Poll 1: If we land in the 4th draft order, who do we take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Any idea why Chychrun has fallen off his development curve so much? He was comparable to Pietrangelo, Del Zotto, and Trevor Daley at the same age last year, but this year, he's nowhere close to that calibre. Like he might not make it to the NHL bad.

I think you have to take Tkachuk. Obviously, he's benefited tremendously from playing with Marner, so you have to be wary of the Patrick Kane/Sam Gagner effect (see: 2006-07 London Knights), but he was Burmistrov/Kuznetsov/Stamkos good at last year's WJC, and performed about as well as Johnny Hockey in the previous year in the USHL -- and it did it starting the season younger.

If you're willing to take the risk, I'd trade down a bunch and grab someone like Carl Grundstrom. I don't see a lot of homerun picks #4 through the end of the 1st round.

OldMilIce

Apr 30, 2015
Niagara, ON
I voted to take Nylander. I dont think there is a chance at drafting a bust here, and I don't think there is a huge talent gap between drafting 4 and drafting 7 or 8. Chychrun would be a nice piece on the back end for sure, but from the couple of games Ive seen him play this year I havent been overly impressed.

Nylander on the other hand has impressed me in the couple times Ive seen him, especially in the short glimpse we got in the world juniors of William and Alex playing with Timashov on the other wing. I really wish William would have lasted longer in the tourney so we could get a longer view.

I think he would like to be on the same team as his brother, and a little incentive for a player is always a good thing. Besides, he already looks good in blue and white.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Any idea why Chychrun has fallen off his development curve so much? He was comparable to Pietrangelo, Del Zotto, and Trevor Daley at the same age last year, but this year, he's nowhere close to that calibre. Like he might not make it to the NHL bad.

I think you have to take Tkachuk. Obviously, he's benefited tremendously from playing with Marner, so you have to be wary of the Patrick Kane/Sam Gagner effect (see: 2006-07 London Knights), but he was Burmistrov/Kuznetsov/Stamkos good at last year's WJC, and performed about as well as Johnny Hockey in the previous year in the USHL -- and it did it starting the season younger.

If you're willing to take the risk, I'd trade down a bunch and grab someone like Carl Grundstrom. I don't see a lot of homerun picks #4 through the end of the 1st round.

Chychrun injured his shoulder and hadn't fully recovered.

Shades of Drake Berehowsky here. I'd stay away unless his medical was 100%

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton

How many picks down is a "bunch" to you. I dont want to trade too far down. It was frustrating watching us trade right out the 1st round last year.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Tkachuk plays on a line with Marner and Dvorak.

Points after subtracting secondary assists:

Marner 74
Dvorak 71
Tkachuk 46

Points for Dubois after subtracting secondary assists: 63

Q leaders in primary points and their ages.
Conor Garland 19.515 85
Francis Perron 19.411 68
Alexis D'Aoust 19.452 68
Anthony Richard 18.737 65
Michael Carcone 19.326 64
Pierre-Luc Dubois 17.227 63

Dubois is two years younger on average than every player ahead of him in the Q. Dubois has a better overall skillset than Tkachuk.

edit:

ES Primary Points:
Tkachuk 24
Dubois: 40

you convinced me.

i'd reorder

1. matthews
2. laine
3. pul

4. chychrun
5. dubois
6. nylander
7. serg
8. tkachuk

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Chychrun injured his shoulder and hadn't fully recovered.

Shades of Drake Berehowsky here. I'd stay away unless his medical was 100%

i'd probably take serg if chychrun isn't 100% but we did take rielly with his bum knee.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

With regards to Chychrun - his offensive skill set is very questionable. It's hard to deny that he's been falling steadily in most major draft rankings.

I'd still likely take him top 10, but not until picks 8-10.

Scratch

Jan 3, 2016
I pick Tkatchuk.
I prefer Sergachev to Chychrun, so selecting Chyc is not an optoin for me at 4th, I still go with the forward. I'd try to trade the Pitsburgh picks 1st and 2nd, maybe add a 4th if needed to trade up between 7-10 for Sergachev or McLeod. I think both are being slightly under rated.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
He'd likely be available 25-30, so somewhere around 25.

What would be the point of this?
The level of prospect drops significantly and we only get more 2nds/3rds that we already have a zillion of. To me this is prolly the strangest trade down option I've ever heard. I mean trading down from 4 to say 10 is one thing but trading out of the top 5 all the way back 20 or so sports is nuts.

Defense

Oct 27, 2009
Trade the 4th and Pittsburgh 1st round pick to move up for 2nd overall and draft Laine

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Trade the 4th and Pittsburgh 1st round pick to move up for 2nd overall and draft Laine

If we don't win the lottery, think I'd rather trade down, get a real solid player and draft a no. 1 D.

Sergachev:
ISS Hockey - Twitter (Nov. 16th): "Top-pairing defenceman. Workhorse that can be used in all situations, that has confidence."

Give Babcock a solid 6 D, consistent goaltending and 2 way workers up front with a skill thrown in (Nylander,Marner) and were a good team.
If we can't be scored on very much, Babcock will make us dangerous.

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
If Edmonton wins the lottery again (uuuuuugh!), offer them Gardner and Our first from Pitts. I like Gards and his contract but The Oilers would have a long hard think on this if pitts is in the 15-20 range.
Draft Mathews and we still have our own at 4-5 to take Chychrun.

Crazy?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If Edmonton wins the lottery again (uuuuuugh!), offer them Gardner and Our first from Pitts. I like Gards and his contract but The Oilers would have a long hard think on this if pitts is in the 15-20 range.

Crazy?

I wouldn't trade Matthews for Gardiner and a mid 1st.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta

Crazy?
Yeah, fairly crazy. If we had the first there's no way we'd move it for a Gardiner level D and a late first.

Though I don't think it's crazy to think that the first overall could be moved if the Oilers get it. If they can turn that pick into a top pairing D then they probably do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad