Players switching nationalities

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
No demeaning talk about these players here.

I am just curious; which nation switches are most interesting?

I like when some one from a completely different culture laces them up for his/her new country.

Frank Banham is playing for Hungary at age ~40. BUT is a bad example as he is of Hungarian descent.

Brock Radunske is going to play for South Korea. Canadian guy of balkanese descent.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Kevin Lalande for Belarus

Ones like him are my favourites, they get citizenship for that country then almost immediately leave that country and go play somewhere else :laugh:

I bet Italy had a couple of those too for the 2006 olympics in Torino, but mostly of Italian descent ^^

mexicohockey

Sep 18, 2007
DF
Kevin Lalande for Belarus

Ones like him are my favourites, they get citizenship for that country then almost immediately leave that country and go play somewhere else :laugh:

Not a big deal here. Still plays in the same league.
Like somebody from Europe emigrating to Canada, becoming a citizen and then signing in the US

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Huh? No, Kroselj still plays for Slovenia. More like Dekanich, Letang, Murray, Perkovich, Popovic, Katic, Glumac, Naglich and I'm probably missing some others.

Dekanich, Perkovich, Popovic, Katic, Glumac and Naglich.. Sound croatian to me?

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Oh, and by the way, the goalie Stan Reddick was one of the better nation switch stories, as well. He got Slovenian nationality and even played for us in international competition. In addition, he was black, and in that time it was extremely uncommon to see black people even in Ljubljana, let alone other parts of Slovenia. Lastly, he played for the "right" team (Olimpija) rather than its bitter rival (Jesenice).

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
There was talk a few years ago that Spain would try and nationalize Valeri Kharlamov's son who's grandmother is of basque descent .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad