Speculation: [POOL'S CLOSED] Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
spur has learned from one of the best (suter) and now hes one of the best! i see no reason to trade him unless he wants out.
I'm all for keeping him if we can (at least in part because I don't think we'll be happy with the return), but it's a matter of being able to afford him. If he wants $7m+ for 6 years and an NMC/aggressive NTC, are we down with that? Because he can probably get it from someone next summer.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm all for keeping him if we can (at least in part because I don't think we'll be happy with the return), but it's a matter of being able to afford him. If he wants $7m+ for 6 years and an NMC/aggressive NTC, are we down with that? Because he can probably get it from someone next summer.
Yeah, I'd be good with 6/42M, in light of the way salaries are going.

I would guess that Fletcher might offer a 2nd (because that's what he does) and someone like Konecny or Patrick. I know Patrick has been disappointing...don't really know what to think, there.

In this year's draft, I don't see him moving the 1st, even for Spurgeon. Spurgeon is worth it, IMO, but it depends on how soon the Flyers see themselves as being competitive. They had a bad year last year, but have reasons to be optimistic.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yeah, I'd be good with 6/42M, in light of the way salaries are going.

I would guess that Fletcher might offer a 2nd (because that's what he does) and someone like Konecny or Patrick. I know Patrick has been disappointing...don't really know what to think, there.

In this year's draft, I don't see him moving the 1st, even for Spurgeon. Spurgeon is worth it, IMO, but it depends on how soon the Flyers see themselves as being competitive. They had a bad year last year, but have reasons to be optimistic.
Adding high-end prospects is always a priority, but they've got guys like Frost, Farabee and Ratcliffe as forward prospects and a young blueline so it's not necessarily the priority. At the other end they've had Giroux sort of going to waste for the last few seasons and an impatient ownership group. My guess is that they'll be more interested in giving up #11 than guys like Patrick or Konecny, or prospects like Frost or Farabee.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Spurgeon would be perfect to mentor their young, talented, mostly LHD. He and Provorov would be a nice 1st pairing.

Still don't want to see him traded. At the end of the day, a #11 is just a chance at an excellent player, not an excellent player, and with last year's trades we are no longer up against the cap, so trading cap is not that important.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Spurgeon would be perfect to mentor their young, talented, mostly LHD. He and Provorov would be a nice 1st pairing.

Still don't want to see him traded. At the end of the day, a #11 is just a chance at an excellent player, not an excellent player, and with last year's trades we are no longer up against the cap, so trading cap is not that important.
I would say it’s good asset management though if you trade Spurgeon for a haul and are able to replace him through a smart free agent signing. A few people were talking about Belpedio earlier; how does he get a chance when there is no room on the roster? More importantly, if he’s that close why wasn’t he up here a lot more this past year with Dumba out? At least see what he’s got for 15 games.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I would say it’s good asset management though if you trade Spurgeon for a haul and are able to replace him through a smart free agent signing. A few people were talking about Belpedio earlier; how does he get a chance when there is no room on the roster? More importantly, if he’s that close why wasn’t he up here a lot more this past year with Dumba out? At least see what he’s got for 15 games.
If they keep Spurgeon it wouldn't surprise me if they shop Pateryn this summer and, if they find a taker, let Menell and Belpedio compete for the 3RD spot in camp.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Or move Pateryn. You don't move Spurgeon in the hope that an unproven Belpedio fills his spot.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
If they keep Spurgeon it wouldn't surprise me if they shop Pateryn this summer and, if they find a taker, let Menell and Belpedio compete for the 3RD spot in camp.
Or move Pateryn. You don't move Spurgeon in the hope that an unproven Belpedio fills his spot.
Spurgeon -> #11+
Pateryn -> 3rd round pick

Karlsson ~ 6 years $9.5m AAV

Suter-Dumba
Brodin-Karlsson
Seeler-Menell/Belpedio

(Think Brodin would fit better with Karlsson than Suter would, Suter-Dumba was really good to start this year and the end of the year before)

I can dream, right? :sarcasm:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
spur has learned from one of the best (suter) and now hes one of the best! i see no reason to trade him unless he wants out.

This is a guy who’s scored 20+ from the back end multiple times, as well as a few other 17+ seasons. Surely you’re not saying Spurgeon is better than Karlsson offensively? Karlsson only played 53 games this season, had 45 points. His shooting percentage was only 1.6% this year. Had it been his career average he’d have scored 11 in just 53 games.

I get not wanting to pay Karlsson the type of money he’ll get, but you don’t need to cherry pick stats to fit a false narrative to do it. Karlsson is much better offensively than Spurgeon.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
I don't thin fenton will shop or trade Pateryn.
He was Fentons big FA signing last summer

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If I recall, he was on the block for most of the season and we couldn't find any takers
There were rumors, but it doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Shopping him before Dumba went down would've been pulling the cord very early and there wasn't really cause to do so. Shopping him after Dumba went down would've been even stranger. I didn't like him on the second pairing, but it's not like we were flush with better options.

Still, I think he demonstrated that he's a relatively expensive 3rd pairing guy that we've probably got internal replacements for. If Fenton can find a taker this summer I'll bet he's gone.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Minnestoa - Philadelphia
Greenway <--> Myers + 3rd

Minnesota - Arizona
Zucker + Eriksson Ek <--> Dvorak + 2nd/3rd

Minnesota - Toronto
Pateryn + 3rd (PHI) <--> Brown

Minnesota - Toronto
2nd + 5th <--> Kapanen (or offersheet @$4.2m for compensatio of 2nd round pick)

Stalock to whoever for 7th round pick

Fiala-Staal-Kapanen
Parise-Koivu-Kunin
Donato-Dvorak-Brown
Foligno-Rask-Brown
Sturm

Suter-Dumba
Brodin-Spurgeon
Seeler-Myers

Dubnyk
Kahkonen/other

Thoughts?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Let's say the Flyers really like what they have in Morgan Frost.

Staal + Spurgeon for Patrick + what?

Myers would be nice but getting two ELC players back for a 29 and 35 year old seems unlikely. It'd probably be more like Robert Hagg, which is less that exciting.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Let's say the Flyers really like what they have in Morgan Frost.

Staal + Spurgeon for Patrick + what?

Myers would be nice but getting two ELC players back for a 29 and 35 year old seems unlikely. It'd probably be more like Robert Hagg, which is less that exciting.
1. Staal isn't going to be traded.
2. Even if he was, why would he be included in this deal?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Trading Greenway seems wrong, to me. We've traded away size and strength with Nino and Coyle. Doubling down on that by trading Greenway, also, especially for a Dman?
I sure as hell am not ready to build this team around Fiala and Donato till I've seen at least another season from them.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
1. Staal isn't going to be traded.
2. Even if he was, why would he be included in this deal?
1.) If including him in a deal gets us a younger top-6 center back I don't see why not. I guess it's possible that Fenton gave some sort of assurances that he wouldn't trade him, but seeing as how there's no trade protection on his contract I doubt it.

2.) Presumably because Philadelphia wants a veteran 2C behind Couturier. This makes the assumption that they see Frost as the long-term answer there and think Patrick is expendable.

Mostly I've been trying to figure out what avenues we have to add some top-6 centers younger than 30, even if they're just potential top-6 centers. This draft seems like one avenue; free agency's another, but not a very likely one. That brings us to trades, where our best chip seems to be a 29 year old RD with one year on his contract. The Flyers are reportedly looking to add both top-4 RD and a 2C, they've got enough prospect depth (along with #11 this year) to consider dealing younger players for older ones, and they're obviously poised to make things happen this summer.

I admit that I'm forcing the dots to connect when they probably don't, though.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I can see Fenton going full in on Malkin.

Spurgeon
Zucker
JEE

Is better than 95 percent of the league can offer for a tier 1, but 33 year old, often injured center.

Probably will not be the top offer, and losing Spurgeon may do more damage than help, but I think Fenton will have the conversation and then look to flip Brodin and some other Fletcher guy for a bottom-4 RHD.

Last edited:

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I can see Fenton going full in on Malkin.

Spurgeon
Zucker
JEE

Is better than 95 percent of the league can offer for an elite, but 33 year old, often injured center.

Probably will not be the top offer, and losing Spurgeon may do more damage than help, but I think Fenton will have the conversation and then look to flip Brodin and some other Fletcher guy for a bottom-4 RHD.
I really hope he doesn’t go after Malkin

Reactions: nstarjim
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad