Playoff Goalies

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I know a lot of people associate Bobrovsky with failing in the playoffs but ever since he's became a true starter in Columbus he's only played 11 playoff games, numbers in that small of a sample can be largely irrelevant.

And Quick who has the opposite reputation, his last two playoff runs were a .911 and .886 save percentage respectively.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Rinnes not the best goalie, just plays behind the best defense but same thing I guess. There are so many things wrong with that list anyways idk where to even start haha. Holtby hurt or something

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I won't rank them....but we will sink or swim depending on how Andersen plays.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Kinkaid may be ranked last in this group, but since the all star game he is 19-6-1 with a .922 save percentage. In the playoffs, a hot goaltender could bring you a long way.

Reactions: bukwas and HBK27

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
  1. Quick
  2. Rask
  3. Bobrovsky
  4. Andersen
  5. Fleury
  6. Rinne
  7. Holtby
  8. Murray
  9. Vasilevsky
  10. Gibson
  11. Helleybuck
  12. Jones
  13. Dubnyk
  14. New Jersey
  15. Bernier
  16. Philadelphia

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Rinnes not the best goalie, just plays behind the best defense but same thing I guess. There are so many things wrong with that list anyways idk where to even start haha. Holtby hurt or something

Just because Nashville has the best defensemen doesn't mean Rinne can't also be great. There were plenty of times this year where Josi and Subban looked like hot garbage too, so just because they have name recognition doesn't mean they always play to their potential.

Rinne led them to the finals last year during an up and down season and came back and focused on his technique and had a Vezina caliber season.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I know a lot of people associate Bobrovsky with failing in the playoffs but ever since he's became a true starter in Columbus he's only played 11 playoff games, numbers in that small of a sample can be largely irrelevant.

And Quick who has the opposite reputation, his last two playoff runs were a .911 and .886 save percentage respectively.

"11 games is too small a sample size and thus unfair."

*cites 5 game sample size to bash different goalie.*

Come on. Quick has the opposite rep because he has 2 Cups and a Conn Smythe with a f***ing .946 next to it. It's more than raw save percentage, but he has a .921 over 81 playoff games. Be honest.

moose3322

Apr 3, 2007
Among starters (more than 50 games played):

Hellebuyck is 1st in wins, 3rd in SV%, 3rd in GAA, and probably a vezina candidate this year. On a traditionally poor defensive team, which he has a huge part in rocketing up to 2nd in the entire league.

Really not giving him the benefit of the doubt I guess, for both lists so far to rank him at 11th out of only 16 goalies...

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009

It's hilarious how often this argument is made and ends up dying in a fire.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Just because Nashville has the best defensemen doesn't mean Rinne can't also be great. There were plenty of times this year where Josi and Subban looked like hot garbage too, so just because they have name recognition doesn't mean they always play to their potential.

Rinne led them to the finals last year during an up and down season and came back and focused on his technique and had a Vezina caliber season.

Some people think that franchise players never make a mistake or have off games. It's a dumb myth that needs to die. Everytime someone makes a mistake people use that as evidence someone isn't elite. They don't realize guys like Subban are elite because they take chances and sometimes those chances backfire and wind up in the back of your net.. Unless you have a goalie to save your ass, and then on the score sheet it looks like you played a perfect game.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Rank the starters

1) Rinne
2) Murray
3) Quick
4) Rask
5)Vasilevsky
6) Gibson
7) Andersen
8) Fleury
9) Jones
10) Brobovsky
11) Helleybuck
12) Mrazek
13) Gruabaer
14) Dubnyk
15) Bernier
16) Kinkaid/Schneider

What are you ranking them based on? How they're playing lately or playoff track record throughout their career?

Those two lists look very different IMO.

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
I completely agree. However, Elliott is the floatiest bit of driftwood in the sunk ship of Flyers goaltending this season. Isn't that sad?
Inconsistent as he is, Mrazek generally performs better in games that matter. He is better in PO than in regular season and you could also see that in Philly: he was playing great the first few games for the team - the high-adrenaline stretch when a goalie wants to prove his worth.

Of course, he is still a very undeveloped and inconsistent goalie, so take this with an iceberg of salt...

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Inconsistent as he is, Mrazek generally performs better in games that matter. He is better in PO than in regular season and you could also see that in Philly: he was playing great the first few games for the team - the high-adrenaline stretch when a goalie wants to prove his worth.

Of course, he is still a very undeveloped and inconsistent goalie, so take this with an iceberg of salt...

Thanks, NH. I remember playoff games where Mrazek just went full wall and would love to see that. I doubt Dave Hakstol has much confidence in him now, though, given his wildly inconsistent showing. Personally, I would start Elliott but have a short leash with the hope that Mrazek has a lot of pixie dust on tap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad