Players you met who were jerks/nice guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

acr*

I met Ray Bourque a couple years ago at one of his son's high school games, and he seemed to be in a bad modd, he was trying to get all the autographs done as quickly as possible and shove everyone aside.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
LadyByngJeanRatelle said:
I know this isn't a hockey story...so it's definitely off topic. But I'll share anyways.

Years ago my family was in Las Vegas and the Indiana Pacers basketball team happened to be staying in the same hotel as us (didn't know why...no Las Vegas basketball team). Anyway, as they were leaving boarding their bus, my youngest brother who was probably 6-7 at the time, had a basketball that he wanted signed. Reggie Miller was walking with Mark Jackson, and my brother walked alongside the two asking for Reggie to sign his ball. R. Miller did not even glance over in my brothers direction. My brother continued asking, and the two ball players acted like he wasn't even there or they couldn't hear him. It was absolutely disgusting to have to witness that. Sorry if this post doesn't fit with the thread.

Fits alright by me; if I see those dudes they're gonna get it. :madfire:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Nice:
Sundstrom - Didnt mind that I went to his apartment with a friend for an autograph (lived near my grandmother so we found out he was there)..invited us in and talked for a bit.

Graves - Very nice guy..cant say enough nice things about him

Lindros - Best player ive met, took the time out of his charity thing at MSG to talk to everyone...not a hello..but a few minute conversation. Laughed, cracked jokes..great guy.

Sandy McCarthy - Nice guy as well..got his autograph

Jagr - I dont know what people are talking about here...met him a few months ago and he was VERY nice, took pictures with everyone, signed everything, the store owner said I couldnt get something signed and Jagr took it from me and signed it anyway. I applaud him for that. :D

Jaysfanatic*

I met Brian Campbell 3 times last summer, and he was wicked nice each time. The first time, I was working at my gas station, and he drives in, just by looking at him, I didn't recognize him, but then he gave me his credit card, and it had CCM on it, and Im thinking who the hell has a CCM credit card, then I look down at the name, and see Brian Campbell, then I was like ohhhh, so I went out, he was driving his mom into London, and talked to him for like 15 minutes, it was a beautiful day outside, and he was my only customer at the time. Then about a few weeks later, Im at Don Van Massenhoven's celebrity softball game, and Doug Gilmour, Joe Thornton, a whole bunch of NHLers are there as well, I didn't talk to all of em, but I got a pic with Doug, and it was on the 26th of June, a day after his, and we share the same b-day, and Im talking to him, he was in a hurry to sign autographs for others, so I just wished him happy b-day, and let him go on his merry way, I walk to the dugout, and I see Brian sitting there, god knows what he's thinkin' about, and Im like, hey, Brian! He looks up, and says, hey, you're that kid from the gas station, I remember you! I was like can you get JT and the others to sign my Team Canada hat? They wouldn't do it, cause they were busy, but he said if I wanted he'd sign it and I said hell yeah! That day Joe really had something up his ass, he wouldn't sign a hockey card my brother had, so some old lady grabs the card from my brothers hand, I was thinkin' what the hell is she doing??? She then goes to the fence and yells at the dugout, "HEY, give this to Joe, this kid has been waiting a long time to get this autograph, and damn it, he's going to sign it!" Turns out that was Joe's mom :lol ! Then the third time I met Campbell, it was on Canada day, and Im at the gym, I see a red-head guy, and I was like, wait a minute, that looks like Brian, but why wouldn't he go to the good life in Strathroy? So I go upto him, and Im like, dude are you stalking me or what? He started laughing, turns out, my mom knows his mom, and he's going to give us tickets whenever I wanted them, which was really cool!

A few other people I've met are Jeff Carter, Dale Hunter and Justin Williams, they were all super nice, Jeff Hackett was an *******, Hunter told me I was brave wearing a Devils jersey among Flyers fans lol.

I still to this day can't figure out what was wrong with Joe Thornton that day last year, because in '00 when I met him he was really nice as well, we were at East Side Marios in London waiting for a table, and he walks by our car, and Im like, I know this guy from somewhere, then it hit me as he was leaving with his black navigator, and I jump outta my car and infront of his as he's pulling out, he rolls down the window, and Im like, "Hey, you're Joe Thornton!" (The commercials stole that from me!) we talked for 10 minutes, his gf was getting super board, but I didn't care what she was, cause I was enjoying staring at her :lol and he sees me wearing my Devils stanley cup champs hat from that year, he looks up and says, nice hat, I took it off immediately lol. Anyways, that's my long story post.

Oh, and Jagr hates me, because two years ago, he played an exhibition in London, and I was behind the bench yelling "11 million" at him, because of his albatross contract, everytime he'd screw up, I'd start chanting it, he turned around a few times and told me to shut the hell up, but I wouldn't. Then we go outside, we're getting autographs, and he comes out, looks at me, and gives me the finger, cause I was chanting 11 million to him again, it was funnnnnny!

pipes31

Mar 2, 2005
Guess
Well...in all fairness, a lot guys have routines, and do not want to break them or be disturbed, so I don't think not signing before a game is so bad. And, if a person is having a private discussion...ie. with the trainer, then the last thing they want to do is mingle and take pictures with fans. I think it's about timing, and a lot of fans fail to pick up on that.
Fleury is a known jerk, won't do volunteer work with charity groups and/or young terminally ill kids...
Lindros is a pig.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Roberto Luongo is a super nice guy... But then again, he bought me a drink... and anyone who buys me a drink is by default a nice guy, IMO :thumbu:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
mcphee said:
I urinated beside Yvon Lambert in a Mtl. hotel bar a few years back. We didn't shake hands though. Nice guy, very genuine, talked hockey like a fan. We both washed our hands and went our separate ways. Don't ask the obvious question.

Now that I read this I guess I wont be too ashamed to tell my story. Its funny. Back in Dec. 2002 I was working at Wal-Mart and Don Cherry came and did an autograph session. I remember seeing him walk back into the employees lounge and the first thing I did was put my hand out and say "Hi Donald!" I dont know why I said Donald though.

Anyways he went into the employee's mens bathroom and his security didnt follow him (which one was his son) so I decided this would be a good chance to talk to him. I opened up the door and no one was in there except Don at the urinal. He half turned around and saw me then when he finished I talked to him for 2 minutes or so.

I told him my I loved Rock Em Sock Em #6 the best and he says "Oh yeah? I like #5." I told him that in his new video he should put an old "hit" like he did in #4 when Orr got hit by Quinn. He took the suggestion to heart I think. He never put that "hit" in one of his videos but in his next Coaches Corner segment guess what hit he showed just for old time's sake? Yeap that's right the Quinn on Orr hit. I almost fell off my chair! I couldnt believe I influenced Don Cherry!

Yeah go ahead make fun of me, even I htink its funny and borderline psychotic that I followed him into the bathroom (my co-workers never let me forget it) but it gave me a chance to tlak to a guy I've wanted to talk to all my life. True story every word of it.

Oh and if you ever see Don, ask him if he remembers a big guy in a Maple Leafs jersey following him into a bathroom in Wal-Mart. He has to remember that one, lol!

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
The best guy I met was Janne Niinimaa. I saw him one day, and kept cracking jokes with him. I told him he looked good on McCarty's goal in the 97 Cup Finals, and he was really cool about it. George Laraque was a cool guy too. I'm like, "So Georges, I hear you are a fighter. You wanna go?" Georges is like, "Sure, take your glasses off." And then Niinimaa offers to hold them... haha what jokers.

I went to an Oilers dinner for Junior Achievement, and all the Oilers were there. Everyone there was awesome. They treated me like I was actually on their level somehow. I saw Doug Weight and just started talking with him. And then Billy Guerin comes by and starts talking too. They were cracking jokes and being all friendly. Then Bob Essensa comes in the scrum, and its on, more Oilers move it. Steve Passmore, Dean McAmmond, Boris Mironov (who was drunk from the cocktails, but hilarious and friendly) were all there.

I saw Raffi Torres, Adam Oates, Jarret Stoll, Isbister, Marty Reasoner and Marc Andre Bergeron at a club last year. They were all great too. Torres was the best, and we talked about his time in Brampton and on the World Junior team. Reasoner was cool too, cept he looked pretty depressed. All the Oilers were in their suits, while Reasoner was in regular guy clothes. So while all the girls surrounded the Oilers in the suit, Reasoner had a frown on his face. I got a chance to talk to him and he was a great guy.

I had a chance to met Ovechkin at the World Cup last summer in Minnesota. I got a picture with him. He was friendly (but kept saying that he was in a rush). Jeremy Roenick, Scott Gomez and Ty Conklin were all good too.

Jaysfanatic*

Man, Georges is one of my favorite NHLers, even though I haven't met him, I did email him through the edmonton oilers website, and yes, it is his hotmail address, and he replied saying thanks and all that, then he offered to send me an autograph, 3 days later it was in the mail, personally signed, sent out to me, it was wicked, I have it laminated and framed in my room. Then last year, when he was subject to trade rumors, and was ridden by poor play according to the media, I sent him an encouragement email, and he sent back a huge reply, if some of you guys get a chance, definitely e-mail Georges, he will reply!

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
The way that a lot of 'fans' meet players, accosting them in parking lots, demanding autographs, interrupting personal conversations, leads me to believe that players should have a thread for biggest idiot fans that have approached them.

Have normal conversations at urinals, like me. I've also urinated beside Bob Gainey and Murray Wilson.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
mcphee said:
The way that a lot of 'fans' meet players, accosting them in parking lots, demanding autographs, interrupting personal conversations, leads me to believe that players should have a thread for biggest idiot fans that have approached them.

Have normal conversations at urinals, like me. I've also urinated beside Bob Gainey and Murray Wilson.
There are alot of great stories in this thread but no one has bonding experiences with players like mcphee.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I meet Todd White he was a very very nice guy. Jacques Martin was also nice with the kids. Stephen Weiss was also a good guy. Patrick Lalime was also great with the kids at the hockey school. I also meet Eric Desjardin and he unleashed a slap shot on me because I wanted to see if I could stop it. I did stop it and got his autogrpahed stick.

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I forgot about Adam Graves...another super guy. Put down his christmas shopping bags coming out of MLG to sign autographs...he had like 5 bags so he could have simply said, sorry guys, no free hands...

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
Sean O'Donnell is pretty cool. Met him through a friend of mine that is his buddy. Helped him and his wife move into their first pad in Boston. Hung out again with in Vegas last summer. Down to earth kind of guy.

canadahockeygirl*

acr said:
I met Ray Bourque a couple years ago at one of his son's high school games, and he seemed to be in a bad modd, he was trying to get all the autographs done as quickly as possible and shove everyone aside.
Most likely because he was coaching at Cushing (not just a spectator) and at every rink he went to during those few seasons, it was the same thing. I used to coach at Lawrence (which is also my alma mater) and one day Ray almost ran me over in his red BMW since he was trying to get out of there so damn fast.

I'll do it by the team they were on when I saw them and just do the positives/negatives.

Boston-
Cool guys:
Brian Rolston- absolutely awesome, met him at training camp and he'd always stop and talk with me from that point on
Martin Lapointe
Patrice Bergeron- even now when I see him, he's very willing to stop and chat or sign a few things
Joe Thornton- saw my little cousin ogling him and stopped to chat with her and sign a few things
PJ Stock- just an all-around great guy, especially with kids.

*******s:
Steve Shields- just an ass with a head that's too big for his ability
Andy Hilbert- another big-egoed ass

Colorado-
good guys:
Adam Deadmarsh- damn cool guy
Peter Forsberg- more than willing to stop and chat
Chris Drury- nice guy, very stuck on himself.

*******s:
Patrick Roy- the only man to ever get me pissed to the point where I wanted to kick him in the junk.

NY Rangers:
most of the team was pretty good and would stop and chat. I saw some of the guys while I was walking to my train and stopped to talk.

*******s:
Dan Blackburn. The only one I can remember, but I wanted to kill him because he was such a *******. I ended up telling him off because a friend I met up with wanted his autograph and he kept signing on another player in the photo and he was being a ******** about it, but he played fairly well that night.

LA Kings/Manchester Monarchs
Again, most of the guys were awesome. My favorites were Joe Rullier, Kip Brennan, and Yanick Lehoux. This season, I've added on a few more-- Garon (signed me an 8x10 that said "Theo Sucks") and Milam.

Random players:
Rick DiPietro- biggest ******* I've ever met, outside of Patrick Roy.
Eric Staal- *****.

I'm sure I'll come up with a few more later.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Aki Fan said:
Sean O'Donnell is pretty cool. Met him through a friend of mine that is his buddy. Helped him and his wife move into their first pad in Boston. Hung out again with in Vegas last summer. Down to earth kind of guy.
Your not going to drive him to the airport are you??

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Here on the Island:

Yashin - showed up for an adult clinic, which included 3 or 4 squirts, and was just the nicest guy. He stayed and answered questions from the adults, autographs for the kids. don't believe the hype.

Parrish- super nice guy

Nystrom - I've seen this guy shake hands and sign stuff from one end of the collesium to the other.

Webb - just what you would expect.

JFPIV

May 18, 2002
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
canadahockeygirl said:
Most likely because he was coaching at Cushing (not just a spectator) and at every rink he went to during those few seasons, it was the same thing. I used to coach at Lawrence (which is also my alma mater) and one day Ray almost ran me over in his red BMW since he was trying to get out of there so damn fast.

I'll do it by the team they were on when I saw them and just do the positives/negatives.

Boston-
Cool guys:
Brian Rolston- absolutely awesome, met him at training camp and he'd always stop and talk with me from that point on
Martin Lapointe
Patrice Bergeron- even now when I see him, he's very willing to stop and chat or sign a few things
Joe Thornton- saw my little cousin ogling him and stopped to chat with her and sign a few things
PJ Stock- just an all-around great guy, especially with kids.

*******s:
Steve Shields- just an ass with a head that's too big for his ability
Andy Hilbert- another big-egoed ass

Colorado-
good guys:
Adam Deadmarsh- damn cool guy
Peter Forsberg- more than willing to stop and chat
Chris Drury- nice guy, very stuck on himself.

*******s:
Patrick Roy- the only man to ever get me pissed to the point where I wanted to kick him in the junk.

NY Rangers:
most of the team was pretty good and would stop and chat. I saw some of the guys while I was walking to my train and stopped to talk.

*******s:
Dan Blackburn. The only one I can remember, but I wanted to kill him because he was such a *******. I ended up telling him off because a friend I met up with wanted his autograph and he kept signing on another player in the photo and he was being a ******** about it, but he played fairly well that night.

LA Kings/Manchester Monarchs
Again, most of the guys were awesome. My favorites were Joe Rullier, Kip Brennan, and Yanick Lehoux. This season, I've added on a few more-- Garon (signed me an 8x10 that said "Theo Sucks") and Milam.

Random players:
Eric Staal- *****.

I'm sure I'll come up with a few more later.

Maybe you've just got a problem with goaltenders?

Playmaker

Jan 8, 2004
Sweden
www.the-playmaker.net
Since I'm in Sweden, I haven't met a lot of NHL'ers.

I've met Mikael and Niklas Andersson, Patrik Carnback, Henrik Lundqvist and the others a couple of times, and performed at the Frolunda Indians christmas party in 2004 (I work as a comedian).

But the nicest guy I've ever met is definitely Pat Jablonski (played for Montreal, Tampa and Carolina, I believe). He was with the Frolunda Indians in 2000-2001, and I used to hang out at the practice rink whenever I could. Jablonski was always kind, and until he got to know my real name, he called me "buddy" every chance he got. :)

One time, we had lunch together. We had pasta, and I think we talked for an hour or two. We talked about his career, and he asked me some personal questions, and there was a lot of talk about the NHL, of course.

My favourite player has always been Patrick Roy, and we started talking about how he came to leave Montreal. Pat was the substitue goaltender in Roy's last game with the Canadiens, so I got the inside scoop on that story. :handclap:

He was one of the classiest and nicest guys I've ever met, and I was very sad when he didn't get a new contract with the team (though Lundqvist has worked out decently as well).

Badger Bob

Pat Lafontaine is at the top of the list of class acts. He appeared at a Barnes & Noble for a book signing. The wait was a couple of hours, but worth the wait. After telling him that his work with USA Hockey Foundation inspired me to contribute to the charity, he immediately stood up and shook my head. Wait a grip too!

Guy Lafleur was supposed to appear at an Alumi game at HSBC, but didn't make. Less than a year later, he was leaving from a signing near Pearson Airport. I asked him why he didn't make it down to Buffalo that time. He said he'd been caught in a snowstorm in Burlington, so that held him up. We chatted for a few moments, and I figured to just let him go on his way (this was Guy Lafleur after all), he looked back to ask more questions from me. A very memorable encounter.

Jean Beliveau is the distinguished gentleman he was always considered. He carries himself with dignity, seems genuinely humbled by his accomplishments and the history of the game and his place in it. For all the talk about Gretzky, this man was the game's finest ambassador. It always puzzled me why Maurice Richard was more lionized.

Scotty Bowman appeared at a car show, in the parking lot of a former employer of mine. He was extremely thoughtful in his replies to questions, and accomodated all autograph requestions. He signed his Detroit Red Wings - Head Coach business cards.

We never met, but it was an interesting moment, worth sharing. My seats were situated between the Habs and Sabres benches at HSBC. For some reason, Rob Ray looked directly at me. I pointed at P.J. Stock, and Ray shook his head, and had this look of "no way".

M V Pete

Jul 1, 2003
New Jersey
Summer of 2003 a friend (Rangers fan) and I (Devils fan) had gone and seen X2 at a midtown movie theater in NYC. As we left the theater, we're walking down towards Penn St and there's this guy walking alongside us. My friend recognized him before me and goes "Bobby, how's it going?" That's when it hit me, it was Bobby Holik. We shook his hand and walked along with him, talking hockey and stuff. It was funny, I was wearing the Stanley Cup Champs hat and he noticed saying "Nice hat" I told him he could've had one too. He laughed and told my friend he'd get him one soon. I laughed. He then hinted that he was going to meet with Larry Robinson and that he was going to be their next coach. My friend was thrilled and I was bummed. Luckily, he was wrong. We then split and that was it. Seemed like a really nice guy. Very friendly. We didn't ask him for an autograph but I'm sure he would have done it if we did. But overall, a pretty cool guy. On a side note, he was defintiely solid but didn't seem that huge. Def looked strong as hell though.

mach 1

Dec 6, 2004
rocky thompson is a great guy and super with the kids.a few friends of mine played a round of golf with martin st.louis and jeff cowan when they where in saint john they st.louis was a great guy and that cowan was a real goof.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Badger Bob said:
Jean Beliveau is the distinguished gentleman he was always considered. He carries himself with dignity, seems genuinely humbled by his accomplishments and the history of the game and his place in it. For all the talk about Gretzky, this man was the game's finest ambassador. It always puzzled me why Maurice Richard was more lionized.

QUOTE]

Bob, I don't think he's any less popular. Richard just represented something different to the population of Quebec. A francophone could give you a more heartfelt description, but Richard sort of was a symbol of someone who would stand up to anything and do things his way and if you didn't like it....... He became a symbol of sociological change in Quebec. I'm generalizing and I'm not qualified to be more detailled and I'd bore you if I did. Beliveau may be the most respected indivual I can think of in sports. I can't think of anyone who carries themselves with his class and dignity. I hear local sportscasters interview him get giddy and almost unprofessional afterwards because of the presence of the guy. Times change and athletes are magnified too much, so I guess if he came along today he might be perceived differently. I'm not a guy into hero worship or holding athletes up as role models to my kids, but Beliveau is just in a class apart. If you're young and don't know much about him, I suggest you learn.

IkeaMonkey*

canadahockeygirl said:

I met DiPietro on a number of occasions and he was a nice guy to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad