Elks: Poll: New name for "Edmonton Eskimo Football Club"

What should the new name of the Eskimos be changed too?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
You know what's wrong with society today is there are too many people who use the race card as a get out of jail card in life .......BEING a
JEW/BLACK I take offense to your comment as the name is far from offensive and you pointing this out makes it racist. I can not understand people in this country, for being A PERSON OF COLOR I have it pretty damn good, a roof over my head, food on the table, friends of all colors, seems pretty good to me

You aren't indigenous. Your background is therefore irrelevant to this discussion.

Facts:

1. The Edmonton football team is not made up of indigenous players

2. The Edmonton football team is not representing a city that is administered or owned by indigenous people

3. In Canada, the term Eskimo has been replaced by the more correct term, Inuit.

At best, it's cultural appropriation that represents centuries of colonial oppression. At worst, it's a deliberate racial slur that ALSO is cultural appropriation and represents centuries of colonial oppression.

It's the name of a football team that shouldn't be named after a people who have clear issues with Canada. Why are you even arguing? It doesn't affect you in the slightest. For the team, it's good business - new merch.

Reactions: Gunnersaurus Rex

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
You aren't indigenous. Your background is therefore irrelevant to this discussion.

Facts:

2. The Edmonton football team is not representing a city that is administered or owned by indigenous people

3. In Canada, the term Eskimo has been replaced by the more correct term, Inuit.

At best, it's cultural appropriation that represents centuries of colonial oppression. At worst, it's a deliberate racial slur that ALSO is cultural appropriation and represents centuries of colonial oppression.

It's the name of a football team that shouldn't be named after a people who have clear issues with Canada. Why are you even arguing? It doesn't affect you in the slightest. For the team, it's good business - new merch.
are you inuit?

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010

Facts:

NO, NO colour is colour so a person background should not matter. FACT people of colour play for our team and the fact the Indigenous people were asked and they supported the name. The problem comes from the ME TOO movement by a bunch of pU@#$ who if you look at them they go running and crying in mommy and daddy basement. And let's say it for what it is. The CFL is a 3 class league at best

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
NO, NO colour is colour so a person background should not matter. FACT people of colour play for our team and the fact the Indigenous people were asked and they supported the name. The problem comes from the ME TOO movement by a bunch of pU@#$ who if you look at them they go running and crying in mommy and daddy basement. And let's say it for what it is. The CFL is a 3 class league at best
So why do you care?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
What an offensive post.

Yes, definitely the truth.

You notice with some of these so called "progressives" everything is about "understanding other people's feelings about subjects and being sensitive to their viewpoints " but when you disagree with them on any subject you get this type of reaction and disrespectful comment. The exact opposite of what they preach. But I guess Eskimo fans are the insensitive ones.

This is why the woke philosophy is rejected by so many people. Its not "do as I do", it's "do as I say."

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Facts:

Are you Indigenous? More to the point, are you Inuit?

Reactions: Darkwinter

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
What pisses me off about the name change is the current sociopolitical climate that forced the change. It wasn’t something the organization decided was for the best or because overwhelmingly Inuit people have grown concerned about the name. In fact, many apparently took great pride in the name - I believe the number was 80% for and 20% against with many thinking they had bigger issues than a sports team name. Similar numbers have been found about other teams like the Redskins.

They also found CFL fans liked the name, non-CFL fans didn’t. So bow down to please those with no interest in buying your product - pretty asinine if you ask me.

Heard this woman’s speech on The Larry Elder show and the last part of it really conveys how I feel about this cancel culture/woke culture preying about on our institutions.

This was a town council meeting about a monument rock that is apparently racist.

I’d appreciate all to hear her speak if you haven’t already.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Yes, definitely the truth.

You notice with some of these so called "progressives" everything is about "understanding other people's feelings about subjects and being sensitive to their viewpoints " but when you disagree with them on any subject you get this type of reaction and disrespectful comment. The exact opposite of what they preach. But I guess Eskimo fans are the insensitive ones.

This is why the woke philosophy is rejected by so many people. Its not "do as I do", it's "do as I say."
awesome post

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
What pisses me off about the name change is the current sociopolitical climate that forced the change. It wasn’t something the organization decided was for the best or because overwhelmingly Inuit people have grown concerned about the name. In fact, many apparently took great pride in the name - I believe the number was 80% for and 20% against with many thinking they had bigger issues than a sports team name. Similar numbers have been found about other teams like the Redskins.

They also found CFL fans liked the name, non-CFL fans didn’t. So bow down to please those with no interest in buying your product - pretty asinine if you ask me.

Heard this woman’s speech on The Larry Elder show and the last part of it really conveys how I feel about this cancel culture/woke culture preying about on our institutions.

This was a town council meeting about a monument rock that is apparently racist.

right on

Reactions: CanmoreMike

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

Thanks for the post-- what an inspiration this lady is. I love how she talks about hard work, perseverance and responsibility and how she calls out these people who claim they represent the force of good when in fact they are just a bunch of dilettantes perched on Mt. Righteous.

If I was American and this lady was running for President in November I would vote for her in a heartbeat. She makes both of the Presidential "finalists" look sick and weak in comparison.

I also like how she recognizes that when you give in on one thing then as she says "its just another and then another and then another thing" that the mob will demand without making any real changes. That's the real issue about the Eskimo name change.

My message to these troll(s) who show up here calling the Eskimo organization racist, why don't you research the history of the club before you make these accusations or better yet, with the Christmas season approaching, take a food hamper or some clothing down to the poorer areas of Toronto and do some real good for real people and become a real hero for social responsibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkwinter

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I also like how she recognizes that when you give in on one thing then as she says "its just another and then another and then another thing" that the mob will demand without making any real changes. That's the real issue about the Eskimo name change.

This point exactly explains what I was getting at. I didn’t want to wax on too long in my post and am glad you both watched the video and heard that important message.

It doesn’t end here with the name change. There will be something else and nothing will ever be enough. They will scream and riot over something new next week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad