56 | Martin Brodeur | |
57 | Bryan Trottier | Lowest | Next at 46
58 | Ted Lindsay | |
59 | Newsy Lalonde | |
60 | Jonathan Toews | |

• Only list without Henri Richard

Round 2

Vote | 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | Notes
1 | Gretzky | Roy | Beliveau | Richard | Potvin | Howe | Messier | Harvey | Lemieux | Plante |
2 | Potvin | Messier | Harvey | Lemieux | Broda | Kelly | Plante | Kennedy | Sakic | Lafleur |
3 | Lemieux | Broda | Kelly | Sakic | Lafleur | Robinson | Bossy | Geoffrion | Lidstrom | Dryden |
4 | Broda | Robinson | Bossy | Geoffrion | Lidstrom | Dryden | Nighbor | Forsberg | Boucher | Esposito |
5 | Robinson | Geoffrion | McGee | Lidstrom | Dryden | Boucher | Esposito | Bourque | Trottier | Gilmour |
6 | McGee | Savard | Boucher | Bourque | Esposito | Gilmour | Crosby | Fedorov | Stevens | Hull |
7 | McGee | Bourque | Fedorov | Moore | Stevens | Hull | Keith | Foyston | Pronger | Lemaire | Late Ballot
8 | McGee | Bourque | Moore | Horton | Keith | Foyston | Lemaire | Parent | Sawchuk | Tremblay |

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Assume you forgot the Pocket Rocket.

Liking where Potvin & Broda are ranked.

Not liking where Plante & Orr are. Or Kurri or Crosby.

Charlie Gardiner a distant relative?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Assume you forgot the Pocket Rocket.

Indeed. Should probably have been roughly around Dickie Moore/Peter Forsberg. (And to hell with Jonathan Toews)

Liking where Potvin & Broda are ranked.

In retrospect, ranking Potvin (and Bossy, to a lesser extent) that high had the effect of ranking Bryan Trottier way too low.

Not liking where Plante & Orr are. Or Kurri or Crosby.

The only one I'd really take back in that group is Crosby... and that's mostly a function of posterior events. I'd also bump Robinson significantly, but I think everyone who paid attention is aware of that right now.

Charlie Gardiner a distant relative?

Unlikely, other than through Rollo, like just about everyone in the Scotland/England/Oil France corridor.

Seriously, part of me wanted Gardiner discussed... But I can't see how he could possibly rank behind Parent. We're talking about a player who backstopped teams to SC/SCF when they probably shouldn't have been in the playoffs in the first place.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I must admit that I'm a wee bit surprised to have been the only one to rank Larry Murphy. I mean, how far from JC Tremblay can he realistically be? Not to mention that, by the time he began adding lots of playoff games, Murphy was, at the very worst, an adequate defender.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Tommy Gorman

Seriously, part of me wanted Gardiner discussed... But I can't see how he could possibly rank behind Parent. We're talking about a player who backstopped teams to SC/SCF when they probably shouldn't have been in the playoffs in the first place.

See your point relative to Parent. Gardiner has a very compelling narrative but then you look at the Tommy Gorman factor . Basically Gorman won two consecutive SCs - 1934 Chicago and 1935 Maroons with a solid defensive structure - forechecking, centered around his portable defenceman Lionel Conacher who anchored a veteran defence, Coulter plus Abel in Chicago, Wentworth plus Shields in Montreal around a solid goalie first Gardiner then Connell. Goerman in 1934 & 35 and Adams in 1936& 37.

First two seasons of the original salary cap, which Gorman and the Jack Adams used masterfully. Net result is that you had the same coach win two consecutive SCs

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Indeed. Should probably have been roughly around Dickie Moore/Peter Forsberg. (And to hell with Jonathan Toews)

In retrospect, ranking Potvin (and Bossy, to a lesser extent) that high had the effect of ranking Bryan Trottier way too low.

The only one I'd really take back in that group is Crosby... and that's mostly a function of posterior events. I'd also bump Robinson significantly, but I think everyone who paid attention is aware of that right now.

Unlikely, other than through Rollo, like just about everyone in the Scotland/England/Oil France corridor.

No problem being in the discussion. But ranked 11th?

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I am surprised Gardiner was exclusive to your list. I recall he just missed out on mine.

Gardiner's playoff OT record is 6-1, surely one of the better records of all time. Not sure how many people knew that (I wasn't consciously aware of it myself when creating my list), but given the love for Roy and Sakic, it may have helped his cause.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I am surprised Gardiner was exclusive to your list. I recall he just missed out on mine.

Gardiner's playoff OT record is 6-1, surely one of the better records of all time. Not sure how many people knew that (I wasn't consciously aware of it myself when creating my list), but given the love for Roy and Sakic, it may have helped his cause.

...Not only that, but that OT record was achieved by playing with the Blackhawks, who were, respectively during Gardiner years amongst playoff teams (there was 6 playoffs teams during his entire career) :

6th, 4th, 6th(8th/8) and 6th (9th/9)

for goals scored. The number in parentheses show how they were for offense in the NHL, if that numbers is different than how they ranked amongst the playoff teams. For every other year (that is, non-playoffs) during Gardiner's career, the Hawks had the worse offense in the league. There only one season where they were not the worse offensive team in the playoffs, and that was in 30-31, when the Hawks outscored the Rangers and the Maroons by 2 and 3 goals (respectively) in a 44 games season. That was the Hawks big year offense-wise during Gardiner's career.

The record is, on its face impressive, but it's significantly more impressive once you realize he did so while playing with a team who couldn't score goals.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No problem being in the discussion. But ranked 11th?

I just think he belonged WAY ahead of Bernard Parent, whose team was at least solid playoffs material if you completely take him out of the equation.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Forechecking

...Not only that, but that OT record was achieved by playing with the Blackhawks, who were, respectively during Gardiner years amongst playoff teams (there was 6 playoffs teams during his entire career) :

6th, 4th, 6th(8th/8) and 6th (9th/9)

for goals scored. The number in parentheses show how they were for offense in the NHL, if that numbers is different than how they ranked amongst the playoff teams. For every other year (that is, non-playoffs) during Gardiner's career, the Hawks had the worse offense in the league. There only one season where they were not the worse offensive team in the playoffs, and that was in 30-31, when the Hawks outscored the Rangers and the Maroons by 2 and 3 goals (respectively) in a 44 games season. That was the Hawks big year offense-wise during Gardiner's career.

The record is, on its face impressive, but it's significantly more impressive once you realize he did so while playing with a team who couldn't score goals.

True except the Hawks forechecking style was ideally suited for OT hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad