Player Discussion: Tyler Bertuzzi

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I love lil Bert. I think he's going to be a star player in this league and I'm looking at him and Larkin to be the existing pieces on the roster that lead a rebuild.

It is important to note, however, that the last 2 players I jumped on the bandwagon early with were Riley Sheahan and Jakob Kindl....so I may not have the best track record with this type of thing
Ha. It takes a humble man to admit that.

That's why these thread bump "I told you so!" can be so funny. Yeah some people were right about this one but how did they feel about Kindl, Smith, (insert washed out prospect here)? A broken clock is right twice a day.

I didn't really know anything about Bert prior to him playing for the Wings, though I did worry that his being drafted was partly a Holland overly loyal move. He's become a great player on the Wings though. Larkin gets kudos for bringing it every single night but I'd say Bertuzzi is a close second.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
He doesn't seem to carry or hold the puck for long at all, his impact is almost always in his positioning (forecheck, net front, etc.) and he is relentless in getting himself into a useful position and also in utilizing his stick work to whack pucks deep or try to takeaway passing lanes.

I would be interested to see him get a little bit more opportunity offensively (I see he currently has a 60% d-zone start number on the season) because I think he could expand his role even further. More shots would be great, and I would love if he got a little bit nastier and agitating with opponents.

I think if I had to choose I'd say he is my favourite current Red Wing, which is so far from my reaction when he was drafted. He has really grown on me.

I think he is a coach's dream player, always team first mentality with him.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He's beginning to be hated around the boards and I love it. Was waiting for this moment.

I dont think the hatred will last though. He really doesnt play that much of a pest game unless something sets him off. He more just plays hard and will answer the bell when needed. He had a bit of a burr under his saddle against Colorado but Avs fans still hate Detroit so their fans are blowing shit out of proportion.

Bertuzzi is turning into my favourite player though for sure. He'll do anything to win AND has the skill to go along with the will.

Reactions: mantha39

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I dont think the hatred will last though. He really doesnt play that much of a pest game unless something sets him off. He more just plays hard and will answer the bell when needed. He had a bit of a burr under his saddle against Colorado but Avs fans still hate Detroit so their fans are blowing **** out of proportion.

Bertuzzi is turning into my favourite player though for sure. He'll do anything to win AND has the skill to go along with the will.
The reputation will stick if he makes these no-no plays a habit.

Hope he can temper it a little. I love the passion, but you can be passionate and smart.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I dont think the hatred will last though. He really doesnt play that much of a pest game unless something sets him off. He more just plays hard and will answer the bell when needed. He had a bit of a burr under his saddle against Colorado but Avs fans still hate Detroit so their fans are blowing **** out of proportion.

Hope he can temper it a little. I love the passion, but you can be passionate and smart.

Yeah he really doesn't play a dirty game at all. Blew up a bit here recently but it's not like he's throwing headshots. Just an unbelievably gritty kid. The punch was pushing the line tho.

People get butt hurt because of his last name too.

Reactions: Realgud

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

True, but I guess what I'm saying is that he hasnt shown these plays are a habit or that they might become one. He plays a hard game not a dirty one and even in this instance he did just get speared before he did it. Outside of that, he'll maybe fight 5 times a year but its usually sticking up for a teammate, he might dig at the goalie a little but hes not a Marchand or something with ridiculous antics out there. Hes the guy going after Marchand or Kadri (real rats and dirty players) for when they do something dumb

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
True, but I guess what I'm saying is that he hasnt shown these plays are a habit or that they might become one. He plays a hard game not a dirty one and even in this instance he did just get speared before he did it. Outside of that, he'll maybe fight 5 times a year but its usually sticking up for a teammate, he might dig at the goalie a little but hes not a Marchand or something with ridiculous antics out there. Hes the guy going after Marchand or Kadri (real rats and dirty players) for when they do something dumb
I also think the fact the Wings played one of their most physically engaging games against Boston the night before (in which Bertuzzi was the star) was a contributing factor.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Dear Santa,

Please let lil'Bert not get suspended, or at the most get 1 game...I really - REALLY wanna see lil'Bert in action against the Maple Leafs this Thursday...I'm hoping he welcomes back that weiner - err - nice guy William Nylander back to the NHL with a thunderous body check, and be on him like a pitbull on a porkchop throughout the game.

Your pal,
FMichael

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
I would be surprised if he is suspended and no repercussion is handed to Calvert.
Still curious about that hit to the head by Nemeth on Larkin

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
no doubt it was a dirty play. He's gonna get more hate for it than he deserves due to his last name. Hes not a dirty player, more of a pest than anything. I love him.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think he should get suspension only for grubbing the stick

If they are going to start handing out suspensions for grabbing a guy's stick when he's put into the bench area they will be handing out a lot of suspensions. It's common. What's not common is Calvert's reaction.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Taking the glove off before the hit, and then putting it right back on, is what probably what crossed the line for the DoPS.
A punch thrown right after the attempted spear would probably been ignored.

Reactions: Winger98

RoyalDoubleMcCheesie

Aug 31, 2008
I see little bert as a Malbty/Draper type player but with more offensive upside to him. When he wants he can get under the skin of the opposing team works hard and goes to the dirty areas.
How i miss the days of the grind line tho.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
He'll probably get suspended and that's probably the right thing to do. Keep the punching out on the ice. I'd like to see a suspension for Calvert too for the spear, though a lesser one. I really do think that instigated it.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He'll probably get suspended and that's probably the right thing to do. Keep the punching out on the ice. I'd like to see a suspension for Calvert too for the spear, though a lesser one. I really do think that instigated it.

Yeah, if Bert's getting games, I think Calvert should, too. He won't, though. Reminds me of when Tkachuk on Calgary took that jab at one of our guys starting to walk down the locker room and got nothing after causing a whole crap storm to flare up. The NHL has a weird way of tacitly encouraging this crap by only penalizing the guys who get pushed over the edge by it. And it's not like getting purposefully smacked by a stick while sitting on the bench is a normal occurrence.

Reactions: NEWing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad