Player Discussion: Prospects Off Season ... including Gauthier

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Damn why didn't he have a bad game, now some posters won't be able to post for a couple days about him ....

Nice to see he's doing okay.

In the OHL series Cole Cassels was the 1st. star of the game.

In the WHL they didn't bother with recording stars of the game? Draisaitl had the winner, but Kelowna just walked over. Draft eligible Merkley also scored.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Nice to see Rim give Rem some trouble - Gauthier's goal is a just reward for his work ethic and reliability in playing a complete game.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Nice to see Rim give Rem some trouble - Gauthier's goal is a just reward for his work ethic and reliability in playing a complete game.

You know it wouldn't be a huge shock to see him with the Leafs next year.

He's 20, not 18, he's got 3 years of playing at 6'5", and now at 215+ lbs.

He was drafted for need, and that need has not diminished, and they're in a rebuild.

Now if this was 2 years ago, no way you bring in a just drafted 18 year old, but this is different.

Yes, you develop your prospects, but he's been developing as a shutdown player since he entered the Q, and many times you need to train your prospects to play defense, therefore their time in the AHL is to learn those skills. Example, Kadri and the turnover machine at the blueline, learning how to take a face-off, how to play in your own zone. Gauthier needs none of that training.

It just might be a waste to put him with the Marlies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Gauthiers goal was a result of a great zone entry and he was able to make a really good pass to Clapperton in the circle. Gauthier was then able to jump on the rebound to score the GWG.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

He was drafted for need, and that need has not diminished, and they're in a rebuild.

Now if this was 2 years ago, no way you bring in a just drafted 18 year old, but this is different.

Yes, you develop your prospects, but he's been developing as a shutdown player since he entered the Q, and many times you need to train your prospects to play defense, therefore their time in the AHL is to learn those skills.

Puzzles has done nothing to suggest he will not develop. Peeps are concerned that he fumbled that nice set-up at WJC and hasn't put up huge point totals but some players mature offensively at different levels. He will learn some other puck skills training with the Leafs new staff this summer.

You are bang-on - that need for a 200 foot centre has not diminished - it has increased - between Carrick and Gauthier we have 2 decent players to potentially fill-in those roles.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Gauthiers goal was a result of a great zone entry and he was able to make a really good pass to Clapperton in the circle. Gauthier was then able to jump on the rebound to score the GWG.

Did you stream the game? nice detail on the goal - thanks.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown

Yes, you develop your prospects, but he's been developing as a shutdown player since he entered the Q, and many times you need to train your prospects to play defense, therefore their time in the AHL is to learn those skills. Example, Kadri and the turnover machine at the blueline, learning how to take a face-off, how to play in your own zone. Gauthier needs none of that training.

I have always thought that it was possible he skips AHL and starts next season on the 4th line, because he's a guy who won't get torched on the ice and can probably bring positive value. But that was before the team imploded as mightily as it did this season. I can still certainly see it as a possibility, but I don't think it makes sense to bring any prospect into this mess with no pro experience and hope/pray it doesn't hurt their development.

With the Marlies, he'd be given a chance at an offensive role, probably put beside a guy like Brown or Leipsic, and hoppefully develop his offensive game a bit, I just can't see that if he's on the Leafs.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

they could always put him between Brown and Leipsic and see if we cant get his offence upgraded ...all players have something they can work on in the minors.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I'd probably just put him in the AHL for one year just so we can make sure he is ready. Maybe even just half a year. But I wouldn't start him right away in the NHL, even if he is a physical beast. I don't expect him to just be able to transition from a boy's league to the top men's league in one year.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'd like to see Gauthier on the Leafs next year. Something of interest in what will be another tough year to watch.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd like to see Gauthier on the Leafs next year. Something of interest in what will be another tough year to watch.

I think the plan is to give him additional development time with the Marlies instead of limiting his minutes and just utilizing his strengths right away.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Damn why didn't he have a bad game, now some posters won't be able to post for a couple days about him ....

Never underestimate Hf posters. His skating is still awkward. Even though he is fast, he looks slow...so he must be slow!! And...and his name is Gauthier...so he is not Mantha...trade him now!

:sarcasm:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think the plan is to give him additional development time with the Marlies instead of limiting his minutes and just utilizing his strengths right away.

My plans are always based on selfish interest. I suspect you're right and they will place him on the Marlies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Never underestimate Hf posters. His skating is still awkward. Even though he is fast, he looks slow...so he must be slow!! And...and his name is Gauthier...so he is not Mantha...trade him now!

:sarcasm:

That reminds me of Strome :laugh:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Has the Toronto sports scene pickings gotten so slim that the 2nd goal in 17 QMJHL playoff games is a reason to gloat?

xeroy

Mar 31, 2015
Brampton
Hope Marlies can win the cup next year. They'll probably still have most of the newer players there, and with Gauthier they can be great. Just gotta sign a couple of older AHLers like Frattin, Brennan and Bodie.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Has the Toronto sports scene pickings gotten so slim that the 2nd goal in 17 QMJHL playoff games is a reason to gloat?
You knew the negative complainers would arrive eventually.

And have you looked at the Toronto sports scene? Raptors are done, Leafs are done, Marlies are done, Jays aren't particularly good, and so....yeah our only prospect still playing hockey is kind of noteworthy.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Gauthier still needs time. He needs some time to improve his offense so he can be a 3rd liner instead of a 4th liner.

All of Brown Leipsic and Nylander have a shot to make the team however, considering how bad the roster is likely to be.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Its never really a waste to preserve a year of RFA status. I am still annoyed they couldn't keep it in their pants with Rielly. Proper and patient management of these kids will lessen the effect of money they have to retain for a player like Phaneuf. I think Gauthier will still benefit for a year or two in the AHL to get stronger and faster and I would love for him to get a bit more offensive polish before he has to face NHL goaltending. At least one season with a playoff run like this year can only help his confidence. This is going to be a pretty hard year in TO. I think he deserves a better chance to succeed.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Its never really a waste to preserve a year of RFA status. I am still annoyed they couldn't keep it in their pants with Rielly. Proper and patient management of these kids will lessen the effect of money they have to retain for a player like Phaneuf. I think Gauthier will still benefit for a year or two in the AHL to get stronger and faster and I would love for him to get a bit more offensive polish before he has to face NHL goaltending. At least one season with a playoff run like this year can only help his confidence. This is going to be a pretty hard year in TO. I think he deserves a better chance to succeed.

I think with his toolset, and lack of any sort of offensive improvement in the Q, whether he is in the AHL or NHL seems irrelevant to what his future is.

I'm not worried about his RFA status in 7 years, and entry level contract will burn regardless.

If he becomes the Selke winner he'll get his money one way or another.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
at least a full year on the marlies for the goat, I think he translates fast and sees NHL time @21/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad