*POLL* Eliminate me!Im a baaad team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifesfor*

Yeaaah thats right.Me, the team you think that poison the NHL, vote for me!

Some team got wild carded:

Original 6:Boston,Chicago,Detroit,Rangers,Montreal,Toronto
US team in good health: Philadelphia,Tampa, Colorado, LosAngeles,Dallas
Canadian team we want to keep:Edmonton,Calgary,Vancouver,Ottawa,

The rest is....IN THE POLL! So go vote now!!!

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Too late for Tampa Bay. We already overwhelmingly voted to contract them last year before they won the cup, because as we all knew, they had no chance of winning the cup.

No one is going to go about eliminating anybody. If they cant make money, they sell the team like owners in the NFL do, and try somewhere else, or fold up and wait to try again another day like Colorado. Owners may lose their money like any normal businessman investing in a restaurant and failing would. Or they adapt and find a way to make money and plan long term.

But no one is kicking anyone out. Who could afford it?

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Right on schedule. It's been what, 2-3 weeks since the last "lets contract a team that doesn't fit in with my ideal hockey world" thread?

None should be contracted. If the owners are losing so much money now, none of them are going to be willing to absorb the cost of buying and folding a team.

HughJass*

Like I said before, I don't know why threads like this is tolerated. I'll do say this: the last thread like this was very controlled and decent until one pubescent screwed it up for everyone.

Still, I will never understand why people in the hockey world (fans & players alike) think that there are no fans in the cities they want to contract. That's just to show you people don't care about fans, they just care about themselves. Contracting team will not help the league, only hurt it.

They would expand again eventually anyway. Short term contraction won't solve anything, because fixing the leagues problems can't be solved overnight. And, to top that all off, contraction will give the league a black eye. People in the contracted cities will talk badly about the league to everyone they meet, and people who don't even know what "N-H-L" stand for would not bother finding out what it stands for.

Safir*

It's was rumored that the following teams had suffered losses:

- Tampa Bay: has won the Cup and maybe be able to overcome the financial issues.

- Chicago: remove Wirtz and the overall ownership and the club will rebound.

- Buffalo: those losses may result from the near bankruptcy of last season

- Pittsburgh: They need a new arena fast. The future looks very bright for the team.

- Nashville: Expansion in a new market. They play a typical Western style of hockey and relay heavily on the draft. Have done a good job in the department, since many youngster made there way to the NHL.

- Carolina: relocated to Carolina from Hartford.

X0ssbar

spank303 said:
Right on schedule. It's been what, 2-3 weeks since the last "lets contract a team that doesn't fit in with my ideal hockey world" thread?

None should be contracted. If the owners are losing so much money now, none of them are going to be willing to absorb the cost of buying and folding a team.

Right on.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
Why should any team get "wild carded" ?

I'd be surprised if 3 of the teams you listed as US teams in good health were profitable over the last two seasons.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
ifesfor said:

Minnesota? They're probably in better shape than everyone you list here.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I agree , silly topic , but to play just the same .

I think contraction is out of the question .However , I bet theres an NHL team in Winnipeg if and when a cap / cost certainty is in place .

All depends on teams with Arena issues (Pens )or possibly weak market (Anaheim is my only uneducated guess here)who might bite if it makes sense .

if it was ok with Bettman as commish to move the Nords and Jets during the 90's; then he better not get in the way if a current U.S based team ever wants to move to Winnipeg or Quebec City for that matter if their fortunes would improve .

while I'm at it , why the heck isnt there a second NHL team in the GTA ?

surely if the isles,rangers,devils can play within 50 miles of eachother the city of Toronto could support a second team ? Imagine that ? To me it would be similar to the rangers - isles situation . Corporate suits go see the Leafs while the new expansion team gets the avg. Joe into the mend .

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
s

For the last time, Winnipeg is too small for the NHL , and no CBA will help them.

Ottawa, the 4th smallest market in the league, is approx. 1.2 in the metro area. That is good enough for a pro team, IMO, but winnipeg is only 55% of the size of Ottawa... they are a tad too small. I think any market must be at or over a million (Edmonton and Calgary should be there soon, IMO) to support a pro team.

se7en*

Edmonton & Calgary both have metro pops. of over 1,000,000 and have been supporting their teams since the early 80s when they had 6-700,000. Having over a 1,000,000 pop. to have a pro team in your city isnt necessary.

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Last I saw, Edmonton was at 932,000 and Calgary at 952000 as of 2001 although I concede they are probably just at 1,000 nowadays, assuming an approximate 20,000 person increase per year, which seems to be the norm in Ottawa...

se7en*

Calgarys had a CMA of over 1,000,000 since 2001 I think. Edmonton just got over a million recently. :)

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hootchie Cootchie said:
Edmonton & Calgary both have metro pops. of over 1,000,000 and have been supporting their teams since the early 80s when they had 6-700,000. Having over a 1,000,000 pop. to have a pro team in your city isnt necessary.

If you want to compete it is.

It's not just 18,000 people to fill the building you need. It's business will to spend big $$$ on luxury suites, and local TV and radio revenue etc. etc. etc.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
go kim johnsson said:
Minnesota? They're probably in better shape than everyone you list here.

By a long shot... they are the most profitable team in the NHL!

mzon

Feb 13, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
ifesfor said:
Yeaaah thats right.Me, the team you think that poison the NHL, vote for me!

Some team got wild carded:

Original 6:Boston,Chicago,Detroit,Rangers,Montreal,Toronto
Canadian team we want to keep:Edmonton,Calgary,Vancouver,Ottawa,

The rest is....IN THE POLL! So go vote now!!!
:shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad