Playoff Performers - Participant Survey

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I would prefer to do a top-100 all-positions list next (like we should have done two projects ago), or if we must go back to positions, coaches would be an excellent twist.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
As a coach myself, this is going to be a whale of a tall order...I'd predict even less participation than we had in the probably-too-specific playoff project. It just lends itself to being loose structurally, which is fine in some respects, but it also creates an atmosphere for some of the same complaints we had during this project...

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I would prefer to do a top-100 all-positions list next (like we should have done two projects ago), or if we must go back to positions, coaches would be an excellent twist.

Personally, I like both these ideas.

Top 40 coaches of all-time might be too ambitious though. Maybe Top 25 would make more sense. That is, if we are going to continue delaying the redo of the top 100 list. It's been 10 years :amazed: since we actually completed one, 9 years since we last tried.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Fine

As a coach myself, this is going to be a whale of a tall order...I'd predict even less participation than we had in the probably-too-specific playoff project. It just lends itself to being loose structurally, which is fine in some respects, but it also creates an atmosphere for some of the same complaints we had during this project...

Fine, but at least it would silence those who hide behind the phantom and never defined "team" position to effectively denigrate the performance of players.

Getting star players to buy into a team concept, share the responsibility offensively and defensively while juggling egos goes a very long way to appreciating the results generated by individual players.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Personally, I like both these ideas.

Top 40 coaches of all-time might be too ambitious though. Maybe Top 25 would make more sense. That is, if we are going to continue delaying the redo of the top 100 list. It's been 10 years :amazed: since we actually completed one, 9 years since we last tried.

I think 25 with fewer added per round might help focus. Still wish we did fewer per round in this one.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

This is definitely my preference.

I'll take part in the greatest single season teams project, but admittedly will be a bit less enthusiastic.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
This is definitely my preference.

I'll take part in the greatest single season teams project, but admittedly will be a bit less enthusiastic.

Like I said, we're not necessarily skipping the top-100. I think it makes more sense as a repository project than as a research/discussion project though.

I think an annual Spring research/discussion project of an unconventional topic and an annual Fall list-submission of previously covered territory is the best way to get our traditional lists and advance our historical and statistical research.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Like I said, we're not necessarily skipping the top-100. I think it makes more sense as a repository project than as a research/discussion project though.

I think an annual Spring research/discussion project of an unconventional topic and an annual Fall list-submission of previously covered territory is the best way to get our traditional lists and advance our historical and statistical research.

I agree to a point.

I do think given the last time a top 100 was taken on as an in depth project, it was what, 2007-2008? There have been numerous major studies done, old newspaper articles found (generally from the early days of hockey), information pouring out about players that weren't unearthed 10 years ago. New comprehensive statistics. Obviously certain players, active or not are going to find there way onto an updated version.

And last but certainly not least, a comprehensive top 100, would almost surely attract a huge turnout, which given the nature of the past few projects, would be a welcome sight.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Coaches would be hard. Doable, possibly, but I think it would be a very demanding task. I definitely think that, should that be the next project, going with 25 would be the way to go.

I think a top 100 list would be a better choice, myself. 100 year anniversary of the NHL, it just seems to fit.

However, if there is a desire to do something new... I propose a Top X (50?) Goalscorers list. We could look at raw totals, top5/10 finishes, how they scored (sniper/garbage-man/etc), goalscoring as compared to their teammates, and so on. It would also be pretty well representative of the various eras in the NHL, since Goal per Game stats can be normalized.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Why not do a top 100, this fall? :) I mean a fully comprehensive project.

You know the forums will be plenty active with the season going on. It's a list that is definite need of updating and I don't think many would question the assertion that it would bring about a huge turnout.

Then in the spring, we transition into an entirely new project. I have access from work and home so I'm always around.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Why not do a top 100, this fall? :) I mean a fully comprehensive project.

You know the forums will be plenty active with the season going on. It's a list that is definite need of updating and I don't think many would question the assertion that it would bring about a huge turnout.

Then in the spring, we transition into an entirely new project. I have access from work and home so I'm always around.

Two ~20-week research projects would consume our souls. :nod:

You'll notice how quickly I abandoned our monthly research project plan!

Besides, I think an ever-expanding and ever-updating repository could be greatly beneficial to HOH - especially in the long-term. I tried launching one years ago with the personal voting records thread, but if we make it a yearly thing where we collect everyone's top-100 or everyone's reflective top-3 Hart ballot picks or everyone's favorite hockey sweater, we'd have a excellent resource for the personalities in HOH. Something that's hockey-centered but also more individually-focused than the research projects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad