Playing in the CHL then in the NCAA

Claude The Fraud

Apr 2, 2008
Rimouski
I know it's currently impossible as players loose their NCAA eligibility the minutes they play one game in the CHL, they're not even allowed to go to a training camp for more than 48 hours unless they pay for their expenses.

But as it always been this way?

I somehow ended up on Randy Velischek Hockeydb page and saw he played four playoff games for the Verdun Black Hawks, as a 16 years old in 1978-1979, before playing four season for the Providence College.

Does somebody knows when the rules stating that players lost their NCAA eligibility once they played in the CHL started?

Does anybody have other exemples of players who played in the CHL before moving to the NCAA?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
NCAA Hockey has existed since 1896, perhaps surprisingly, making it almost as old as NCAA Football. Try as I have I cannot find anywhere on the internet information on when the ncaa made a determination about making Canadian Junior players ineligible. When would a bunch of Canadian juniors have even considered wanting to attend an ncaa school and play hockey there to begin with? I would suspect post-War, maybe in the 1960s or 1970s as NCAA hockey grew in popularity and stature, and a larger number of individuals took interest in attending university generally.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Glenn Anderson is the first guy I thought of. He played major junior and NCAA, but I can't remember the order or the circumstances otherwise. Did he play major junior before Denver? But he played Tier II, major junior, NCAA, and Olympic Team, which is fairly unique, i think.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
CHL players became ineligible when the three junior leagues withdrew from Hockey Canada in 1980 (might have “officially” been 1981 — I’ve got detailed notes on this but no access right now).

Essentially, once the CHL withdrew from Hockey Canada and negotiated directly with the NHL to create the NHL-CHL Agreement (replaced the NHL-CAHA Agreement which dated back to the mid-1930s), the junior leagues’ claim to amateurism was gone.

Former CHL players already in the NCAA were fine — when they were junior players, Hockey Canada was still their governing body.

There’s more to the story and I’ll try to post something after the weekend, assuming anyone is still interested.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
NCAA Hockey has existed since 1896, perhaps surprisingly, making it almost as old as NCAA Football. Try as I have I cannot find anywhere on the internet information on when the ncaa made a determination about making Canadian Junior players ineligible. When would a bunch of Canadian juniors have even considered wanting to attend an ncaa school and play hockey there to begin with? I would suspect post-War, maybe in the 1960s or 1970s as NCAA hockey grew in popularity and stature, and a larger number of individuals took interest in attending university generally.
1. I'd be interested in knowing what source you used for the statement: "NCAA Hockey has existed since 1896." This source offers a different timeline ...
In 1926, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) – still in its infancy – looked to expand its influence outside of football and into the hockey world. Rather than rely on rules set up by a group of universities, the NCAA organized an ice hockey rules committee of its own that year. Within two years, the association made a deal to take over management of the Ice Hockey Guide, previously distributed by Spalding for nearly 30 years. This association could now promote its rules through a previously-set distribution base. And they did just that beginning in 1928. This guide helped promote the NCAA brand as the premier amateur hockey association in the United States while also distinguishing it from the professional brand. ...
2. The basis of NCAA restrictions on Canadian major juniors players transferring is the evolving definition of "amateurism," which was established very early in U.S. college hockey. With NCAA rules committee decisions being hard to track down in this century, I'm not surprised your search for 20th C rules decisions was fruitless.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
NCAA (a specific organization) was a misnomer. My apologies, I should have said “American college hockey”. Yale has had a team since the date I mentioned and they were playing the Ivy League schools shortly thereafter.

Claude The Fraud

Apr 2, 2008
Rimouski
Glenn Anderson is the first guy I thought of. He played major junior and NCAA, but I can't remember the order or the circumstances otherwise. Did he play major junior before Denver? But he played Tier II, major junior, NCAA, and Olympic Team, which is fairly unique, i think.

Yeah, he played for the New Westminster Bruins before playing for Denver. He’a an other one who played in the CHL before playing in the NCAA.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad