Proposal: Poll: Should Rutherford get fired?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm absolutely shocked you made this thread.

This is a tough question. JR has not done very poorly as the Pens GM. He has made his mistakes and has made a roster that is a pretty poor complement to each other. However, he's not the one that isn't producing. It's not on him that every single player is producing less than they should. It's not JR's fault that Perron can't catch or make a pass right now. It's not JR's fault that Hornqvist can't score right now. It's not JR's fault that Letang makes stupid decisions with the puck. It's not JR's fault that the Pens couldn't find a good coach due to how Bylsma was dicked around after Shero being fired. Firing JR would just be another example of a scapegoat taking the fall for a team-wide issue.

I'd give JR a C overall as the Pens GM, and that's mainly because of how much they've struggled this year. He's nowhere close to deserving being fired, there are a good 15 people that deserve to lose their jobs before he does.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
Not a chance in hell.

He brought in Kessel. He fired Johnston and brought in Sullivan.

Instead of, you know, waiting to lose the playoffs in one series and THEN doing it.

*OH, and he turned the worst player in the league into a serviceable defenseman, by acquiring Daley. That's some Shero magic for you.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
If they miss the playoffs or if they sell what's left of the farm to squeak in just to get bounced in round one.

I agree. If he trades Letang (or anyone better) and doesn't get a solid return, I'd advocate for a firing.

But if the replacement is Guerin, I take it back.

So far, he's done yeoman's work.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not a chance in hell.

He brought in Kessel. He fired Johnston and brought in Sullivan.

Instead of, you know, waiting to lose the playoffs in one series and THEN doing it.

You're also ignoring the fact that he's the one that hired Johnston. JR should not get a plus for firing Johnston after he hired him.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
You're also ignoring the fact that he's the one that hired Johnston. JR should not get a plus for firing Johnston after he hired him.

But I'm NOT ignoring the fact that literally EVERY other coach was either taken at the time, or decided that they didn't want to be held to the Pittsburgh Morehouse bureaucracy.

There's a reason Desjardins turned us down.

The hiring happened so soon after GMJR came on, I don't hold ANY of it against him. Same way I don't hold Despres against him.

Mischa

Feb 11, 2012
As long as botterills still their next guy I don't see a reason to actually fire JR when they could just reduce his responsibilities and let him go at the end of his contract (which iirc is up at the end of the year)

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
They won't fire him. They just won't bring him back for next season after his contract expires.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
But I'm NOT ignoring the fact that literally EVERY other coach was either taken at the time, or decided that they didn't want to be held to the Pittsburgh Morehouse bureaucracy.

There's a reason Desjardins turned us down.

The hiring happened so soon after GMJR came on, I don't hold ANY of it against him. Same way I don't hold Despres against him.

But again, JR could have looked elsewhere for other coaches. I'm not going to fault JR for hiring MJ, but at the same time, it's ludicrous to give him a plus for firing MJ.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
If Rutherford's contract is up at the end of this season, then they should just start easing Butterbean into the GM position. Morehouse should definitely be fired ... or maybe join Burkle in his new sports management business ... or retire due to his health or something. But, until Morehouse is gone, it won't matter who sits in the GM's chair.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
He deserves a lot of criticism for this blue line he's put together. He had Despres and threw him away, and he had to know this defense as constructed would be bad. He gambled that the forwards would make up for it, and his gamble failed.

That's on him.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
If Rutherford's contract is up at the end of this season, then they should just start easing Butterbean into the GM position. Morehouse should definitely be fired ... or maybe join Burkle in his new sports management business ... or retire due to his health or something. But, until Morehouse is gone, it won't matter who sits in the GM's chair.

Many have implied that Morehouse has influence on hockey decisions, trades, contracts, ufa signings etc. Can anyone point directly to such an instance.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Many have implied that Morehouse has influence on hockey decisions, trades, contracts, ufa signings etc. Can anyone point directly to such an instance.

Dude was visibly angry and arguing with Rutherford at the draft table just prior to the Hornqvist trade.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
He traded Despres+Neal for a 3rd pair defenseman and a player with a skillset of a 4th liner. Great job. Had some good moments but some WTF moments too. In general, there is no concept there. And those Neal & Despres trades together with the lack of concept should mean that this is his last year in the game of hockey.

Jeff15

Aug 4, 2015
I agree Moorehouse should be fired!!!! Along with Rutherford!! He has built a SOFT boring team that won't make playoffs! I am afraid of his next trade...He has not value in any of his trades and don't tell me Kessel who is talented but lazy,moody player.He needs to get size and toughness up front and on blueline.I am tired of seeing Malkin have to fight all our battles because we don't have anyone else!

Mrs Crosby's Dryer

Can we please fire idiot Sullivan now?
Dec 11, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
GMJR neutered and emasculated this franchise much like he did the one in Carolina when he was at the helm there. The amount of abuse our multi million dollar franchise players and superstars take on a nightly basis is disgusting. It shows in their play - no confidence and no heart. They all know that it's open field running with no retribution when you play the Pens. It's not that our team is lazy, it's that they just don't care. It's sad and I don't blame them for it.

The thing I find most interesting is that the kinder-gentler Penguins hockey's futures message board regulars got their wish and we're the softest team in the league, but even some of them seem to be turning on him. That speaks volumes as far as I'm concerned.

The people that hired him have to go.

This too. The amount is people labeled as decision makers who have little or no business getting involved in on ice personnel choices is mind blowing. It's criminal what its done during the prime of Crosby & Malkin's careers. What a waste.

I can't wait until the team sells and (God willing) the new ownership cleans house.

fiveAMpractice

Oct 19, 2014
Dude was visibly angry and arguing with Rutherford at the draft table just prior to the Hornqvist trade.

Are you implying that he was telling Rutherford to make the Neal trade or not to make it ? Interesting .
Neal's no trade clause was to kick in at 12 am that night.
A little panic trading ???
When did Rutherford start the BS about Neal being problem in dressing room ? Hour later ? When he realized what he just traded away after he started taking calls from Malkins agent ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad