Speculation: Players you could see on the block this season

Batrous

May 4, 2016
The leafs have tried for the last 2 years to move Bozak. He is not under the table if he gets moved.

Well to be fair they didn't exactly have depth in the centre ice area in terms of top 2 centres. They improved that area with the picking of Matthews.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
If Boston flounders by mid season again, Chara

He has 2 years remaining and his cap hit drops to 4 mil in his final year

I could see a team taking him on for a playoff run this year and deal with whatever decline happens in his final year at a reduced cap hit

Boston would be smart to move him too because they could get more assets to re-tool because if they are struggling by mid season this year, a one year older Chara isnt exactly going to be aiding in turning that team around, but shedding his contract, increasing the team speed (by losing his sluggish skating), and adding more assets will give Boston more free agency money plus whatever they get in trade

Problem is Boston needs to be really honest with themselves about what they can accomplish in the next 2 years and realize keeping Chara is probably not in their best interest. But if Boston is still in the playoff hunt by TDL time, they would never move him. Some teams would rather sneak into the playoffs with no real cup shot as opposed to planning to be a cup contender in a few years and sacrificing the now

Boston is in a unique situation in that the last 2 years they have been close to making the playoff but just missing out. They have a core that is aging and although they did acquire a couple of promising younger players in the last couple of draft it will probably be some time before those players are nhl ready. I could see the Bruins moving Chara however the question is what type of role could an aged Chara play on a cup contender and would it be of greater benefit for the Bruins to move Chara for picks or prospects or would it make more sense to keep him until he is done and allow him to act as a mentor to some of Boston's promising young D men prospects.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Brad Marchand, I think Boston is on the way down, I think Pleks could be on the block in Montrealnand Maybe Turris in Ottawa if those teams don't perform to expectations,

Mad Brills*

Well to be fair they didn't exactly have depth in the centre ice area in terms of top 2 centres. They improved that area with the picking of Matthews.

when he has 1 1/4 years left on his deal, that's when he's a decent be to move.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Who are some under the radar names that could be traded between now at the trade deadline?

For example, I think the Canucks could trade Virtanen for a haul.

Van fans value Virtanen more than the rest of the league does.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Leafs may be willing to move a couple young forwards if a bunch of them progress well this season causing a logjam.

Talking about Kapanen, Leivo (if he's not a waiver claim), Hyman, Soshnikov, Brown, Leipsic and Lindberg.

If Leivo passes through waivers without being claimed then how does he possibly bring any sort of return in any trade?

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
If Leivo passes through waivers without being claimed then how does he possibly bring any sort of return in any trade?

If he makes the NHL roster and has a good season, he'd have some trade value. My post was premised on those players having good seasons.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
If the Avs start 2-8, everyone will be on the trade block and this place will be unbearable.

It honesty wouldn't surprise me to see the avs perform that poorly to start the season. The avalanche will probably take a couple of years to recover from not focusing on development enough down at the AHL level and that's if they did a good enough job in the identifying talent at the draft and via free agency area.

Aside from Barrie I don't think the Avs have drafted a d man who could challenge for a roster spot within the last 6 or 7 drafts and that is potentially a problem given how important it is for good nhl teams to have depth in the prospect and at the nhl level.

I mean they pick Connor Bleakley 23rd overall 2 drafts ago when players like Mccann and Pastrnak were still on the board and all that got the avs was a 2nd round pick that with other assets was used to get Boedker.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It honesty wouldn't surprise me to see the avs perform that poorly to start the season. The avalanche will probably take a couple of years to recover from not focusing on development enough down at the AHL level and that's if they did a good enough job in the identifying talent at the draft and via free agency area.

Aside from Barrie I don't think the Avs have drafted a d man who could challenge for a roster spot within the last 6 or 7 drafts and that is potentially a problem given how important it is for good nhl teams to have depth in the prospect and at the nhl level.

I mean they pick Connor Bleakley 23rd overall 2 drafts ago when players like Mccann and Pastrnak were still on the board and all that got the avs was a 2nd round pick that with other assets was used to get Boedker.

It wouldn't surprise me either. But I also wouldn't be surprised if they went 8-2. It's just that kind of team right now.

Bigras is the only defender we've drafted in that range that will be an NHLer. Meloche has the potential but it's way too early to tell.

Since 09, I don't think the Avs have done all that bad drafting in rounds one and two. Even removing top 3 picks, the Avs have drafted ROR, Barrie, Pickard, Bigras, and Rantanen that will all be in the NHL next year. Rounds 3-7 have been rough. I can't think of a single guy in the NHL from there, even in a depth role. That hurts.

It definitely does suck we missed hard on Siemens, Hishon, and Bleackley, but none of those guys were drafted in can't miss spots. Plenty of busts come from that range. I doubt the Avs have done worse than anyone else in that regard.

goblix

May 11, 2013
:nucks

Chris Tanev - not a Benning guy
Ryan Miller - rumouredly unhappy with playing for a basement team
Sbisa - Benning tried to deal him for cap space this summer, he'll probably try again when he realizes Sbisa still sucks this year

I'm expecting something stupid like Evander Kane for Chris Tanev

lol guy named KeninsFan and has a tag of "Fire Benning already" surprisingly not everything here is blatant hatred

Tanev -- (disagree) Hutton isn't a "Benning" guy does that mean he's going to trade him? nope Tanev not going anywhere unless it's for a disgusting haul

Miller -- (agreed) he'll play because he's a pro... Maybe will get traded at the deadline if Markstrom shows better and Miller desires it to be so.

Sbisa -- (agreed) i don't think he's as useless as most people thing he is... played 41 games last year and was a +5 (3rd on the team). He was a lot better this year that's for sure. That said I think JB will be able to trade Sbisa for more than a cap dump

Also if Larsen = Hall then Sbisa has to equal E. Kane

lolz

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Flyers players I'd have on the trade block this season, before the trade deadline.

LW/C Chris VandeVelde < UFA at seasons end
C/RW Pierre-Édouard Bellemare < UFA at seasons end
RW/LW Matt Read
C Boyd Gordon < UFA at seasons end
D Mark Streit < UFA at seasons end
D Nick Schultz < UFA at seasons end
D Brandon Manning < RFA that's still unsigned
D Andrew MacDonald
G Steve Mason < UFA at seasons end & only if the flyers are way out of playoff contention by the trade deadline. Also could net a decent return if he plays good with confidence.

Brendonhayden

Jan 25, 2016
From the blues well shattenkirk obviously and lethera if he starts off bad. Berglund if blues can get a upgrade for him.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
:wild

Wild fans and brass would probably like to see the following traded

Jason Pomenville - what was the name of the cliff he fell off of?
Mikko Koivu - declining with big contract .... but still the 1C for Wild
Devan Dubnyk - contract too long and too much. Wild need to free up cap room

The following are realistic trade bait.

Mikael Granlund
Jason Zucker
Chris Stewart
Eric Staal
Jonas Brodin
Marco Scandella
Eric Haula

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Wild I'd say two of our D--I think they'd be open as long as the value was in line with how they valued the player.

Depending on how good Tuch and Ek look I could also see Haula, Granlund, Nino, or Coyle being made available.

Aside from the obvious in Pommer. He's had one bad year. Otherwise he's been pretty vital to our stats, so it wouldn't kill us to keep him, either.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
Wpg Jets: Stafford

I'll take flak for this but Armia or Burmistrov names could be floated out there to see what interest is generated. Most on the Jets forum would probably disagree about Armia though and light me on fire for suggesting him.

But yah...Stafford

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Mike Hoffman.

If the Sens can't get a long term deal done, he's given another 1-year contract and the Sens are out of it at the trade deadline I think they have to move him.

RangerRick61

Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Leafs may be willing to move a couple young forwards if a bunch of them progress well this season causing a logjam.

Talking about Kapanen, Leivo (if he's not a waiver claim), Hyman, Soshnikov, Brown, Leipsic and Lindberg.

Not a leafs fan, but I don't think they would trade Hyman or Soshnikov yet. Leipsic and Kapanen on the other hand, i could definitely see them being moved

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Since Hall is gone, I think this may be the season where RNH and Eberle have to step up their games, especially if Drai, Yak, and Pool Party play well. I think this will be the season where we can determine if there really is a culture problem in the locker room, like some people believe it to be.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Wpg Jets: Stafford

I'll take flak for this but Armia or Burmistrov names could be floated out there to see what interest is generated. Most on the Jets forum would probably disagree about Armia though and light me on fire for suggesting him.

But yah...Stafford

I'm fine with any or all 3 of those guys getting moved. Not really sure what we'd get back, though. Maybe midddle round picks we could spend on defense prospects? Suits me fine.

Laine Scheifele Wheeler
Connor Little Ehlers
Lowry Perreault Dano
Matthias Copp Petan
Lemieux, Thorburn, Tanev could all duke it out for a 4th line spot.

cameden

Dec 21, 2006
Brad Marchand, I think Boston is on the way down, I think Pleks could be on the block in Montrealnand Maybe Turris in Ottawa if those teams don't perform to expectations,

I do believe Boston will re-sign Marchand before this season starts, their focus at this time is maximizing Bergeron's window and Brad is handcuffed to his left unless negotiations go haywire (unlikely).

If we're talking Boston forwards I think it's more realistic to mention Krejci or Spooner, particularly for D to take some burden away from an aging Chara (also mentioned in this thread). They are a few years away from a good batch of D prospects making an impact and desperately need some help back there to bridge the gap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad