Playoff #1Cs - lots on this list. We don't have one.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
1715601634565.png

Matthews aint it. All these guys can carry the puck and drive play. They aren't just shooters.

Hot Take: Matthews is a right winger.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Stop trolling he just had 70 goals and played through food poisoning and possibly a concussion.
This is about playoffs.

Playoff points. Matthews has played in plenty of playoff games to evaluate his ability to take a team deep in the post season.

Stop trolling he just had 70 goals and played through food poisoning and possibly a concussion.
definitely wasn't a concussion, and there is no proof he had food poisoning. Nobody knows "what he had".

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If he’s not over the food poisoning and possible concussion after eight yrs of suffering, maybe he should retire.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I thought he had some kind of leg injury. He still needs to prove to me that he can be the guy to lead us to a SC.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
This whole thread is a bad and misguided premise.
I don't see Matthews EVER being as successful as the players listed --- IN THE PLAYOFFS.

I'd love to see him successful, but his shooting game doesn't translate well to the playoffs. I think he feasts on open ice against bad regular season teams.

He doesn't have the complete game of MacKinnon, Rantenen McDavid Crosby.

Matthews isn't in that echelon and never will be.

I'm glad to have him on the team, but for the AAV he commands, he's awkwardly hard to setup for success. I like Nylander's post season game.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I admit I did find it a bit embarrassing how he was anointed the modern day Messier after exactly one dominant game the Boston series. Literally his first goal in 9 playoff games and he had reached the pinnacle of sport apparently. Encouraging but…

Reactions: Racer88

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
how can you say it definitely wasn't a concussion?
I can't. Other than the MLSE health team thought Nylander's migraine was a concussion as well. Regardless of the primary complaint it looks like their doctors throw concussion in the differential diagnosis, with more hysteria than logic.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
heck, if the Leafs were in any other division, the 'Core 4' playoff numbers would be a heck of a lot higher.

Reactions: Bust

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I've seen some pretty ridiculous takes form you, but saying the Oilers suck has to be high on the list of clueless opinions.

Please explain to us how you arrived at this conclusion?
Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 7.12.21 AM.png

The best they've done is win 2 rounds and then get swept.

Can you explain why you think they are good?

Reactions: TMLife17

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
heck, if the Leafs were in any other division, the 'Core 4' playoff numbers would be a heck of a lot higher.
I’d disagree, we aren’t in some elite division. There is one team in the top 5 defensive teams from this division and 2 in the top 10. If anything this division is a little weak defensively.

Reactions: egd27

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
The thing is Ham he could do it if he wanted to. He could take command of the puck and be that elite play driver. He does have the skills. He just doesn't have the desire.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I've seen some pretty ridiculous takes form you, but saying the Oilers suck has to be high on the list of clueless opinions.

Please explain to us how you arrived at this conclusion?
I'll help him out...
Let be generous and say the Oilers started their rebuild in 2010 with the Hall pick. (they picked top 10 the season before also, and missed the playoffs every season since losing in the Final in 2006 up till 2017)
2010 -1st Hall
2011 -1st, 19th RNH & Klefbom
2012 -1st (Yak)
2013 -3rd Nurse
2014 -3rd (Drais)
2015 -1st (McD)
2016 - 4th Pulj
2017 -22nd Yama (finally a little improvement and made playoffs)
2018 -10th Bouchard (sucking again)
2019 -8th Broberg
2020 -14th Holloway (made playoffs)
then they made the playoffs in 2017, and right back to missing twice in a row, with the Best player on the planet since 2015.
The Oilers best season since 2006 was winning 2 rounds in 2022 while missing the playoffs 12 times in that span with insanely high draft picks to help jumpstart their rebuild(s)
4x #1 overall
2x #3 overall
1x #4 overall
thats insane, and was over 7 seasons, and 2 of those picks was a 'bust'.
So, given when they started their rebuild and the insanely high picks over a 7 season straight period they should be a Dynasty team, so, they do suck. (until they win a cup)

Leafs started in 2014 with the Nylander pick at #8
then Marner @ #4
and Matthews at #1 in 2017 and made the playoffs that season (same season as the Oilers) and never missed since.
The Leafs were not expected to make the playoffs until 2020 at earliest, but exceeded expectations and took every team they played (as the underdog) to 7 games. ...they also suck, (until they win a cup) but at least they didnt have a 5 year head start and only had 3 top 10 picks over 3 seasons to become a regular playoff team. their biggest problem was not sucking for longer and stocking up more players.

I’d disagree, we aren’t in some elite division. There is one team in the top 5 defensive teams from this division and 2 in the top 10. If anything this division is a little weak defensively.
Florida is one of the top defensive teams this season, even if they dont look it. (statistically) TB isnt but, they still have Hedman and Vasy.

Reactions: Al14

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
An elite #C needs to generate more offence than they give up.

1715607479571.png

Playoff #1C

DEFINITIONS:

(1)imo a #1 center is above a PPG tho if someone brings elite defence it can be a bit lower

(2) needs to be able to handle a large workload and be effective in all situations, first line center just means he is on the first line in terms of production.

(3)
Top 30 in the entire league in scoring (not just among centers)
Top 25 in the entire league in +/-
Top 10 in the entire league in even strength points

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
AH... nice that your sample size is one set of playoffs... good job at trying to prove a silly narrative. By the way.... Matthews fits your definitions in the regular season, pretty closely, so thanks for coming out. It's a beautiful day, going outside and enjoying the weather is highly recommended over building silly narratives to get worked up about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad