Isles (L) @ CAPSIsles (w)vs. MTL
PITT (L) vs. CHIPITT (OTL) @ CBJ
FLA (OTL) vs. TORFLA (L) vs. CAR

ODDS -

Last edited:

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
I don't even care to compare the two teams - the Bruins are having a historic season and i want no part of it..

PS- is there anyway to watch the Panthers/Canes game tonight for us people without the NHL TV package? I'm MSG and hulu only...

I couldn't believe how slow he was on that play where he gave up the goal, holy smokes. The guy is a statue
A little unfair. He was caught in between, processed it slowly and beat. He's 22 years old. I see a lot in his game I like and that our team needs. Obviously last night was a major FU.

Games I've watched his skating is acceptable. He'll never be Leddy or Malakhov but he's no Eric Cairns either.

Reactions: JKP and Lek

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
I'm with you on this one. Neither team is desirable but I think we have a better chance of grinding with the Bruins to a 6th game than trying to get a fast start out of our guys trying to slow down the Hurricanes forecheck and their defense that scores as much as our forward unit does.
I tend to lean this way too, We can't seem to ever solve the Canes, who play us like we play other teams.
The blowout not withstanding when Barzal got injured, we've tended to play the Bruins close past few years. Beat them 2 years ago in a playoff.

Its a huge hill to climb, and Bruins have had a historic season. But they haven't played a meaningful game all year and everything has clicked.

New season now. Lets see how they react to a figurative punch in mouth when the games count again.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I tend to lean this way too, We can't seem to ever solve the Canes, who play us like we play other teams.
The blowout not withstanding when Barzal got injured, we've tended to play the Bruins close past few years. Beat them 2 years ago in a playoff.

Its a huge hill to climb, and Bruins have had a historic season. But they haven't played a meaningful game all year and everything has clicked.

New season now. Lets see how they react to a figurative punch in mouth when the games count again.

I can see both sides to the discussion, but the more I think of it, I want no part of the Bruins. I know the Canes style has been difficult for us in the past, but to me it comes down to a few things, mainly the stellar goaltending of the Bruins and the fact that the Canes have a tough time generating goals at times (only Isles have fewer goals out of EC teams in playoffs) so we could possibly keep it to low scoring games which would be easier for us to steal with Sorokin, I am not so sure we could keep the Bruins offense in check ... And yes I also am thinking long term. I would welcome the matchup with the winner of Devils/Rangers over the Leafs/TBL.

Either way we will be heavy underdogs, but really think that our style of play will make us a tough out, and would not count us out vs anyone now that we are in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olliemets

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
Taking a quick gander over at the main boards…most people have the Isles as the least likely of the playoff teams to win the cup. Less than the likes of SEA, FLA, WPG, just to name a few…

Of course, these are the same people who didn’t give the Isles a chance in hell in ‘20 or ‘21. Time to prove people wrong, again.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Taking a quick gander over at the main boards…most people have the Isles as the least likely of the playoff teams to win the cup. Less than the likes of SEA, FLA, WPG, just to name a few…

Of course, these are the same people who didn’t give the Isles a chance in hell in ‘20 or ‘21. Time to prove people wrong, again.
Good. I love the dark horse role. I would be more worried if people were overhyping us.

I wonder if those odds will change at all when the seedings are finished? Boston and Toronto have the best odds for the cup of eastern teams on the site I just looked up, so would guess could slightly shift for Florida and Isles depending on who gets WC#1 vs WC#2.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

Lots of poeple didn’t even think Boston was making the playoffs, so there that.

All the talk today on the airwaves is now how the Isles are built for the playoffs. Oh, how quickly the narratives change.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

All the talk today on the airwaves is now how the Isles are built for the playoffs. Oh, how quickly the narratives change.
Chatter on the B's board is how we are being overhyped by the media as cup contenders...

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
welll.....we are in and Pitt is not and that puts a smile on my face....i do not really care who we play....Pitt did not make it...Pitt did not make it.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
That’s ok, if you were the Bruins you’d rather play Florida vs the Isles. Bruins colleagues of mine don’t want to play the Isles.
Meh, honestly, with the season the Bruins have had, I wouldn't care. They should beat NYI or FLA, handily.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Would I be insane to go to game 1 in Boston with an Islanders sweater on?
No because I plan to be doing the exact same thing.

Svechnikov being done for the year doesn’t make the entire team less dangerous. Terravainen has been abusing the Isles for years.

Reactions: Olliemets

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

That’s always been our narrAtive. Making it to the playoffs has always been our problem.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
I agree with this statement. The attention to detail hasn’t been there like in years past.
The occurance of a major mistake on defense seems to come often these days, far more often than the rare times under barry. I feel like every game or two we're giving up a few breakaways or defensive meltdowns. maybe we gave up one of those every 7-10 games under BT.

Reactions: MJF

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Meh, honestly, with the season the Bruins have had, I wouldn't care. They should beat NYI or FLA, handily.
BOS has realistic expectations of competing to win a Cup. Part of that is the battle-of-attrition aspect. It's harder to win if you have a few 6 or 7 game series, and even harder if you have injuries or get generally beat up. Would it be biased to say that even if neither team is likely to beat the Bs, the Isles may be more dangerous re: attrition?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
No because I plan to be doing the exact same thing.

Svechnikov being done for the year doesn’t make the entire team less dangerous. Terravainen has been abusing the Isles for years.
terevainen had a down year but I don’t think there is a lesser of two evils between Boston and Carolina.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

I'd say we are built for the playoffs because we are one of the top teams 5 on 5.

But, you are absolutely f***ing screwed in the playoffs if you can't get timely goals form your PP.

Reactions: JKP and MJF

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The occurance of a major mistake on defense seems to come often these days, far more often than the rare times under barry. I feel like every game or two we're giving up a few breakaways or defensive meltdowns. maybe we gave up one of those every 7-10 games under BT.
That’s more common place across the league now, the Isles just don’t have the offense to counter those mistakes.

Reactions: doublechili

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

Basically every opinion on the main board turns out to be wrong. So thats good news.

Earliest Game 1 possibility is Monday?

Yes. Which means game 3 should be fri or Saturday which is awesome

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

Even worse than teams that don't have goaltending? Bold/

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
Isles going to playoffs 4 of 5 years under Lou’s ‘contract’ with 6 series wins. Last time Isles came close was 2002 to 2007 with 4 appearances in 5 years with 0 series wins under Snow’s contract to infinity and beyond.
Yeah but snow was only gm from July ‘06 onward.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Take this Islanders team and add a dynamic top line player and a solid defender, and they'll be a real threat.

Look who's skating now.....

Reactions: JKP

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
Carolina up 1-0 on Florida.

It’s too bad it didn’t come down to playing NJ in the first round. I think we would have run through them.

Idk who I want to play. Carolina has worse goaltending. But they’ve owned us, for a while.

Reactions: MJF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad