moved to the GTA, I was always surprised to hear that whenever I mentioned Ottawa or other Canadian cities to people, the response was "I love that place! It's beautiful". Rarely did i get a negative comment. This, of course, led me to the conclusion that the Toronto hate is pretty irrational and probably fuelled, in part, by an inferiority complex.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I used to be a Leafs fan... Because Ottawa did not have a team.

Leafs are hated by many because Leafs fans go to home games of their cities team. It isn't as dramatic in other Canadian cities as it is in Ottawa... But it is still significant.

Add in that the National media covers the Leafs twice as much as all other Canadian teams combined... Even when the Leafs are irrelevant and it is not hard to understand the dislike.

The Jays now can get Expos fans. Expos fans really got disgusted and disinterested in baseball after the 94 strike and the Expos losing their team. Now more time has passed. The Jays can sellout preseason games in Olympic Stadium. If the Jays can make the World Series they can truly be Canada's team and win over the residual Expos fans and also not big sports fans that will tune in because the Jays are a Canadian team in the World Series.

The key for the Jays and Raptors is winning. Both have the potential to be among the most popular teams in their leagues... If they can get all 35 million Canadians behind them. Bigger market then LA and New York. Toronto alone is the 4th biggest metro in North America.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

They are marketed by the owners as Canada's teams, not just as Toronto's teams. Toronto is just where the Canadian team resides in Canada. They are both loaded with red Maple Leafs whether on their uniforms or other paraphernalia. Many times you'll hear them called and referred to as Canada's teams on TV and elsewhere. (They can't call themselves the Canadian Jays or the Canadian Raptors since the leagues won't allow that. Stuff like the Golden state Warriors name are only allowed because of an old tradition.)

The Toronto Maple Leafs do the same, but there are seven hockey teams in Canada which splits away some fans and there is inter Canadian team rivalry which is shown as fans jeer each other. Keep in mind that hockey teams and traditions were established back in the 1940's or before and there wasn't this nationalism pull as there is now. There are Leafs fans across the country leftover from when there was only the original six but many Canadians also pulled for the other four non Canadian teams as well and that is also established across the country. Even so, the Leafs are still marketed by MLSE across the country as well but with the old traditions and the new seven team rivalry it is doubtful the Leafs will attain the same Canadian status as the Jays or Raptors.

Where this gets weird is when some local Torontonians have decided that these Toronto named teams are their teams and don't belong to others across the country. These are the idiots who cause discontent and are a headache for the owners of the three clubs. (It was getting stupid when a handful of local Torontonians wanted the Raptors name changed to the Huskies, an old Toronto team, but MLSE quashed that.) Luckily these fools are few and most Torontonians welcome others pulling for teams with their name.

Last edited:

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London

I think it's part of it. I think the players on the Raptors and Jays are just more likable as well. Hell, I'm a Leafs fan and there aren't many players that I liked on the Leafs last season.

But really, there is no competition Canada wide for these teams. I think that's the main factor.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't think is single causation:

1) No other professional competition

2) the other teams are winning

3) Leafs are Canada's most popular team, they have fans in other teams hockey arenas

4) Some in the rest of Canada have an irrational dislike of Toronto. I can't count how many times I've heard "I hate Toronto" since moving out West from people who haven't even been east of Thunder Bay in their entire lives.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
We're the only Canadian city with more than 1 major sports team. That being said, other parts of Canada that are fans of sports like basketball/baseball want to cheer for a team they feel like represents them. I got tons of family out in BC, they support the jays/raptors but are also HUGE fans of Seattle's teams as it's right across the border

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
wut the hell u talkin about leafs have the most fans in the world

and they havent been like cup contenders in a while

leafs are the best

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
They have no Canadian competition. Its not rocket surgery.

combined_skills.jpg

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
There's also this perceived notion that Toronto isn't really Canada,

My friends drove down to NS, and we're shocked when kids came out, saying "go back to your own country"

To this day, none of us understood that.

I think its a "Big Bay Street" phenomenon, where all the bankers are who make rules and take money. I too have encountered, people say they hate Toronto, but have never been.

I've also heard Swedes say they hate Sundin, since he is from Stockholm, and Forsberg is not.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Add in that the National media covers the Leafs twice as much as all other Canadian teams combined... Even when the Leafs are irrelevant and it is not hard to understand the dislike.

The Habs get a ton of coverage too, but are not nearly as hated as the Leafs are.

Also, the media talks about the Leafs the most because they ARE always relevant, at least in terms of ratings and popularity, even when they suck. They generate money for the media, so obviously the media's going to talk about them and cover them the most. Though I do understand how this would make a lot of non-leaf fans happy.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
The Leafs are easily the most popular team in the country. They are probably probably the most disliked team as well.

The answer I hear most often when I ask ppull why they hate the Leafs is that it's because of the fans.

I then take it further and ask what it is about the fans that makes them hate the Leafs.

This is where they get stuck.

Sometimes they'll answer "well most of their fans are from Toronto" - I'll then say, so what does that have to do with the team?

That stumps them.

The second biggest reason I hear is that it's because of the heavy media coverage of the team. When I point out that isn't the teams fault the person just wants to change the subject.

Frankly I've never received an intelligent response in terms of why they hate the Leafs.

I can understand hating a team cuz of the fans if it made sense.

Look at Hab fans for example, they are completely delusional and demented.

Some Leaf fans are too but not to such an extreme extent.

Every team has fans that are like that but it's usually a small % of them, whereas with the Scabs it's virtually every single one of them.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
The Habs get a ton of coverage too, but are not nearly as hated as the Leafs are.

Also, the media talks about the Leafs the most because they ARE always relevant, at least in terms of ratings and popularity, even when they suck. They generate money for the media, so obviously the media's going to talk about them and cover them the most. Though I do understand how this would make a lot of non-leaf fans happy.

The Habs get a small fraction of coverage that the Leafs get across the country. They are deeply detested by many.

Your points about the media and how the Leafs make them money is bang on. Other fans resent that.

Frick I'm a Leafs fan and I get sick about how much I hear about them in the little media I pay attention to.

Szymonmf

Sep 13, 2014
Hamilton, ON
Raptors and Blue Jays are marketed as Canada's team as was said
There's also an inferiority complex which is manifested through the view that Torontonians view themselves as the centre of the universe.
Then there's also the point that they are the most covered, wealthiest and possess the largest fan base while being a mediocre team for almost fifty years.

Swarez

Mar 10, 2011
Why would someone from Montreal or Edmonton or Vancouver like the leafs?

Why would someone from sask like the leafs when their are closer teams in their time zone??

This whole tread assuming others should like the leafs is also part of the reason people hate the leafs?? I mean do people on vancouvers thread go around asking - hey how come people in Toronto don't like us?

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I used to be a Leafs fan... Because Ottawa did not have a team.

Leafs are hated by many because Leafs fans go to home games of their cities team. It isn't as dramatic in other Canadian cities as it is in Ottawa... But it is still significant.

The Jays now can get Expos fans. Expos fans really got disgusted and disinterested in baseball after the 94 strike and the Expos losing their team. Now more time has passed. The Jays can sellout preseason games in Olympic Stadium. If the Jays can make the World Series they can truly be Canada's team and win over the residual Expos fans and also not big sports fans that will tune in because the Jays are a Canadian team in the World Series.

The key for the Jays and Raptors is winning. Both have the potential to be among the most popular teams in their leagues... If they can get all 35 million Canadians behind them. Bigger market then LA and New York. Toronto alone is the 4th biggest metro in North America.

Pretty spot on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad