Player willing to pay fine for wearing special event item, team threatened with significant fine

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I get where the league is coming from in this, even if it doesn’t look great. This case is obviously fine. Start getting into special edition Israel or Palestine equipment, it gets hairy. All or nothing.

Reactions: RogerRoger

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I get where the league is coming from in this, even if it doesn’t look great. This case is obviously fine. Start getting into special edition Israel or Palestine equipment, it gets hairy. All or nothing.

Even there (which is about as hot-button a topic as you can get) as long as it's not a call to violence, if a player wants to honour israeli and/or Palestinian victims of the conflict that person may well receive social media blowback, but why should the league care?

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Even there (which is about as hot-button a topic as you can get) as long as it's not a call to violence, if a player wants to honour israeli and/or Palestinian victims of the conflict that person may well receive social media blowback, but why should the league care?

Who decides where that line is? If you allow none of it, you can’t be accused of bias. And as was pointed out, the NHL isn’t making any money off of it. Just kind of a high risk, no reward situation as far as they are concerned.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Who decides where that line is? If you allow none of it, you can’t be accused of bias. And as was pointed out, the NHL isn’t making any money off of it. Just kind of a high risk, no reward situation as far as they are concerned.

Because if you allow none of it then you get the negative media attention the league is getting now - between MAF's helmet and the rainbow stick tape.

Drawing a line can be hard, sure. And you'll run into edge cases where people can legitimately argue whether it should or should not be allowed. But if you allow NOTHING, then you'll get cases that are obviously pure and innocent and the league looks terrible by prohibiting it.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Because if you allow none of it then you get the negative media attention the league is getting now - between MAF's helmet and the rainbow stick tape.

Drawing a line can be hard, sure. And you'll run into edge cases where people can legitimately argue whether it should or should not be allowed. But if you allow NOTHING, then you'll get cases that are obviously pure and innocent and the league looks terrible by prohibiting it.

Does the average Joe that isn't scanning a hockey forum know that MAF isn't allowed to wear a certain mask during warmups? It's definitely a smaller circle than those that would know if he did wear something that pissed people off.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Does the average Joe that isn't scanning a hockey forum know that MAF isn't allowed to wear a certain mask during warmups? It's definitely a smaller circle than those that would know if he did wear something that pissed people off.

Just watch - I bet more people would know about him being refused to be allowed to wear the helmet. Just wait till it gets talked about on HNIC or ESPN.

• Haha
Reactions: zeeto and ssites89

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
This is an absolute disaster for the league and its PR team, and I'm here for it. I don't know who at the NHL thought this was a good idea, but I can't see that person or group having a job for much longer.

Just watch - I bet more people would know about him being refused to be allowed to wear the helmet. Just wait till it gets talked about on HNIC or ESPN.

More like MSNBC, CNN, or Fox News. This ban was viewed by a lot of people as being political in nature, not at all about the sport. So just watch it get picked up by major news networks, especially with the threats against the player and organization because he chose to celebrate Native American Heritage Night with a native-themed mask.

Last edited:

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
A source told ESPN that there isn't any punishment expected for Fleury or the Wild from the NHL for the goalie having worn the Native American Heritage night mask.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
This is an absolute disaster for the league and its PR team, and I'm here for it. I don't know who at the NHL thought this was a good idea, but I can't see that person or group having a job for much longer.

More like MSNBC, CNN, or Fox News. This ban was viewed by a lot of people as being political in nature, not at all about the sport. So just watch it get picked up by major news networks, especially with the threats against the player and organization because he chose to celebrate Native American Heritage Night with a native-themed mask.
With all else going on in the world, I don't think too many people really give much of a shit to be honest

Reactions: zeeto

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022

Oh no negative media attention. Who cares, in fact other sports don't allow it and they dont get negative media attention. Media shaming sports is irrelevant. Play the sport.

There is no pure or innocent. The line is drawn and the players no where it is.

Your hot take is just terrible. It was never a problem in the past to have a line and just play sports.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Walsh is the "least credible" credible source out there. He just wants to stir up controversy and get his name in the media.

Nothing came of this.

Walsh missed his calling as an over the top wrestling manager for WWE.

• Haha
Reactions: Roadrage

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The par for the course is apparently the NHL needlessly making itself the bad guy by threatening fines over innocuous and nice things that no even-tempered and rational person would have an issue with only to just not do anything once they face meaningful and forseeable backlash.

So free PR points for teams and players, but at the cost of a rep hit to thr league brand.

The wizzes that run the NHL aren't very smart.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

I hope that behind the scenes, the NHL, the NHLPA and the Player Inclusion Committee are working toward a clear, concise policy on tribute goalie masks, tape, jerseys, everything you can think of. Originally, when Marc-Andre Fleury submitted in September a request to wear his special mask, it was denied because of the new rules at the time. I completely understand why Fleury felt so strongly he should wear his as time progressed. Travis Dermott used the Pride tape, Sergei Bobrovsky and Philip Grubauer wore their Hockey Fights Cancer masks, as they all should have been allowed to — no questions asked, no penalties even considered.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
"I hope that behind the scenes, the NHL, the NHLPA and the Player Inclusion Committee are working toward a clear, concise policy on tribute goalie masks, tape, jerseys, everything you can think of. Originally, when Marc-Andre Fleury submitted in September a request to wear his special mask, it was denied because of the new rules at the time. I completely understand why Fleury felt so strongly he should wear his as time progressed. Travis Dermott used the Pride tape, Sergei Bobrovsky and Philip Grubauer wore their Hockey Fights Cancer masks, as they all should have been allowed to — no questions asked, no penalties even considered."

So long as the underlying premise is:

"you can do your thing but don't make me also have to do your thing"

then it should be all good.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I get why the NHL has the rules as they wanted to make sure no one was forced into supporting something they didn't want to, but my god this one is ridiculous.

If Fleury wouldn't have submitted that mask and his agent didn't say anything before hand, how many people would've even noticed that the helmet was in support of something? I mean isn't his nickname "flower", looks like there are some flowers on that mask.

The fact that his wife is of Native Heritage brings up even another question. If Fleury himself was part native would be not be allowed to support his heritage on his mask at all times, as I'm pretty sure someone else has supported their heritage at one time or another on their mask.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad