"Pogge's lost in goalie shuffle"

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
Pogge would be a Bruin now if that were the case. Pogge was signed, had been to a camp and was working with McKichan and was well on his way to becoming a Leaf when the trade was made so Toronto knew who they wanted.

You don't think that the Leafs would make the trade if the Bruins we're only interested in Pogge?

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I still don't know why they traded rask and kept him. Not saying he's bad, but rask is better.

Pogge doesn't have the talent to be an elite NHL goalie. Trading Rask and keeping him was a major blunder for the Leafs.

I dont see how you can flat out make that comment at this point. Rask could very well be better but i think there is a long way to go before you can make any type of definative statement. Personally i feel the Rask is a boom or bust type prospect with Kiprusoff type upside while Pogge is a more safe bet but with less upside.

Keep in mind this time last year former Bruin prospect Hannu Toivinen was a future franchise goaltender according to many people here. He could still be i guess but if he had that type of potential they wouldnt have traded him for Carl Soderberg.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7aUSpafsWM

The raw talent that pogge shows is unbelievable. I watched a bunch of marlies games and he is actually so quick going up and down that he often drops to the butterfly and gets up before the puck hits the boards. Its ridiculous.

Seriously name one goalie in the NHL who shows that speed and mobility? especially at 6'3.

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
Didn't even bother reading the article cause I'm sure it's wrong about the Leafs goalie situation.

Two years from now Vesa Toskala will be in his contract year, it's likely that if Justin Pogge can show that he's a starting goaltender in that season he'll get the job the year after, otherwise Toskala or a UFA would be signed.

No way is he lost in the shuffle, Clemmenson is going to back up Pogge in the AHL this year.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Pogge is right were I thought he would be. He will stay in the minors until he grows up a little bit. I have never been high on him. Maybe he was succesful in junior with the Hitmen and at the WJC. But as far as I am concerned Dany Devito could backstoped that WJC team to a gold medal. He is a decent goalie but he is way to cocky for his own good. He will grow up some day and become an average starter or a backup for life in the NHL. Take a look at this picture it just oozes with his cockyness.

That team wasn't even expected to medal, many predictions had them in 4th place, and Pogge was a massive reason they got the gold.

barrel_master

Amber Heard
Dec 15, 2004
Who is to say the Leafs didn't try to offer up Pogge first and Boston demanded Rask?

At the time it was a good risk for the Leafs, as Raycroft did have a Calder under his belt I believe.

Many of us on the leafs board disagree, at the time, we felt that it was not a good risk.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Didn't even bother reading the article cause I'm sure it's wrong about the Leafs goalie situation.

Two years from now Vesa Toskala will be in his contract year, it's likely that if Justin Pogge can show that he's a starting goaltender in that season he'll get the job the year after, otherwise Toskala or a UFA would be signed.

No way is he lost in the shuffle, Clemmenson is going to back up Pogge in the AHL this year.

I definately agree.

Justin Pogge is not in no rush, and the Leafs can wait 2-3 seasons, for Justin Pogge to completely develop.

nietzsche

Jul 28, 2007
I don't understand how he has "slid further down in the depth chart". He's only 21, and it is reasonable he will be starting in the AHL until he's 23 at the very least. Hopefully the Leafs won't turn to him if things go wrong, because it will be a disaster.

And yeah, trading Raskk was a HUGE mistake. This guy is isane, he shut the door all by himself against the Canadians at the WJC semi finals. Him and Price are the best goalie prospects right now. Pogge is not in their class.

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
Pogge's stock has slipped a little after a mediocre season. But his stock was sky-high after the WJC. He was being touted the way Price and Rask are now. IMO he's still a top goaltending prospect with #1 potential.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I dont see how you can flat out make that comment at this point. Rask could very well be better but i think there is a long way to go before you can make any type of definative statement. Personally i feel the Rask is a boom or bust type prospect with Kiprusoff type upside while Pogge is a more safe bet but with less upside.

Keep in mind this time last year former Bruin prospect Hannu Toivinen was a future franchise goaltender according to many people here. He could still be i guess but if he had that type of potential they wouldnt have traded him for Carl Soderberg.

How is Pogge any safer than Rask? Rask played against men already and did well, Pogge did average in the AHL. Both did well in the WJC, but Rask played 2 WJCs, as opposed to Pogge's 1 season. Also, Rask is a year younger. I don't see how one could make the assumption that Pogge is a safer pick.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
As it pains me to admit that, I have no idea why some people could be so harsh on Pogge. Sure, he's not the next great thing like some people were claiming he'd be, but I find him to have the size, the quickness, the rebound control as well as the puck control to be quite effective in the NHL.

I don't believe a 49-shot shutout is nothing when you're playing your 1st pro season....And if people in place are mostly all saying that he improved as the season went along, isn't that what's important?

Okay enough praising a Leaf prospect.....I'm getting a headache....

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Again he played on an AHL team that used 18 defensemen over the course of the year. And all of torontos best defense under 25 were on the big squad or traded or in europe.

1. Cola (bid squad)
2. Stralman (SEL)
3.) White (NHL)
4.) Vorobiev (RSL)
5.) Bell (Coyotes)

Seriously they had guys from york university manning the point. Come on. What do you expect for a kid in his first year playing against men behind a bunch of pylons. And his stats over his last 20 games were actually good (I think like 2.7 GAA and .900%)

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
Again he played on an AHL team that used 18 defensemen over the course of the year. And all of torontos best defense under 25 were on the big squad or traded or in europe.

1. Cola (bid squad)
2. Stralman (SEL)
3.) White (NHL)
4.) Vorobiev (RSL)
5.) Bell (Coyotes)

Seriously they had guys from york university manning the point. Come on. What do you expect for a kid in his first year playing against men behind a bunch of pylons. And his stats over his last 20 games were actually good (I think like 2.7 GAA and .900%)

You make a valid point, but if the kid didn't have an AHL level defense in front of him, isn't that the fault of the organization that is supposed to be developing? Some great goalies have been developed on bad teams (Roy in jr. for instance) but if you take a guy who's used to winning and put him in a situation where he's the only star prospect on the team and has no chance to win, you're taking a chance on hurting his development.

Luckily for the Leafs, Pogge seems to have gotten stronger as the year went on, and this year JFJ has signed a number of folks to one-way contracts who, barring injuries, would clearly spend the whole year on the Marlies.

Eagle20

Nov 2, 2006
I don't get what cockiness has to do with anything...He's young and he clearly has all the tools to be a great goalie. The Leafs know, as does Pogge, that he is not ready for the NHL yet and likely won't be for another 2 years, so this being "lost in the shuffle" is really just a bunch of rubbish.

DP is a cocky *******....but an incredible goaltender.

Geese_Howard*

Pogge is right were I thought he would be. He will stay in the minors until he grows up a little bit. I have never been high on him. Maybe he was succesful in junior with the Hitmen and at the WJC. But as far as I am concerned Dany Devito could backstoped that WJC team to a gold medal. He is a decent goalie but he is way to cocky for his own good. He will grow up some day and become an average starter or a backup for life in the NHL. Take a look at this picture it just oozes with his cockyness.

by far the DUMBEST post of the year

cockyness? ahahahahaah great goalies are cocky, see Broduer, Roy, Hasek, Belfour, etc and look at some of the currect cocky goalies, Diepetro, Emery, Biron... goalies are a different breed and judging by your post you have a vendetta against pogge.

Pogge will be fine, I still believe he will be a great goalie he has all the tools including that mental toughness soo many goalies lack, when the marlies were stable near years end he went 8-8 with a 2.08 GAA. Let's not kid ourseleves, marlies were one the worst teams in the AHL and it was baptism by fire for pogge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad