Playoff Run: DeBrincat vs Nichushkin

Which forward would you rather add for a playoff run?

• DeBrincat

Votes: 73 64.6%
  • Nichushkin

Votes: 40 35.4%

• Total voters

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
For Oilers I'd go with Nichuskin because he's an elite defensive guy and I feel like scoring goals isn't going to be a problem. Also proven in the playoffs, which matters.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
I'm high on nuke but you always go with the better player unless its close

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
In general, I think you gotta take the elite goalscorer, especially when Nichushkin’s production this season is an outlier so far. Depends a bit on the team though. If you already have a high scoring team, it might make sense to take a very good forechecking/possession/defensive player who can also score. I think the Avs are fine keeping Nichushkin for example.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
In general, I think you gotta take the elite goalscorer, especially when Nichushkin’s production this season is an outlier so far. Depends a bit on the team though. If you already have a high scoring team, it might make sense to take a very good forechecking/possession/defensive player who can also score. I think the Avs are fine keeping Nichushkin for example.

Yeah, this makes sense to me.

Imo, if you’re a team that needs someone go help run your power play, then it’s DeBrincat. Nichushkin is not going to do much for you if you put him on the wall on a power play.

If you already have high-end guys in place on the power play, Nichushkin is probably the better option. He’ll provide similar even strength production along with the forechecking and two-way game.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
If your team needs scoring, Debrincat.

If your team needs to shore up possession and defense, then Nichushkin.

I will say, even when Nichushkin isnt scoring at a ridiculous clip, he’s still doing a lot to help his team score. There’s a reason the Avs analytics department jumped at the chance to get him on a surplus value deal. Guys that help you dominate possession by doing all the little things and yoeman’s work help the finishers get more chances to…well, finish.

For the sake of this poll, Ill go with Debrincat cause scoring is hard to come by and most playoff teams need more of it.

Reactions: lionsDen

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I am of the opinion people still vastly underrate nuke. He had 15 points in 20 playoff games 9 goals 25 in the regular season where he finally got top 6 time.he goes to the hard areas. Is hell on the forecheck and plays a great 2 way game driving play. I personally don’t think it’s close whos the better overall player, nuke. That’s not to knock debrincat. Great player. I just prefer nuke

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Playoffs are rougher then the regular season and a lot more hitting. Nuke probably could deal with the wear and tear better.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Debrincat is a bit of a one trick pony that needs a lot of support to do what he does (which is score goals at an elite level).

I like the versatility you get with a player like Nuke.

If I needed a top line complimentary finisher to go with a top line play driving center, I'd go Debrincat. But otherwise, I'd probably take Nuke.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I don't understand how DeBrincat could get less than %90 of the votes here. The small hot streak from Nuke was great, and came at the best time. But he's going to come back down to earth.

Reactions: bert

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I don't understand how DeBrincat could get less than %90 of the votes here. The small hot streak from Nuke was great, and came at the best time. But he's going to come back down to earth.
People aren't choosing Nuke for his point production. It's everything else he brings to the ice.
And I wouldn't be too sure about him not scoring. He's getting the ice time now.

Reactions: Spilot23

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Nuke had a great season but Debrincat is a completely different caliber player. Give me the 40 goal scorer all day
The correct answer.

Debrincat is a bit of a one trick pony that needs a lot of support to do what he does (which is score goals at an elite level).

If I needed a top line complimentary finisher to go with a top line play driving center, I'd go Debrincat. But otherwise, I'd probably take Nuke.
Debrincat is actually a very strong two way player. Back checks very well through the middle of the ice. Tough looking take for you on this one.

Debrincate has 160 goals in 360 NHL games

Nuke has 71 in 405 NHL games.

Now clearly goal scoring isnt everything but come on folks.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Nichushkin has always been that hard working defensive player for the Avs. This year he wasn't stuck with the likes of Donskoi, Jost and Compher. He deserved that top 6 minutes and his production is starting to look like what Dallas expected him to be plus his great defensive play.

I think as @WhiskeyYerTheDevils said if u need a goalscoring top 6 player you take Debrincat. Nichushkin for everything else. This guy is a workhorse and is just starting to produce with actual top 6 players.

To me Nuke is the type of player that wins you playoffs game. We tend to forget how the slightest pressure can create so much in the playoffs. Here's clips from him doing that in the final.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Nuke is one of my faves, but DeBrincat has that Semin-like wrister, and scoring goals is really damn hard in the POs. Easier to build a line around Nuke, though, as he has a gravity about him.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Debrincat is the significantly better player, however he has a whopping 9 career playoff games. I won't fault anyone going with the vastly more experienced player in this case. Not much sample size with Debrincat.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

DeBrincat aside from being all of 8th in entire league in goalscorer last 4 years...

2nd on Chicago in hits (5th last year)
1st in takeaways (ahead of 2 way leader Toews)

DeBrincat being one trick pony is false. He also has better puck possession numbers than Kane past 4 years. He's a strong 2 way responsible player who happens to be among the elite of the elite in goal scoring.

Reactions: Senscore and Crow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad