Pohjola Camp 2023

FINJuniors

Aug 22, 2022
Pohjola pre-Camp has started in Finland for the kids born in 2008. No big news yet, but this deserves its own thread. This age group should be in a better position internationally compared to 07 and 06 players, who suffered harder from the corona lockdowns. Let's keep watching games and post observations here!

FINJuniors

Aug 22, 2022
The Pre-Camp was divided into Forssa, Vierumäki and Vuokatti -divisions. For non-Finns, these are towns in Finland. I watched few games of the Forssa part. Hard to say. Quite messy gameplay as expected when these kids try to shine as individuas. Don't envy the coaches' job.

Few kids that stood out for me:
- Milo Nuutinen (F @ IFK, 5+2 in 4 games). Hardworking, explosive and present in the game every second. Not outstanding in anything but good at everything. Someone that any coach would trust. Not the most beautiful play but dangerous.
- Jiko Laitinen (F, Ilves, 4+2 in 4 games). Simply solid.
- Veeti Vaaranen (F @ Lukko, 2+3 in 4 games) Simply solid.
- Miska Helenius (F @ Ässät, 1+4 in 4 games). Few very shining gameplays. Solid.
- Oiva Juntunen (F @ IFK, 4+0 in 4 games). Shoots like Laine. Powerforward.

I was surprised that I was not able to put a special weight on the last season prodigys discussed on this forum as well like Oliver Torkki (F, IFK, for me seemed that need more speed and skating power, which may or may not come over time) and Viljo Kähkönen (F, IFK, maybe was too nervous as been labeled as the most promising 08 in Finland). Also surprised that none of Jokerit or Kiekko-Espoo players from the capital region stood out. I need to confess that I mostly looked at forwards, though.

Let's see who get picked to the final Pohjola Camp roster... Wish good luck to these kids!

Last edited:

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Some Pohjola Camp thoughts

Started watching bits of Pohjola games from bottom team Peksit mainly just focusing on selected players. Most impressive player was Oliver Suvanto, rather well sized strong center. His skating was pretty decent and he had good hands. Dangerous around the net and alround solid prospect should be first team center options for U16NT. Second most impressive was left handed defender Aapo Paavilainen. He has some good hands for defender and made some nice breakouts. Good gap controls and just solid all round.

Janne Karassaari was decent somewhat speedy winger and hard worker good on the forecheck and flashed some skill and tackling here and there but I was left wanting more. Same goes for Samu Alalauri right shot defender *Edited* was pretty impressive against germany camp.

Other than the selections also looked at Anttoni Uronen. Tuomas Uronens brother and his twin brother Eelis Uronen also played at the camp and was selected to national team. Eelis plays defence i'll take a look at him later. Anttoni is notably bigger than Tuomas and plays center and was good twoway player. Better players this team. He got injured? and left early camp. Had he played full tournee there is some chance he could have made selection.

Last edited:
Reactions: FINJuniors

FINJuniors

Aug 22, 2022
Watched the "Three Country Tournament" in Järvenpää while back in Feb 2024. Probably not the top roster for Finland U16 there, but below the top five Finnish player by points.

1. Anttoni URONEN
2. Janne KARASSAARI
3. Mici KASURINEN
4. Vilho VANHATALO
5. Aaro KEINÄNEN

My overall impression is that 2008 is not a very strong age group in Finland, and therefore following the 2007 age group. Maybe something is broken in Finland's junior development system?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad