PlayStation Showcase |OT| May 24th, 1PM PST

Rate the showcase:

• Total voters

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Confirms Kraven as the villain in Spider-Man 2. If this is the last game surprised we got nothing on Factions. One of the weaker showcases by Sony. Spider-Man 2 looks incredible though.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Was not impressed. Came for the FF, and they showed nothing about FF7 remake or a FFT remaster, and the trailer for 16 was average at best.

Step your game up.

And Spiderman did look ok, but i'm just not a fan of those games.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Honstely kinda shocked that they fumbled the bag so hard. They had TWO YEARS to put something incredible together and what we got was virtually zero gameplay, indie oversaturation and a f***ing movie trailer. Brutal.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Really excited for Spider-Man 2, but they really didn't show off much First Party/reason you have to own a PS5. Most of the interesting stuff was Multi-plat like Alan Wake 2, MGS remake/reboot, I have no idea what that Haven game is, it supposed to be live service but it looked more like Gears of War. Maybe Sony shows off Factions at SGF since they showed the concept for it last year. Overall, some interesting stuff, but a lot of subpar stuff cramped in there, and not enough first party. Curious what this Bungie Marathon reboot is.

Was hoping to see some Wolverine or FF VII:Rebirth, but I guess they don't want to show gameplay of those yet or they aren't in a state yet they can.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Highlights.... no, things I might be interested in: Ultros, Marathon, the new Journey game, the Gran Turismo movie (did we need to see the trailer again?)
Things I don't know anything about but which looked alright: Metal Gear Solid, FF16

Not a good watch, all in.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Assassins Creed it just so dead at this point, they need to let it go.

Horrible showcase. The trailer for FFXVI was abysmal. Alan Wake was the only thing that caught my attention.

Spiderman looked good but not my thing. Disappointing.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I feel like Yuri Lowenthals symbiote spiderman takes a lot of influence from the 90s symbiote spiderman especially in the combat.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
That show was wayyyy too hyped by Jim Ryan and the media to deliver that poor of a showing.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Felt pretty lame. The Gris followup looked cool, but it was only a cutscene, and Gris' gameplay left a lot to be desired, for me.

Most of it just made me feel negatively about the medium, though.

Reactions: robertmac43

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Kind of torn. I think objectively, they showed a lot of stuff. Spiderman, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Assassin's Creed, Alan Wake, the handheld, a couple more VR things, a bunch of indies....I'm just not that into any of it.

I think these things are destined to fail, though. Everything gets announced/rumored/leaked/whatever so nothing ever feels that big.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I said this in the ps5 thread but it seems Konami is intentionally not naming the developer of the MGS3 game. Which makes me wonder if there even IS a developer.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Kind of torn. I think objectively, they showed a lot of stuff. Spiderman, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Assassin's Creed, Alan Wake, the handheld, a couple more VR things, a bunch of indies....I'm just not that into any of it.

I think these things are destined to fail, though. Everything gets announced/rumored/leaked/whatever so nothing ever feels that big.
I think they loaded up too much (likely marketing deals), and then didn't have a killed run at the end like 2021 where all people remembered were the last 10 minutes (Wolverine, Spider-Man 2, showing off God of War). If they cut like 20-30 minutes and only showed off the stronger stuff, it would be better remember. While Wolverine and Spider-Man 2 were only CGI trailers in 2021, people have faith in Insomniac to do those right. The two big exclusives they showed for Sony that were first party exclusives (Marathon is first-party but is going to X-Box), we really have nothing to go off with Haven and Firewalk outside of Sony's reputation. If they showed something that was CGI but was from Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Guerilla or Sucker Punch, people would likely have landed due to faith people have in those teams from repeated successes.
I said this in the ps5 thread but it seems Konami is intentionally not naming the developer of the MGS3 game. Which makes me wonder if there even IS a developer.

Some rumors its some developer in China, but it does surprise me no one has been named yet.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Spider-Man 2 doesn’t look like a game ready to release in Fall 2023 (or 2023 in general) based off the gameplay shown at the event.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Spider-Man 2 doesn’t look like a game ready to release in Fall 2023 (or 2023 in general) based off the gameplay shown at the event.
Really? Based on what?

Looked like a lot of the same environments from the past games with better graphics and a couple different combat options.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Really? Based on what?

Looked like a lot of the same environments from the past games with better graphics and a couple different combat options.
Character models and graphics look like PS4 and the combat seemed laggy and unfinished.

Maybe, for some odd reason, they showed a super early build of the game, but I bet it will get delayed.

It was also odd to not announce the release date when Fall is right around the corner.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Character models and graphics look like PS4 and the combat seemed laggy and unfinished.

Maybe, for some odd reason, they showed a super early build of the game, but I bet it will get delayed.

It was also odd to not announce the release date when Fall is right around the corner.
I thought it looked fine but i would agree with the lack of release date. At this point in the year it's noncommittal of them to just say Fall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad