Pre-Game Talk: Playoff Series: WSH Leads Toronto 3gms to 2 #WeGotThis

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Underdogs seldom if ever win 4 of 5 games against the President's trophy top regular season best/strongest team.

Odds are very low of a Leaf series upset, without splitting the first 2 making it a best of 5 now thereafter.

Split the first 2 and then split the 2 at ACC and its a best of 3 series.

except, for when they do.

well that's dumb Mess. because either way you look at it they have to win 4.
so split in Washington or doing a sweep in Toronto, still makes it a best of 3, and it's a rush to 3. no matter how you want to make it out to be

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Leafs weren't leaving wash 2-0. They will be flying in game 2. Wash will be on their heels.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Prelim reports from Leafs Lunch that Zaitsev is out for game 2

:(

because he's not skating - or they flat out said?

if he's not. I don't want Marincin in. put Marchenko in. hell. call up Dermott. because I'd rather see Dermott/Valiev looked overwhelemed and I can go. "at least they're learning." vs seeing Marincin and I throw my shoe at someone.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011

if he's not. I don't want Marincin in. put Marchenko in. hell. call up Dermott. because I'd rather see Dermott/Valiev looked overwhelemed and I can go. "at least they're learning." vs seeing Marincin and I throw my shoe at someone.

I think they flat out said he's not playing. Not sure why they'd need to announce it, let alone announce it 30 hours before the game.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think Babcock is the reason we lost.

If he replaced Hyman with Leivo and Marincin with Marchenko, we could have won that game. That would have given us the edge we needed.

Unfortunately, our coach is a complete moron who is getting a free pass because everyone thinks he is some sort of genius.

It's amazing how well we've done despite Babcock's horrible line combos and roster decisions. Martin is another guy who should probably be sitting on the bench until he is needed.

Leaf fans were told that the organization was putting a lot of emphasis on advanced stats and we hired guys like Dubas who is supposed to be making smart decisions. Yet we somehow still end up with Hyman (barely an AHL quality player) playing with our best player and arguably our second best player.

Babcock should be fired. He is screwing up what has the potential to be a very good team. Any other coach in the league would have tried moving Hyman away from Matthews by now.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

I doubt Babcrap makes any line up changes.

Taking out Marincin would basically be admitting he made a mistake in game one and his ego is too out of control for him to ever admit to himself that he did something wrong.

Marchenko or Dermott would be huge upgrades over Marincin. And of course nothing changes with Hyman despite how much he sucks.

swint

Nov 16, 2014

If he replaced Hyman with Leivo and Marincin with Marchenko, we could have won that game. That would have given us the edge we needed.

Unfortunately, our coach is a complete moron who is getting a free pass because everyone thinks he is some sort of genius.

It's amazing how well we've done despite Babcock's horrible line combos and roster decisions. Martin is another guy who should probably be sitting on the bench until he is needed.

Leaf fans were told that the organization was putting a lot of emphasis on advanced stats and we hired guys like Dubas who is supposed to be making smart decisions. Yet we somehow still end up with Hyman (barely an AHL quality player) playing with our best player and arguably our second best player.

Babcock should be fired. He is screwing up what has the potential to be a very good team. Any other coach in the league would have tried moving Hyman away from Matthews by now.

:handclap::laugh: Man, we went from LAST in the league last year to almost beating the President's Trophy winners in game one of the playoffs this year. Writing up posts like this only demonstrates your complete lack of knowledge for the game of hockey. Making two minor changes to the line-up doesn't win you the game... scoring more goals than the other team does. Mike Babcock, who has won everything there is to win in this sport, should not be fired unless you get joy out of watching the Leafs lose every night.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I doubt Babcock needs to listen to some fans. Babcock is an elite coach and has made this team into a playoff spot.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

For sure they would be last overall to cup favourites with any other Coach.

swint

Nov 16, 2014
At the end of the day, there's a reason why the likes of Mike Babcock, Zach Hyman, and Martin Marincin are employed by the NHL (the world's best hockey league), and why all of you bashing these guys as "the reason the Leafs are losing" are sitting behind your computers writing about them. Let the boys play, and the man coach, and enjoy the fact that you are able to watch your team play past game 82.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I doubt Babcock needs to listen to some fans. Babcock is an elite coach and has made this team into a playoff spot.

We got to the playoffs because of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Andersen, Kadri, etc.

We probably would have finished second in the division with any other coach in the NHL. I really don't think that any other NHL coach would keep Hyman with Matthews all year and that change alone would have made a huge difference.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013

Rookies performing above expectations made this team into a playoff spot, Babcock certainly had an impact as well but drop any of the big 3 from their monster rookie season paces to a "normal" one and the team doesn't squeeze in by 1 point.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
:handclap::laugh: Man, we went from LAST in the league last year to almost beating the President's Trophy winners in game one of the playoffs this year. Writing up posts like this only demonstrates your complete lack of knowledge for the game of hockey. Making two minor changes to the line-up doesn't win you the game... scoring more goals than the other team does. Mike Babcock, who has won everything there is to win in this sport, should not be fired unless you get joy out of watching the Leafs lose every night.

Looking at his previous posts, looks like he adores overrated AHL player Frattin for whatever reason.
I think Babcock is the reason we made the playoffs.
Fortunantly our coach is elite and knows how to get the best out of our team. He doesnt listen to the "AHL grinder" comments. If anything Frattin is an AHL grinder.
Its amazing how great of a job Babcock(some people dont how to spell his name) with this young team and has got them competing against an elite team.
I think Babcock needs to be extended beyond his contract. Great coach.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
At the end of the day, there's a reason why the likes of Mike Babcock, Zach Hyman, and Martin Marincin are employed by the NHL (the world's best hockey league), and why all of you bashing these guys as "the reason the Leafs are losing" are sitting behind your computers writing about them. Let the boys play, and the man coach, and enjoy the fact that you are able to watch your team play past game 82.

I mean, you don't need to go on a discussion board if you just want to blindly root for your team. There's nothing wrong with that but no reason to take shots at posters who have different opinions.

Granted firing Babcock at this point is pretty extreme, but it's only marginally more extreme than holding up Zach Hyman and Martin Marincin as some sort of pillar of success though.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Rookies performing above expectations made this team into a playoff spot, Babcock certainly had an impact as well but drop any of the big 3 from their monster rookie season paces to a "normal" one and the team doesn't squeeze in by 1 point.

We dont make the playoffs under any other coach. He handled Matthews season extremely well. The way Nylander has performed in 2017 season shows how well Babcock can connect with players.
Look we know his flaws, however his positives easily outweigh the negatives. And no he shouldnt be fired PuckMagi sorry. Good thing Lou and Shanahan wont. Enough of Babcrap comments. Thats just embarrassing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Babcock is likely a top 3 finalist for coach of the year award, after getting a very unlikely team into the playoffs after finishing 30th the previous year.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

And donald trump is the most powerful man on the planet. Just because people like Hyman find themselves in the positions they do, doesn't mean they're qualified for the job.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
It's amazing how well we've done despite Babcock's horrible line combos and roster decisions.
Babcock should be fired.

Wow the hate is real. Just because you say something on here doesn't make it true.

Babcock is a genius. We made it into the playoffs because of him. It's amazing how good we are because of Babcock's line combos and roster decisions. Babcock should get a raise.

See I can do it too

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
We got hosed by the refs last night.
That's speaking the truth. They only got 1 power play and it only happened after Eller was cross checking Marincin 3-4 times when he was down on the ice in the crease. Like I said last night it seemed like the refs felt bad about having to allow Gardner's goal and that's when Washington got their 5 on 3.

If the refs call a similar game on Saturday I hope Babcock lets them have it and if he gets fined for it who cares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad