Players who are surprisingly not from Europe

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Olaf Kölzig, no Canadian or US citizenship but still not even born in Europe.
His both parents are 100% German as are majority of his relatives, he just happened to born in South-Africa and moved to Canada as a child.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
His both parents are 100% German as are majority of his relatives, he just happened to born in South-Africa and moved to Canada as a child.
Thus never lived in Germany for any meaningful period of time besides visiting relatives in Augsburg and playing a handful of games in Berlin late in his career during the lockout in 2005. Was going to play for Team Canada at the WJC in 1990 but only at that point it turned out that he wasn't eligible. Soon after he then met the German player Stefan Ustorf in Washington and told him about the situation, after which he was recruited by the Germans.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
This upcoming draft is chocked full of them.

Zeev Buium is expected to go top 5. This entire time I thought he was Latvian or something but he's American.

Cayden Lindstrom (also projected to go top 5) I thought was Swedish because I usually only saw his name as C. Lindstrom.

Terik Parascak also Canadian.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I used to think Stamkos was Finnish or something

OIP.51Lh5ZMDFM9ix15dm6lnWQDHEs
Why does he look like a female you see in a Horror film in this pic? Usually he looks very manly.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
The first names are almost always a giveaway that a player is North American.

Kuemper, Bayreuther, Guenther, Eichel, Eberle, etc. are obviously all German names. But then you see "Darcy, Gavin, Dylan, Jack, and Jordan" - Those just aren't names that Germans, Swiss, or Austrians give their kids.

It's the same with other European countries / languages. Ray Ferraro, Kyle Palmieri, Jason Spezza or John Tavares. Pretty clearly those guys are Canadian or American with names like that. Guys like Fernando Pisani and Milan Lucic where the whole name "looks" European are the exceptions.

Obviously UK/Ireland and France are exceptions. But none of those countries are producing large amounts of pro hockey players.

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014
Rule of thumb: If you can swap someone's first and second names without issue, then they're North American. For example, Mason Jonathan is as likely to be correct as Jonathan Mason. Dakota Joshua doesn't make any more sense than Joshua Dakota. Even more likely if the names are found nowhere else than perhaps a long lost fantasy novel, e.g. your Drudger Clint, Pressler Trambert or Macklin Celebrini, though that has a sprinkle of the old Italian on it.

Last edited:

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Michael Rasmussen should be from Sweeden. Mika Zibanejad should not.

Also, William Nylander sounds totally Swedish, but it turns out that he's just a rich kid from Calgary. I'm assuming that his dad must be an oil exec?

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Michael Rasmussen should be from Sweeden. Mika Zibanejad should not.

Also, William Nylander sounds totally Swedish, but it turns out that he's just a rich kid from Calgary. I'm assuming that his dad must be an oil exec?
Joke right?

Willy is Swedish. His dad Michael played for the Flames at the time of his birth.

Reactions: bh53 and Whaddagoal

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
This upcoming draft is chocked full of them.

Zeev Buium is expected to go top 5. This entire time I thought he was Latvian or something but he's American.

Cayden Lindstrom (also projected to go top 5) I thought was Swedish because I usually only saw his name as C. Lindstrom.

Terik Parascak also Canadian.
Right, the classic Latvian name Zeev Buium. If there's one thing anyone knows about Latvian names, surely it's that every name must end with an -s

Reactions: Chainshot

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
At least as of 20 years ago, Lee was the 39th most common name in the UK.

On the other hand, it was the 22nd most common name in the USA, which has around 5 times the population of the UK.

So, someone named Lee is far more likely to be from the USA than from the UK, and unlikely to be from continental Europe.

All that said, “Anders” is a very Scandinavian sounding name and that’s probably what the person found surprising.
Thanks for the in-depth explanation. East asian was my first thought so I was wondering why it could be considered more european than north american as I would have guessed the east asian population percentage could be pretty similar on one continent or the other. Had no idea it was a common english name!

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad