Players who are kindred spirits but in different sports

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I thought the "Ichiru" thread was a real mind-bender, so I thought of something a little different but also in a mind-bending vein.

Pick a player and compare him/her to another player who you think is in some important way(s) similar but in a different sport.

Here are two examples:

Marat Safin/Pavel Bure (both had flashy skills, huge offensive gifts, could sometimes disappear, and could sometimes dream up impossible plays; listened to their own drummer a lot of the time, too)

Roger Federer/Jean Beliveau
(similar in terms of supreme elegance and monumental success as well as with the great respect with which they are held by fans in their respective sports--ambassadors for their sports)

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I thought the "Ichiru" thread was a real mind-bender, so I thought of something a little different but also in a mind-bending vein.

Pick a player and compare him/her to another player who you think is in some important way(s) similar but in a different sport.

Here are two examples:

Marat Safin/Pavel Bure (both had flashy skills, huge offensive gifts, could sometimes disappear, and could sometimes dream up impossible plays; listened to their own drummer a lot of the time, too)

Roger Federer/Jean Beliveau
(similar in terms of supreme elegance and monumental success as well as with the great respect with which they are held by fans in their respective sports--ambassadors for their sports)

Beliveau and federer is a good one.

Cam Newton and PK subban come to mind for me. People are uncomfortable that they are faces of their their respective sports, but they seem unphased by it and continue to do what they believe in, and continue to be themselves.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Peyton Manning / Tiger Woods

- Both played their sports at such a high level from a mental standpoint and were far ahead of their peers, in this regard.

- They both also changed their sports; Tiger with fitness and nutrition - Peyton with the shotgun offense, pre-snap recognition.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad