OT: Playoff goals

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
I was away on business and as I sat in my hotel I was watching clips of some recent memorable Islander playoff goals and it got me thinking..What goal drew the loudest ovation from us Isle fans. Curious to see what my fellow fans think was the loudest and craziest celebrations. Here are some of the ones to rank:

-Tavares goal to make it 5-4 against Pittsburgh in Game 4 with about 9 something to play in the 3rd
-Kulemin's GWG in Game 6 against the Caps
-Tavares OT goal against the Caps in Game 3
-Tavares goal to tie the game against Florida in Game 6 with under a minute left
-Tavares GWG goal in double OT to clinch the series

While these 2 I don't think were as loud as the above but Baileys goal against Florida last year when they came back from 2-0 with 3 mins was pretty loud, as well as Cizikas's goal against Pittsburgh to go up 2-0 against the Pens in Game 3 was loud too.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
There are 3 goals that will be among the biggest goals in the history of the NHL

1. Tonelli to Nystrom
2. David Volek in 1993 against Pitt
3. Pat Lafontaine - 4 OT game vs Washington

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Shawn Bates.

The loudest I ever heard the Coliseum get.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
There are 3 goals that will be among the biggest goals in the history of the NHL

1. Tonelli to Nystrom
2. David Volek in 1993 against Pitt
3. Pat Lafontaine - 4 OT game vs Washington

Add in some other big series winners:
4)Morrow to beat the Rangers in OT series winner in 84. Sent us to 5th straight cup appearance
5)JP Parise's goal to beat the Rangers in OT series winner in 75 playoffs. Started it all
6)Tonelli in 82 playoffs OT to beat Pittsburgh after being down by 2 goals in 3rd period regulation in decider. Kept the cup run alive after this first round victory.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Add in some other big series winners:
4)Morrow to beat the Rangers in OT series winner in 84. Sent us to 5th straight cup appearance
5)JP Parise's goal to beat the Rangers in OT series winner in 75 playoffs. Started it all
6)Tonelli in 82 playoffs OT to beat Pittsburgh after being down by 2 goals in 3rd period regulation in decider. Kept the cup run alive after this first round victory.

One that's not a playoff goal, in 1982 the John Tonelli goal with 47 seconds left off Chico Resch of the Rockies to extend the Isles winning steak to 15 games and set the record for a winning streak without a tie. The building shook on that goal.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
I always hated that the Bates goal is so widely celebrated. Yea, I know, the Coli was loud. Big deal. He scored a shootout goal in a series we lost.
The Volek goal, in my opinion, is 10X the Bates goal, especially considering the team we beat.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The Tavares goal(s) to win the series last year are the best goals I've ever seen for the franchise, but I don't know how loud the arena was. It got pretty loud for Hickey's goal in game 3 during OT, but the Coliseum was louder.

1calledsteve

Dec 17, 2013
Long Island
As far as recent games go, I really loved the noise and excitement of Okposo's breakaway shortie to tie it against the pens in 2013. Beautiful afternoon game with heavy tailgating with steak and eggs. Even though the Isles lost in OT still one of the more impressive goals I have seen live given the circumstances.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
I always hated that the Bates goal is so widely celebrated. Yea, I know, the Coli was loud. Big deal. He scored a shootout goal in a series we lost.
The Volek goal, in my opinion, is 10X the Bates goal, especially considering the team we beat.

Penalty shot, quite different. And what had Islanders fan had to go wild about in recent memory at that point? The moment justified the celebration.

The OP said loudest response to an Islanders goal, the Pens fans were really going nuts for the Volek goal....

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I was away on business and as I sat in my hotel I was watching clips of some recent memorable Islander playoff goals and it got me thinking..What goal drew the loudest ovation from us Isle fans. Curious to see what my fellow fans think was the loudest and craziest celebrations. Here are some of the ones to rank:

-Tavares goal to make it 5-4 against Pittsburgh in Game 4 with about 9 something to play in the 3rd
-Kulemin's GWG in Game 6 against the Caps
-Tavares OT goal against the Caps in Game 3
-Tavares goal to tie the game against Florida in Game 6 with under a minute left
-Tavares GWG goal in double OT to clinch the series

While these 2 I don't think were as loud as the above but Baileys goal against Florida last year when they came back from 2-0 with 3 mins was pretty loud, as well as Cizikas's goal against Pittsburgh to go up 2-0 against the Pens in Game 3 was loud too.

I was at the game where we went up 2-0 on the cizikas goal and that was the loudest I've ever heard the Coli! Beer showers on the top level and the best goalie taunting I've ever heard to follow.. FLEURRRYYYY FLEURRRRY

Islanders1932

Jul 16, 2006
Long Island
For me since I wasn't around during the cup years, I'd say the loudest definitely has to be at the coliseum even though the biggest moment recently was at the Barc. My answer may surprise people, but I was at every game in that Pittsburgh series and I thought the loudest moment was when Okposo scored the breakaway goal while falling down. The coliseum excitement had been building and chants were all over the place and when Okposo scored pandemonium broke out.

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
I was at Game 3 against the caps when Tavares won the game in OT. That was pretty damn loud. I was also at the game 4 when Tavares scored the go ahead goal to make it 5-4. That was very loud too, the MVP chants after were very loud as well

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
Penalty shot, quite different. And what had Islanders fan had to go wild about in recent memory at that point? The moment justified the celebration.

The OP said loudest response to an Islanders goal, the Pens fans were really going nuts for the Volek goal....

Yea, my bad. I still hate celebrating something in a series we ended up losing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad