Playoff Push Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
I don't think we make it... we just don't have the depth and the inevitable collapse will come. Plus we desperately need a top 5 pick.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Flames, Oilers, Hawks fall further behind us. Anaheim creeps up. Overall, good night for the push!

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I don't think we make it... we just don't have the depth and the inevitable collapse will come. Plus we desperately need a top 5 pick.
Agreed that we could use a top 5 pick...although I think the depth of the Canucks is underestimated..Who saw Nilsson and Markstrom being a decent 1-2 punch,or the immediate impact of Brock Boeser,not to mention the improvement of some of the younger players.

Posters on this board are constantly predicting Canuck collapses at the beginning of every single road trip..Under Green,there are no extended losing skids.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Disagree.
We actually have VERY good depth in our lineup. Virtually every position.
We just lack elite level/top end talent at all positions.

Our depth will carry us/has been carrying us.

Look at out last 2 games alone..
Granlund, Edler, Pouliot, Vanek... then Goldobin...

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
The real test is coming with a heavy dose of games within the division and teams gearing up for the playoff push. With Horvat gone for who knows how long can guys that Benning signed this year carry that load? Slow Hank, Granlund, Gagner are the center depth with injury prone Sutter out, Burmistrov is as weak as soft vanilla ice cream.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I would've bet the farm against this being a possibility at the start of the season. Amazing that they're holding a spot right now. There are several teams behind Vancouver that I can't imagine continuing to languish much longer, but wow, there really is a possibility that this club makes it.

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Disagree.
We actually have VERY good depth in our lineup. Virtually every position.
We just lack elite level/top end talent at all positions.

Our depth will carry us/has been carrying us.

Look at out last 2 games alone..
Granlund, Edler, Pouliot, Vanek... then Goldobin...
Two games don't tell the whole story. None of those players can be counted on consistently. Although I've liked what Vanek has brought to the team.

Also now we will be able to tell what the guys that Benning has brought in can do. Let's see if Gagner can step up.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Two games don't tell the whole story. None of those players can be counted on consistently. Although I've liked what Vanek has brought to the team.

That's why they're depth players.. If they were consistent, they would be go-to players. The point was that THOSE guys stepped up the last couple games... we need the others to take their turns as well... Virtanen, Gagner, Baertschi, the Sedins... We need the committee... like the last couple of games.

Also now we will be able to tell what the guys that Benning has brought in can do. Let's see if Gagner can step up.
Opportunity knocks...

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Think Granlund steps up now in Horvat's absence.
I guess not. He had some chances in the first but no finish. Huge downgrade on first pp having him on there instead of Bo.

Going to be a tough stretch ahead.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Again, perhaps threads like this may best be reserved til later down the line.

One can cheer for playoff, but raising hope just to have an unlucky injury like this happening is pretty depressing.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks number one center is out for six weeks. Dowd isn't a top line center. Canucks only have one guy that is close to being one and that is Hank. I do not believe Daniel or Eriksson should displace Baertschi or Boeser. The sensible thing to do is to add Hank to the top line, IMO. It's peeing into the wind to even bring it up but a team serious about playoffs shouldn't balk because of tradition.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
One of the C's needs to step up, or the Sedins collectively need to step up, or yes, this thread will die a slow and painful death. Injuries killing us again. :(

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Unfortunately, this is to be expected when you lose your top center. Silver lining is that we may get a better draft pick now.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
8 straight lossses incoming
Don't see it....If anybody can make a depleted roster win..Its Green.

It will be tough for the Canucks to go on any type of winning streak in the next month and a half,but I don't see any long "Clipboard Willie" type losing streaks either...They just have to keep their record semi respectable.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Liked the pass to Boeser last night, need more of that from Granny.

Team has too many injuries right now to key players to win.

Funny how it wasn't an excuse last year for Florida, when they had more important guys out than us, it was the damn analytics guys, yet this year we can use that excuse.

As you said we will need a LOT MORE like that pass and a lot less like the last few minutes of that game from him to keep this PUSH alive!

Reactions: The Drop and HSD19

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Liked the pass to Boeser last night, need more of that from Granny.

Team has too many injuries right now to key players to win.

As I mentioned in another post, back in the cup final year or the year before, our D-corps was falling apart from injuries. And we're not talking about some random 7D either, they were prime Edler, Bieksa, Salo and Tanev (or was it Hammer). I don't remember exactly the details but I know for sure that at least half the D were out for quite a while from injuries.

And the team held the line.

Hell, look at Senators and how they played when Karlsson was out.

Injury is never pleasant, but a well-built team will either take injuries into consideration and plan ahead accordingly, or the healthy players will step up their game, often times both. This team simply doesn't have enough talent to do either of those in a consistent manner.

I remember near the beginning of the season when we were doing quite well, more than a few posters already commented on how fragile this team is, and that all it takes is a key injury for all hell to break loose. And if a team breaks down so easily in regular season, they will get slaughtered without mercy in playoffs when the intensity of the games goes ten folds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad