WJC: Pleasant or not, surprise players

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
There is an amazing amount of talent this year on the various WJC rosters. Some guys will be playing further down the line-up than they would in other years.
So i ask who you think will be a pleasant, or for the humbuggers out there, an unpleasant surprise.
I'll go with Zary for Canada. Every time i attended a Blazers game he impressed. Now, it's possible that all the other talent shines like we hope it will but if not Zary is my candidate to make the most of an increased role or maximize his contribution in whatever role he is given.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
I'll throw Justin Barron's name out there as a guy who doesn't have high expectations but could have a big impact on Canada with solid play.

Score some goals from the blueline and play solid defensively then people would be impressed.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I (like a lot of Canadian fans) will be watching Byfield. He's already on the 4th line and moving down.

Could he end up being the 13 or 14 forward and be an "unpleasant surprise"?

He has more tools than just about anyone but...

Reactions: TheGreekShot

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I (like a lot of Canadian fans) will be watching Byfield. He's already on the 4th line and moving down.

Could he end up being the 13 or 14 forward and be an "unpleasant surprise"?

He has more tools than just about anyone but...

I don't see how he's trending down, Tourigny said that Byfield was Canada's best player over the past couple of scrimmages.

Playing on the 4th line speaks more to Canada's depth than his play. He's youngest player on the entire team playing behind Dach, Newhook, and McMichael, all of whom have an extra year of development.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Not meant in any disrespectful manner towards @ORRFForever, but I want to see Quinton be the pleasant surprise of the Tournament and work his way up the lineup. I’m confident that that @ORRFForever would be thrilled with that as well.

Among the many I’m cheering for that stand out are:
Podkolzin
Perfetti
Newhook

I’ll stop there

C82C9245-36ED-4F4C-9EEE-1EC1E3E84B61.gif

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Not meant in any disrespectful manner towards @ORRFForever, but I want to see Quinton be the pleasant surprise of the Tournament and work his way up the lineup. I’m confident that that @ORRFForever would be thrilled with that as well.

Among the many I’m cheering for that stand out are:
Podkolzin
Perfetti
Newhook

I’ll stop there

View attachment 379684
Agree. If he dominates and is the MVP, I will do cartwheels.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Hope so. Will he even see a game though? I thought he was 3rd on their depth chart

That means nothing, that depth chart I imagine is just for practice or for the sake of listing them/let the tsn fan boys speculate.

I could be wrong but theres lots of years where the coaching staff wait until the last few days to announce who they're running with.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
I have a feeling Holloway will end up with a big role for Canada. Not necessarily being the guy to score all the goals but more of being a guy who can be put out and trusted in any given situation while still putting up some points. Dachs a no brainer to think will have a huge impact on Canada’s success but I think Cozens will also be able to drive the play on that top line and score/set up big goals for Canada as the tournament goes on.

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
It will be interesting to see which undrafted players raise their stock. This years tournament is under an even greater spotlight than normal which is kind of hard to wrap your head around.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Albert Johansson is a gem for the Red Wings. He'll be a key player for Sweden.

I also expect a few wow-moments from Oskar Olausson (if given a proper icetime).

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
Jake Sanderson will show why he was taken ahead of Drysdale.
I mean, Sanderson is a better defenceman. Doesn’t need this tournament to prove that. Ottawa got a gem.

I am going to go with a few players here:

Perfetti - he’s brilliant and what he lacks in skating won’t be exposed at a tournament like this.

Holtz - the prospect thread is going to become infiltrated with Raymond vs Holtz arguments for the next two weeks. He will score, but he will also show his underrated play making skills.

Zegras - look we all know he’s good. But he’s going to put the most points up and take tournament MVP.

Askarov - he’s going to be a wall.

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
Mikael Pyythia of Finland for me. Guy is a much better prospect than he gets credit for. Not saying best player or anything but I think he will have a good tournament. See him improving on the 0 hype he has right now at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad