Playing at 80%

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I have heard it multiple times now, but figured it would be good for discussion.

In an 82 game season, players learn how to conserve energy for the playoffs. I don't think this is something the Blues have always done. I noticed it last year and this year- where certain lines seem to step up and have a great game and other lines seem to be more...blah.

There are definitely games where everything seems to be on the line and others where it is kind of like - whatever.

Do you believe that this happens. And do you think the coaching staff kind of picks what line(s) should up their energy level a bit?

I bring this up because it is something I have noticed and now that Tank isn't driving play like he was in November and December, everyone is bagging on him.

There is always talk about elevating your game on the post season. Is that players starting to play at 100%?

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
As far as I'm concerned, let them go easy if they're this comfortable in the standings. Regular season hockey drags on for 82 games, then another 16+ if you are successful, might as well be as close to 100% energy in the postseason as possible.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
Tarasenko is getting targeted relentlessly now that the roster is struggling to score without him. He's getting lined up for some really big hits that the refs could apparently care less about. (I wouldn't care either but the Blues aren't allowed to use them or respond to them without getting tossed) We have a couple guys that could really benefit from someone "creating time and space" but instead we have Backes doing it for the likes of Jaskin. The team has really lost its knack for scoring on the first play of the rush, which is where Schwartz and Tarasenko seemed to pick up a lot of important goals. The team also sucks at executing one-timers for whatever reason which doesn't make sense because it's an easy way to create a scoring chance with minimal use of energy. (or puck possession talent)

There's a lot of things they could do better that don't rely on skating as hard as they can or always taking the body or backcheck with 4 skaters or having a d-man pinch every play. I don't think 100% effort will change just making sloppy passes and over hesitating with the puck in the offensive zone. A lot of teams can just defend against the Blues setting up in the offensive zone instead of defending the puck and the Blues will overplay it until they fail or push the puck out the to point where it's a dangerous turnover.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad