GDT: POL vs. LAT May 11, 2024

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
This is going to be a very interesting lithmus test for both teams. Can Poland hold their own against a 2nd tier Elite division side? Can Latvia roll over them with ease and make the play-offs again?

Honestly not sure what to expect. Historically Latvia has employed defensive counter attacking tactics even against less skilled opposition, so I wouldn't be surprised if we let them control the puck and just have a bunch of odd man rushes on the Polish net early on in the game.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Honestly not sure what to expect. Historically Latvia has employed defensive counter attacking tactics even against less skilled opposition, so I wouldn't be surprised if we let them control the puck and just have a bunch of odd man rushes on the Polish net early on in the game.
While I agree Latvia isn't going to try some kind of adventurous high forecheck stuff, this scenario would also have to involve them not trying or not managing to hold their own blue line which, considering the personnel Poland has, I can't see happening.

I would be surprised if Poland finishes the first period with more than 5 shots on goal.

Most Polish friendlies have been fairly close so I suppose they come ready to defend and will keep the score respectable.

Ansons is listed as a third-line center. Okay.

Reactions: Summer Rose

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Poland with 3 shots already. Safe to say I am quite surprised.

Locmelis is disqualified for 2 games at IIHF so that explains it. Likely no major difference in ice time between 3rd and 4th lines
I don't remember him ever playing center at any level. So this is interesting time to start.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Elvis in his typical national team form. Or typical form period, not even sure anymore.

Nevermind, the right-handed ECHL great did him a favor here.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well, the mighty Poland was stopped at 5 SOG (and actually to 2 SOG after the first 5 minutes of the period) but boy do the Latvians need to be sharper.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
A couple of takeaways from the 1st period.

Komuls is not NT material.

Cukste is likely not going to be playing in SHL next season, I wouldn't extend his contract if I were the Brynäs GM.

Overall the game is going about as expected minus the own goal and minus the odd man rushes.

We were trying to beat them on 2nd gear. We need to use our size, speed and physicality much more. This has to change in 15 minutes.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I figured it could be a sluggish start by us, but this was just an incoherent mess. Not capeable of stringing multiple good plays together.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I figured it could be a sluggish start by us, but this was just an incoherent mess. Not capeable of stringing multiple good plays together.
Yup, we'll score eventually but this was a really bad period. Can't afford playing like that against Germany or Slovakia.
Happy for Poland and their first goal in a while! And they scored on Merzilkins! Not bad.
I'm happy for them as well, but it was Komuls who scored on his own goalie, but the Poles will probably get another one.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I mean if I didn't otherwise know and was asked who the NHL-goalie is and who the ECHL dropout was, I'd probably get it wrong based on that first 20
If I didn't otherwise know and was asked who the NHL-goalie is and who the ECHL dropout was, I'd probably get it wrong based on their international play after 2019.

Fixed it for ya.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Yup, we'll score eventually but this was a really bad period. Can't afford playing like that against Germany or Slovakia.

I'm happy for them as well, but it was Komuls who scored on his own goalie, but the Poles will probably get another one.
LOL.. as I read this.. Latvia scored! 1-1. Good luck this year! Always nice when Latvia does well!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad