Players who are surprisingly not from Europe

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
Was surprised when I found out Jaccob Slavin was American, I think the 2 cs in Jaccob threw me off, started reading it like Yakub.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Thus never lived in Germany for any meaningful period of time besides visiting relatives in Augsburg and playing a handful of games in Berlin late in his career during the lockout in 2005. Was going to play for Team Canada at the WJC in 1990 but only at that point it turned out that he wasn't eligible. Soon after he then met the German player Stefan Ustorf in Washington and told him about the situation, after which he was recruited by the Germans.
Received full German citizenship at birth, never applied for any other citizenship and always reffered to himself as German.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Well Denmark is a Scandinavian country, so you're not wrong.

Yes, but what are the odds that his father (born and raised in the US) goes to go the gigantic hockey market that is Denmark and manages to have two sons that play hockey?

I expected full on bork, not half bork.

Reactions: mattihp

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
Occasionally still see people spell John Carlson’s name “Carlsson” implying they think he’s Swedish

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Received full German citizenship at birth, never applied for any other citizenship and always reffered to himself as German.
Which doesn't mean he's from Europe. Besides he did want to play for Canada, just didn't understand his citizenship situation correctly. Germany was never an option up until that point.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Alex Galchenyuk

Anders Lee

I thought Cody Franson was Swedish at one point
Well Anders Lee is from Edina. They are like the French of the Twin Cities area
Zarley Zalapski wins this thread hands down.

Honorable mention to Anders Bjork.
Zarley Zalapski wins every thread hands down
Shame that Milwaukee is now part of Europe.
Yeah but if you can ever get over to Milwaukee, Catalonia it is so worth it. Great museums. Did you know for a while Salvador Dali worked exclusively in the medium of cheese?

I don't know if it counts as I think he was a military brat, but Dany Heatley was born in Germany.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Not an NHL'er, and maybe never will be, but there is a WHL player for the Red Deer Rebels (and formerly Calgary Hitmen) named Matteo Fabrizi. Very European name, but he's from St. Alberta, Alberta.

Reactions: Zenos

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Which doesn't mean he's from Europe. Besides he did want to play for Canada, just didn't understand his citizenship situation correctly. Germany was never an option up until that point.
Him being German makes him European. You could want to be Marsian all you want, but that doesn’t make you one. Playing for Canada was never a option, period.

Besides, he also lived in Denmark before he ever even visited Canada…

Reactions: mattihp

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
There are a lot of players with Northern Europe ancestry who are from Minnesota.

Matt Niskanen
Steve Jensen
Paul Holmgren
Erik Rasmussen
Ryan Lindgren
Chris Dahlquist
Jack Carlson
Mike Lundin

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Most "American" names came from somewhere else first. Lots of them came from Europe.

Right? Do y’all solely associate with Smiths and Roberts? Y’all never had a friend Paul Globinowski or somethin? Again, the first name is more telling. Not always, but if the dude is Mike Tallinder, ok, that dude was likely born in NA. Henrik Tallinder? Better chance he was born in Europe.

Jakob Oettinger

Like that one, woulda never known because that’s not the common US spelling and a lot of NA people would just go by Jake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad