Playoff Officiating

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
It's not controversial to say that we are NOT in a golden age of on-ice officiating in the league right now.

Have there been any storylines or particularly egregious calls or missed calls that come to mind for fans of teams in the playoffs?

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
There are no such things as “series deciding calls.”

If you lose a seven games series over one bad call, you weren’t going to win, anyway.

Reactions: bland

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
When your series thread and GDT is flooded with neutral fans telling you your team is a bunch of divers, you can drop the act that it’s Isles fans just bitching and accept your team is soft
Personally don't care 🤷

Making threads to whine and complain, cute maybe consider they were make up calls for all the crap you got away with.

Lmfao the Isles aren't getting penalized less than 3x a game. Maybe get better at killing pelaties otherwise this will be a very short series.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
As I said in the NYI-CAR thread, it’s amazing how much the refs impact these series. Every series in the last 15 years has been decided by the refs actively being terrible against the team that lost. Just ask that team’s fans.

• Haha
Reactions: mddnh

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I think the Rags Caps game is a good indicator of frustrating officiating. Penalty fest in the first, same stuff let go in the second. No real rhyme or reason.

Just be consistent throughout and don’t manage the game. If team X is up 3-0 and team Y commits a penalty, call it. Don’t not call it and then when team X does the same infraction then you call it just because Y is down 3-0. I hate that.

Personally don't care 🤷

Making threads to whine and complain, cute maybe consider they were make up calls for all the crap you got away with.

Lmfao the Isles aren't getting penalized less than 3x a game. Maybe get better at killing pelaties otherwise this will be a very short series.
It wasn’t an Islander fan and you care enough to assume it was and comment about it.

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
I think the Rags Caps game is a good indicator of frustrating officiating. Penalty fest in the first, same stuff let go in the second. No real rhyme or reason.

Just be consistent throughout and don’t manage the game. If team X is up 3-0 and team Y commits a penalty, call it. Don’t not call it and then when team X does the same infraction then you call it just because Y is down 3-0. I hate that.

It wasn’t an Islander fan and you care enough to assume it was and comment about it.
My only complaint about officiating is that there is no consistency.... win or lose this sucks. Way too much in the NHL isn't even a judgement call it's oh we have to keep the penalties close on both sides and it results in egregious things being ignored and pathetic that shouldn't be a penalty calls.

That said... as bad as it is make up calls are a real thing and overall in a seven game series I don't think it alters the winner.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
My only complaint about officiating is that there is no consistency.... win or lose this sucks. Way too much in the NHL isn't even a judgement call it's oh we have to keep the penalties close on both sides and it results in egregious things being ignored and pathetic that shouldn't be a penalty calls.

That said... as bad as it is make up calls are a real thing and overall in a seven game series I don't think it alters the winner.
I agree, I’m watching this game now and it took me out of it in the first, I want to watch hockey and it’s a penalty parade on ticky tack calls. Second was boring and there’s not much going on here in the third. So overall not entertaining but the life was snuffed out early by the stripes.

TatteredTornNFrayed

very angry indeed
Jan 15, 2008
So I'm not accused of whining about calls against my team, I'll point out my team hasn't even played yet.

But I think ESPN casting the Tasmanian Devil character as the official in the animated game last week is appropriate, cause who has any clue what they are gonna call at any particular time.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Timmy “Greg Louganis” Stutzle was on the ice for Carolina based on the flopping they did in hopes of selling calls. Thankfully the MSG feed didn’t get clogged up by Rod yelling at the refs in hopes of getting a few extra power plays.
200w.gif

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I sort of wish someone took the time to meticulously keep track of weak calls. I felt like a lot of them were an effort to even up the number of powerplays, which is a natural human thing to do but ultimately flawed given that some teams will take more penalties than other (and really, it's usually the team that's chasing the game) and it gets worse when that team does an actual infraction and the penalties are no longer "even" on both sides.

But I only have anecdotal evidence from some pretty horribly officiated Canucks games this season, and a lot of them were at the hands of the NHL's preferred finals ref.. therefore any series officiated by Kelly Sutherland is probably gonna be terrible.

Reactions: egelband

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Penalties are dependent on the crew, and even then the crew’s approach changes game to game.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
You know what grinds my gears? Dudes getting thrown out of faceoffs with no explanations to fans.

Does any other sport let officials/linesmen dictate the game with no explanation to fans?

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Timmy “Greg Louganis” Stutzle was on the ice for Carolina based on the flopping they did in hopes of selling calls. Thankfully the MSG feed didn’t get clogged up by Rod yelling at the refs in hopes of getting a few extra power plays.
Canes fans whine about calls was the narrative before the series started.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad