Playoffs: whom to cheer, whom to jeer

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Assuming that the favorites wrap up the remaining series in the East, those are some heavyweight matchups in the second round:

Rangers hosting Bruins
Panthers hosting Hurricanes

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
TLJ.jpg

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Playing for a Cup contender in the playoffs with an expiring contract, and yet no motivation. He'll be lucky to get a Sprong level contract (1yr, $2M) from a cellar team like SJS. His days in the league are numbered.

Maybe trading him was the secret to the Caps late season push for the playoffs??

Though his style of play would have fit in well with the playoff version of the Caps. He and Ovie could see who could coast the longest during shifts.

Reactions: SoupNazi

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Mark Stone is my spirit animal. Had his spleen removed, comes back for the playoffs, and is just so smart and gritty. Great job to Houdini out of the play and then back in for the redirect to give Vegas an early 1-0 lead.

EDIT: 3-2 Dallas win to take the series lead. Great game.

Last edited:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Toronto's problems
1..Mathews is nowhere near as good as Marchand
2. Leafs goalies nowhere near as good Swayman
3. Leafs coaching nowhere near as good as Bruins

That's it...plain and simple

Toronto's defense is terrible. Not that it absolved the goaltending, but you never really know what you have in net until you at least have a average D.

Reactions: 14ari13

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Saturday is going to be so funny regardless. I'm not sure which outcome I'd find more funny.
I'm in the camp where Boston has got everything to lose...Another gutsy win sans AM34 (which is a good thing IMHO - that Leafs squad needed this type of performance by the sub $6 million crowd to prove that they can still win).

Reactions: FabricDetails

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm in the camp where Boston has got everything to lose...Another gutsy win sans AM34 (which is a good thing IMHO - that Leafs squad needed this type of performance by the sub $6 million crowd to prove that they can still win).
I want the opposite because I'm rooting for chaos. If Boston loses, they might tweak a few things, but it won't be an overhaul. If the Leafs have yet another first round exit, they might finally break up Core 4.

The more player movement this summer, the better.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I want the opposite because I'm rooting for chaos. If Boston loses, they might tweak a few things, but it won't be an overhaul. If the Leafs have yet another first round exit, they might finally break up Core 4.

The more player movement this summer, the better.
Would we want Tavares? Not really, right?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Would we want Tavares? Not really, right?
No, there's not really anybody on Toronto that I'd want (under the assumption that Nylander is the last guy they'd be willing to part with).

It's more of an aggregate. If a handful of teams suddenly want to wheel and deal this summer, it promotes the type of trades you don't see as often, and hopefully Detroit can take advantage somewhere (even if it's via a domino effect, with a team that would not have otherwise considered the market, but then jumps in once a few others do).

For example, if a guy like Werenski sees Mitch Marner force his way out of town and into a good situation elsewhere, maybe he's more vocal about not being happy on a lousy Columbus team. Slim chance, but the more movement there is, the better the odds that something clicks into place.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Rooting for Vegas just because of the cap manipulation and associated whining. That said, I am also rooting for the Stars, for the exact same reason. hahaha. I will say they have mined some outstanding young talent.

Rooting against the Leafs. I want them to lose in 7. Bertuzzi will do the Hossa shrug sitting on his rump along the side boards and we'll see a summer of meltdowns from the fan base.

Rooting against the Oilers. I just don't like them.

I see the finals as the Stars/Knights vs Panthers/Rangers.

A rematch works for me. That would be an epic battle.

Worst case scenario, other than the Laffs, is the Rangers hoisting the Cup.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Tavares has never done a thing to get any team he's been on over the hump. I've always had a healthy dose of contempt for pajama boy.

Career 0.94 PPG regular season, 0.75 PPG playoffs.

I don't think he's to blame exclusively but he's definitely failed to elevate when required.

Compare to Zetterberg 0.89 PPG regular season, 0.88 PPG playoffs. And Zetterberg did that over way more playoff games, basically 3 times as many, so even more impressive.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Tavares has never done a thing to get any team he's been on over the hump. I've always had a healthy dose of contempt for pajama boy.
Agreed.

I'm just sick of saying "Need a legitimate Top 6 center" every off-season since Datsyuk retired from the NHL that I'm kicking every tire.

Career 0.94 PPG regular season, 0.75 PPG playoffs.

I don't think he's to blame exclusively but he's definitely failed to elevate when required.

Compare to Zetterberg 0.89 PPG regular season, 0.88 PPG playoffs. And Zetterberg did that over way more playoff games, basically 3 times as many, so even more impressive.
I would have bet Z's playoff PPG was higher, actually.

Twinger

Sep 28, 2017
I'm hoping Toronto loses 1-0 in double OT. Not that I like the bruins but it'll be funny to see how Toronto(city) reacts and what team management does

1-0 would be ideal because they have all this firepower

On a side note anyone think Matthews is dealing with some sort of injury (probably concussion or neck) from when he crashed into the boards against us

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I would have bet Z's playoff PPG was higher, actually.

If you focus on his prime years, he definitely elevated for the playoffs. He was over PPG 4 straight playoffs, so that's why it feels that way. His young and elder years drag down his average.

Dude was a gamer. So while him and Tavares have similar career stats, the playoff picture isn't even close.

Reactions: FabricDetails

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad