Pokemon Thread #25 - A new Tera

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I’m pretty pumped for this, iffy on dynamaxing.

I’m a bit cynical, but I think Pokémon in the Overworld like in Let’s Go will only be in the Wild Area.

The designs look cool though. I can’t wait to see some of those shiny forms and what type of methods are gonna be used.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I saw it was updated on Serebii with this new information. TBH, if it's any attacking move that lowers the speed, it's great, but obviously not as good as regen.

And yeah, I kinda want Corvi to be more offensive. Judging by its description, I think that'll be the case. It wouldn't surprise me if it gets mid 500s BST too. Assuming 550, I'd like a distribution similar to 90/120/90/80/70/100. But I feel like it won't be fast. :(

If we're talking 550 BST, I'm hoping for something like:

80 HP
120 ATK
120 DEF
60 SPA
75 SPD
95 SPE

But yeah, I don't think it'll be fast. I do think it'll be offensive too based on the description.

But hey, Corviknight is the same exact weight as Crobat, so...

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Final stage type guesses and base stat guesses for the final forms of the starters... let's see how wrong I am. :laugh:

I want Scorbunny's final stage to be fire/fairy since there isn't one of those yet. But I bet it'll be fire/ground. Emboar and Incineroar are the only somewhat bulky fire final stages, so I'll go with a fast and frail special attacker here.

HP: 77
ATK: 86
DEF: 70
SPA: 118
SPD: 74
SPE: 105
BST: 530

I think we'll get another grass/fighting final stage for the grass starter Grookey. I'll go with a bulky physical attacker.

HP: 94
ATK: 101
DEF: 95
SPA: 62
SPD: 86
SPE: 92

I think Sobble's final stage will just be water. I can't think of anything else that might fit. I was thinking poison, but are water lizards poisonous? I don't think they are. I'll guess a fragile mixed attacker.

HP: 80
ATK: 109
DEF: 80
SPA: 102
SPE: 85

I just want faster final forms, unlike Gen 7. I think we'll get them. :crossfing

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Final stage type guesses and base stat guesses for the final forms of the starters... let's see how wrong I am. :laugh:

I want Scorbunny's final stage to be fire/fairy since there isn't one of those yet. But I bet it'll be fire/ground. Emboar and Incineroar are the only somewhat bulky fire final stages, so I'll go with a fast and frail special attacker here.

HP: 77
ATK: 86
DEF: 70
SPA: 118
SPE: 105

I think we'll get another grass/fighting final stage for the grass starter Grookey. I'll go with a bulky physical attacker.

HP: 94
ATK: 101
DEF: 95
SPA: 62
SPD: 86
SPE: 92

I think Sobble's final stage will just be water. I can't think of anything else that might fit. I was thinking poison, but are water lizards poisonous? I don't think they are. I'll guess a fragile mixed attacker.

HP: 80
ATK: 109
DEF: 80
SPA: 102
SPE: 85

I just want faster final forms, unlike Gen 7. I think we'll get them. :crossfing
I'm hoping for
Scorbunny
Fire/Electric or Fire/Fairy
75/85/50/110/85/125
As far as its hidden ability goes, I initially wanted something that makes it attack first in its priority bracket on its first turn in battle... But then I realized it would be sent straight to uber for these pseudo-priority volt switch. Speed boost would make sense, but Blaziken already has it. Same with Iron Fist and Infernape. So I really don't know.
Sobble
Water/Ghost (it can disappear!) or Water/Psychic
90/60/100/110/80/90
For its hidden ability, one of its description states that it disappears when it touches water, so I could see a rain version of snow cloak/sand veil. Would suck for Smogon fights though since it would be banned. :(
Grookey
Grass/Rock
95/130/95/55/80/75
And as a hidden ability, I'd like skill link, because rock blast and bullet seed (if rock type).

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm hoping for
Scorbunny
Fire/Electric or Fire/Fairy
75/85/50/110/85/125
As far as its hidden ability goes, I initially wanted something that makes it attack first in its priority bracket on its first turn in battle... But then I realized it would be sent straight to uber for these pseudo-priority volt switch. Speed boost would make sense, but Blaziken already has it. Same with Iron Fist and Infernape. So I really don't know.
Sobble
Water/Ghost (it can disappear!) or Water/Psychic
90/60/100/110/80/90
For its hidden ability, one of its description states that it disappears when it touches water, so I could see a rain version of snow cloak/sand veil. Would suck for Smogon fights though since it would be banned. :(
Grookey
Grass/Rock
95/130/95/55/80/75
And as a hidden ability, I'd like skill link, because rock blast and bullet seed (if rock type).

I just hope the HAs are useful. I didn't even think to speculate about those.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
I just hope the HAs are useful. I didn't even think to speculate about those.
Sometimes I tend to push speculation too far, tbh.

On that topic, I read some stuff today and realized the legendary names were based on cyan and magenta, and their colors are cyan, magenta and yellow mostly. Wonder if the 3rd legendary will be called Zayello or something like that. Sounds weird.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Apparently we aren't going to be able to transfer all our Pokemon from previous Generations, just ones available in the Galar. That really sucks, don't understand why they would do that.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Apparently we aren't going to be able to transfer all our Pokemon from previous Generations, just ones available in the Galar. That really sucks, don't understand why they would do that.

There's gonna be like 400 Pokemon just not available. It's awful.

It'll probably just be gen 1 to appeal to the crowd and all the galar guys.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Yeah, this is quite possibly the worst decision GF has ever made with the franchise. There's been a lot of backlash from fans on social media/Pokemon fan sites over this. One can only hope all that backlash is enough to convince GF to change their minds, even if does mean having to delay the games (though if they still want to get the games out on time, a post-launch update patch would be a fair compromise, IMO).

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Yeah, this is quite possibly the worst decision GF has ever made with the franchise. There's been a lot of backlash from fans on social media/Pokemon fan sites over this. One can only hope all that backlash is enough to convince GF to change their minds, even if does mean having to delay the games (though if they still want to get the games out on time, a post-launch update patch would be a fair compromise, IMO).
Yeah, I'd be okay with them patching in Pokemon slowly, maybe make them available through the raids or whatever and use that as a way to keep people engaged, but I can't get behind excluding them completely. I'm lucky in that most of my favourites are popular (Gengar, Ninetales, Aegislash, Tyranitar, Alakazam, etc) so are most likely available, but what about people who's favourites are not included? It completely kills the whole main concept of the game, which is to catch them all.

I'm very disappointed with this and I hope that they find a way to make it work.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
There's gonna be like 400 Pokemon just not available. It's awful.

It'll probably just be gen 1 to appeal to the crowd and all the galar guys.
Where'd you read that it was ~400?

It would be more than just gen 1 based on what they showed in Treehouse Live, there were plenty of Pokemon shown in the Wild Area and they were from across all generations.

I would definitely hope they patch them in over time at least. You can't cut the damn National Dex after having it for every single generation prior simply because it's time consuming to make overworld models for every mon.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Where'd you read that it was ~400?

It would be more than just gen 1 based on what they showed in Treehouse Live, there were plenty of Pokemon shown in the Wild Area and they were from across all generations.

I would definitely hope they patch them in over time at least. You can't cut the damn National Dex after having it for every single generation prior simply because it's time consuming to make overworld models for every mon.

It was an estimation that I just pulled out of my ass.

And my guess is that it'll mostly be Gen 1 Pokemon and then probably the starters and pseudolegendaries of later generations because there's a lot of marketability there even if people like me are sick of Kanto.

Point being, there's going to be a ton of great Pokemon unavailable and it's going to suck. Gen 7 was a dud and they really need to bounce back from it.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
It was an estimation that I just pulled out of my ass.

And my guess is that it'll mostly be Gen 1 Pokemon and then probably the starters and pseudolegendaries of later generations because there's a lot of marketability there even if people like me are sick of Kanto.

Point being, there's going to be a ton of great Pokemon unavailable and it's going to suck. Gen 7 was a dud and they really need to bounce back from it.
Of course it's going to be heavy Kanto. GF needs to stop milking that cow but they never will. The f***ing champion of Galar is shown to have a Charizard for f*** sakes.

What's the point of Pokemon Home if you can't move everything forward a generation? Isn't that the whole reason they introduced Pokemon Bank in the first place? And now they're just pulling the plug on that? Yikes. Talk about tone deaf.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
I can't believe they're going to go forward with this. Either it was a joke and the Galar dex includes all Pokémon (I doubt it), or they're planning to DLC the crap out of us with Pokédex upgrades.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The seemingly Gen 1-heavy Pokedex and missing so many entirely are almost certainly the result of the same problem: updating models and animations for that many Pokemon requires an absurd amount of time and work. The Kanto Pokemon already have Switch models & animations, so it makes sense that they'd disproportionately feature into this game.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Pretty bold if they scrimped on Pokemon variety for something like dynamaxing.

Bold would be one word for that.

This started the year as my most hyped game and that has cooled considerably...but I also wound up enjoying Let's Go far more than I was expecting to, so I'll give a bit of the benefit of the doubt.

I figured part of the trade-off with going with a less demanding graphical engine was to make it easier to update the models of all of those Pokemon...it is quite disappointing that a game launching a few months short of the Switch being on the market for 3 years may be missing half of all Pokemon entirely.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
If they're not letting you port your whole collection over to Home/sword&shield then they'd at least better be continuing the Bank service for the foreseeable future. Because I literally don't have enough space on my Su/Mo/US/UM games to hold my entire bank collection if I have to evacuate them all offline to game copies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It was already announced Home could receive everything.

Problem is as of right now SS can’t receive your pokemon so it’s basically prison.

Hopefully there was a translation error or it is something that can get patched in down the line.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Bold would be one word for that.

This started the year as my most hyped game and that has cooled considerably...but I also wound up enjoying Let's Go far more than I was expecting to, so I'll give a bit of the benefit of the doubt.

I figured part of the trade-off with going with a less demanding graphical engine was to make it easier to update the models of all of those Pokemon...it is quite disappointing that a game launching a few months short of the Switch being on the market for 3 years may be missing half of all Pokemon entirely.

It's not as big a deal to me I guess because it will be mostly the newer Pokemon and like you said - the already modeled 150 Pokemon will probably all be in there.

I think they need to re-think their strategy. Hundreds of different models is impractical for a game that is released every 1-3 years especially when they're going through a major overhaul in graphics to put it on the Switch. It's kind of stuck in between being a blockbuster title (like CyberPunk is going for) and being a regular release without much new (like Call of Duty or something) that just sells really well.

They need to make a decision. It seems like they have (Call of Duty) but I'd prefer to see them slow down and put out a major release including most if not all regions and all Pokemon. Or at the very least do multiple releases of DLC where they link the worlds and where you can bring in newly modeled Pokemon from the latest expansion/DLC back into Galar or Kanto or wherever.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
It's not as big a deal to me I guess because it will be mostly the newer Pokemon and like you said - the already modeled 150 Pokemon will probably all be in there.

I think they need to re-think their strategy. Hundreds of different models is impractical for a game that is released every 1-3 years especially when they're going through a major overhaul in graphics to put it on the Switch.
Is it though? This isn't "GameFreak, the tiny indie company run by ten people", this is Pokemon, literally the highest-grossing media franchise of all time. Those little 3DS cartridges could handle 1000+ character models AND animations AND Z-moves, so it's not a technical constraint. If it's really a time constraint issue, why can't they just push the game a few months to give everyone what has been probably the biggest demand of the last ten years? I think people would absolutely wait a little bit longer for a game that feels complete, rather than one that smacks of laziness.

I'm really not trying to come off as some entitled fan so I hope I don't sound that way. It's just bizarre to me that they finally get the opportunity to bring Pokemon to a main console, one that can finally compete with the Xbox One and the PS4, and they skimp out and only make a fraction of the Pokemon available.

It was already announced Home could receive everything.

Problem is as of right now SS can’t receive your pokemon so it’s basically prison.

Hopefully there was a translation error or it is something that can get patched in down the line.
ad9c5c3156c17113552e61e6536e0e84.png

Found this on Reddit so take that for what it's worth but it appears that this isn't just a one-off thing for Sword/Shield, this is going to the be the norm moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad