Proposal: Poll: Will Smith or trade 5th overall for Clayton Keller?

Will Smith or trade 5th overall for Clayton Keller?

• Will Smith

Votes: 178 66.4%
  • Clayton Keller

Votes: 90 33.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
For the scenario where Will Smith is available at 5 and Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, and Michkov go 1 through 4...

Will Smith or trade 5th overall for Clayton Keller?

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam Michaels

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Keller will turn 25 this summer, he fits in well the roster with his age but what's going the other way as well to make space with his contract. That's why a Smith makes sense, we could definitely use those 3 years of ELC

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Keller will turn 25 this summer, he fits in well the roster with his age but what's going the other way as well to make space with his contract. That's why a Smith makes sense, we could definitely use those 3 years of ELC
Yeah, would make the deal interesting if Arizona would take Armia, Hoffman, or imagine Gallagher.

• Love
Reactions: rahad

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Keller is 5'10, the same height as Bedard and Michkov.

Yes but he also costs 7 million dollars a year, to start.

When will a player like him start to decline, at 30?

When will we contend? in 4-5 years?

IMO it doesn't make sense to accelerate the rebuild like this.

The cap matters, a lot.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'll gamble with Smith. I just feel we have too many pieces missing yet to compete and would like to add more prospects to our pool of players.
Makes sense. What if we also add Dubois? Is that enough to compete?

I also would like to add a real elite game breaker during this rebuild, which is why I'm willing to five up a lot to move up to 3 to get Michkov.

Reactions: the

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016

I also would like to add a real elite game breaker during this rebuild, which is why I'm willing to five up a lot to move up to 3 to get Michkov.

Yes, Dubois is a big strong, tall, Center de chez nous.

He automatically makes us a contender.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Yeah, would make the deal interesting if Arizona would take Armia, Hoffman, or imagine Gallagher.
Gallagher or Armia would be my choice to send the other way

Hoffman has 1 year left, we can move him at the TD next season and if we can't like Drouin, he can simply walk next summer..

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

On offence yes, that could be a solid top 6:

Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Caufield
Dubois - Dach - Smith

but where still missing a #1 Dmen and #1 goalie

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Keller is a very good player with 5-6 years left on his friendly deal. It is enticing, I guess it just depends what all is going the other way because it would be substantial.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Yes but he also costs 7 million dollars a year, to start.

When will a player like him start to decline, at 30?

When will we contend? in 4-5 years?

IMO it doesn't make sense to accelerate the rebuild like this.

The cap matters, a lot.
He just put up 86 pts with the Coyotes, he would be making closer to 9-10 in a different market

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
On offence yes, that could be a solid top 6:

Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Caufield
Dubois - Dach - Smith

but where still missing a #1 Dmen and #1 goalie
Well it would be keller instead of Smith...

Number 1 dman and #1 goalie would he next on the to do list.

Is signing Orlov enough when you already have Guhle, Mailloux, Matheson, and Mailloux in the system. But in goal Adin Hill about to win a cup after Darcy Kemper did last year

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'll gamble with Smith. I just feel we have too many pieces missing yet to compete and would like to add more prospects to our pool of players.

I don't disagree. And Smith is definitely someone I'd go with. I'd even go with a Leonard and Reinbacher. But at some point, you have to start building the NHL team while your prospects develop. Even if you won't make the playoffs next year, you still need to progress.

But for the purpose of this thread, Keller is one of the few players I'd move the 5th pick for. He just had a career year and was over a PPG player (86 pts in 82 GP). Even last year, he was on pace for over 80 pts (had 63 pts in 67 GP). And he wouldn't be a rental. You still have him until 2027-28. And he makes less than both Suzuki and Caufield.

I doubt Yotes move him. But IF he was ever made available. I think I'd give the 5th pick for him. I could fantasize about a Caufield-Suzuki duo on one line and a Dach-Keller duo on the other.

Reactions: Rapala and PhysicX

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Well it would be keller instead of Smith...

Number 1 dman and #1 goalie would he next on the to do list.

Is signing Orlov enough when you already have Guhle, Mailloux, Matheson, and Mailloux in the system. But in goal Adin Hill about to win a cup after Darcy Kemper did last year
We won't money to sign them all, I prefer keeping Smith and put money elsewhere.

They are no special recipe to build a winning team (except that you need at least a #1C and #1D). We won't have a franchise player to build around, so if we want to win, we will need a super complete team with no major hole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad