Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
Damn if Jarnkrok comes back, Keefe could ice a pretty solid lineup:

Bertuzzi Matthews Domi
Nylander Tavares Marner
McMann Jarnkrok Knies
Robertson Dewer Reaves
Holmberg/Kampf
Thinking how great it would be if Treliving gave O'Reilly Klingberg's money. having him as 3C in that lineup looks so good.

*Flinching in anticipation of being told that couldn't/wouldn't work because reasons involving the cap and O'Reilly interests etc.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Thinking how great it would be if Treliving gave O'Reilly Klingberg's money. having him as 3C in that lineup looks so good.

*Flinching in anticipation of being told that couldn't/wouldn't work because reasons involving the cap and O'Reilly interests etc.
Think about how great it would be if O'Reilly wanted to be a Leaf*

Chandler Stephenson would be a nice offseason ad. Imagine these lines.

1X. Knies--Matthews--Domi
2A. McMann-Tavares-Marner
2B. Robertson-Steph-Nylander

Essentially 1 first line and 2 above average second lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: CabanaBoy5

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Knies Jarkrok. McMann could be a good 3rd line if we load up the top 2 lines.

Dwar. Kampf. Reaves as the 4th

Still have Holmberg, Robertson and Gregor as subs

Pretty Deep.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Hopefully everyone is ready to go for the playoffs or before.

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi
Robertson - Tavares - Marner
Knies - Jarnkrok - Nylander
McMann - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Benoit - McCabe
Brodie - Edmunson

Samsonov - Jones - Woll

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
it's crazy that we made 3 moves at the deadline and I only want one of them in the lineup for game 1.

Domi - Matthews - Bertuzzi
Jarnkrok - Tavares - Marner
McMann - Holmberg - Nylander
Knies - Kampf - Reaves
Dewar, Robertson

Rielly - Lub
McCabe - Liljegren
Brodie - Benoit
Edmunson, Timmins, Gio

Reaves has done a 180 from the beginning of the season... the injury really helped him and I think he is a trustworthy player now and actually adds something to the team.

Robertson is not trustworthy defensively as much as I want his offense in the lineup. If it is needed, you can probably move Jarnkrok to 4RW, and bench Reaves, then put Robertson with Tavares and Marner.

I don't even want Lub in the lineup, I think Timmins is better, but not sure how to make the lineup with him in over Lub. Rielly/Lub has actually been effective as well, and it allows Brodie to move to 3rd pairing (and Brodie/Benoit have good results) while McCabe/Liljegren has been good this year.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Bert Matty Domi
McMann JT Mitch
Jankrok Holmberg Willy
Knies/Roberton?? Dewar Reaves

Rielly Boosh
McCabe Benoit
Ed Lily/Brodie

Sammy

1 rook winger should make playoff roster .. still not sure which one although Knies most likely .. and 1 of Lily/Brodie will get 6th D slot most likely Brodie

Sammy starts and Woll backs up .. hopefully Jones gets start in 1 of last 2 games .. to me I start Woll against Florida and Jones against Tampa

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Its a bad sign we dont know the playoff lines a few games before the dance.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
We all know the rules change in the playoffs. Those rules change wont help us....never has
Unless Edmundson and Lyubushkin play and the refs turn a blind eye to their infractions like the other goons in the playoffs then maybe it will help us. But refs hate us....and our PK sucks badly.

Not a good combination .

We all wanted big goons to add toughness but it would be nice if they could make a decent first pass out of our zone. We dont want to many goons that cant really play hockey and just offer crosschecks and face rubs and it doesnt help they are as slow as molasses too.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I think Keefe really likes Holmberg, so my guess is Dewar and Robertson is the odd man out when healthy.

But depends on Bobby McMann too

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Lines at practice:

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Marner
Knies - Tavares - Nylander
Robertson - Holmberg - Gregor
Dewar - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Liljegren
Giordano - Timmins
Brodie

Samsonov
Woll
Jones

Not sure where Domi is.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
I think the Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi line is pretty set in stone unless there's an injury that forces a change. The rest is up for debate, but I'm fine with anything that has Marner with Tavares, and Nylander on line 3.

As for the blueline, I'm OK with Brodie on the 3rd pair. But he shouldn't be any higher than that. Scratched if he has a bad game.

Samsonov is the starter, with Woll wearing a cap on the bench. But if Sammy goes down or is horrendous, I think Jones would be the next man up to get a start.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Wonder if Keefe has the awareness, intelligence and logic required to take TJ Brodie out of the playoff lineup??

The issue is Brodie is better than Edmundson. Edmundson has shown me nothing except a good cross-check here and there. Every pairing below has played well in their minutes together and is driving play. Also a good mix of puck movement and the ability to defend.

I think the ideal D lineup is:

Rielly - Lub
McCabe - Liljegren
Brodie - Benoit

And the F group should be:

McMann - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Holmberg - Nylander
Knies - Kampf - Reaves

Wanted to put Robertson in, but he is a liability defensively, and we always have trouble scoring in the playoffs, so being one goal down does not sound good to me.

If people are deadset on Robertson, you are either taking our Reaves or Holmberg for him.

If Reaves comes out, do this:

Robertson - Holmberg - Nylander
Knies - Kampf - Jarnkrok

If Holmberg is out, Domi is 3C most likely, so 1st line gets worse, but 3rd line gets better.

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Jarnkrok
Robertson - Domi - Nylander
Knies - Kampf - Reaves

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
The issue is Brodie is better than Edmundson. Edmundson has shown me nothing except a good cross-check here and there. Every pairing below has played well in their minutes together and is driving play. Also a good mix of puck movement and the ability to defend.

I think the ideal D lineup is:

Rielly - Lub
McCabe - Liljegren
Brodie - Benoit

And the F group should be:

Jarnkrok - Holmberg - Nylander
Knies - Kampf - Reaves

Wanted to put Robertson in, but he is a liability defensively, and we always have trouble scoring in the playoffs, so being one goal down does not sound good to me.

If people are deadset on Robertson, you are either taking our Reaves or Holmberg for him.

If Reaves comes out, do this:

Robertson - Holmberg - Nylander
Knies - Kampf - Jarnkrok

If Holmberg is out, Domi is 3C most likely, so 1st line gets worse, but 3rd line gets better.

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Jarnkrok
Robertson - Domi - Nylander
Knies - Kampf - Reaves
So people think we wasted draft picks for Edmunson not to play?

Reactions: arso40

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It's been difficult to really put combinations together that would work, and I think we have to abandon the idea of trying to create a shutdown line because it just leaves other areas too exposed. We'll have to put alternate combinations together situationally, but I think what I would like to see is:

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi
Nylander - Tavares - Marner
Robertson - Holmberg - Jarnkrok
Knies - Kampf - McMann

It spreads our 4 best defensive forwards (Matthews, Marner, Jarnkrok, Kampf) across the lines to help support the rest of the lineup. Top line has been hot, so might as well ride the wave. That allows us to stack up the 2nd line. Tavares can go to the net and Marner and Nylander can work their magic and get pucks inside. Nylander has history playing on that off side. Takes apart the dominant Matthews-Marner duo, but Matthews still has a playmaker in Domi, and Marner still has two of the best shots on the team to get passes to. They have been at 65.8 and 66.7 xGF% respectively.

In, the bottom six, we have Robertson's shot to drive the 3rd line, and we give him some familiarity and defensive support. Robertson-Holmberg have featured in a number of good line combinations and Robertson - Jarnkrok have featured in a number of good line combinations, so I think it could work. Kampf allows the big body wingers to forecheck and work down low. Knies has also shown an ability recently to individually elevate against lesser competition, so he could add some scoring pop, and both he and McMann have good shots.

Rielly - Lyubushkin
McCabe - Liljegren
Brodie - Benoit/Edmundson

I tried to find the combinations that have worked best together, and spread out the talent. Rielly has familiarity with Lyubushkin, and they compliment each other's skillsets. They have a 56.6 xGF% together, and it's one of the few combinations where Rielly has good defensive results. McCabe-Liljegren have a 61.5 xGF% together, and them being together can hopefully ease some responsibility on Brodie. He's worked well with both Benoit and Edmundson, putting up good defensive results and a 70.6 xGF%. Benoit has been better for us this year, but Edmundson does have the experience.

Samsonov
Woll

Samsonov seems like our starter right now. He's had a bumpy few games recently but has generally been good since returning. He came up big in game 6 of the 1st round last year, and he deserves first shot. Woll has shown flashes and generally played well when he came in against our likely opponent last year, but he is still quite raw and has struggled a bit more recently. Murray potentially being available down the road is a wild card if he shows that he's healed. A big body goalie with cups and a lot of playoff experience.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Think about how great it would be if O'Reilly wanted to be a Leaf*

Chandler Stephenson would be a nice offseason ad. Imagine these lines.

1X. Knies--Matthews--Domi
2A. McMann-Tavares-Marner
2B. Robertson-Steph-Nylander

Essentially 1 first line and 2 above average second lines.
I agree that Stephenson would be a good add, but I do think Bertuzzi will come back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad