Player Discussion: Olli Juolevi | III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
i like tkachuk but how much of his stats are being boosted by backlund? backlunds a helluva player.

juolevi has similar #s to drew doughty's draft +1.

I don't think we can properly evaluate who will be a more valuable player at this point.

Worth repeating ad infinitum. Not exaggerating much since Lidstrom didn't play in the NHL until 21, so two more years of OJ development, be it in OHL, Finish league or NHL, may as well be infinity for the average Nuck fan.

It will be like Larsson v Hall. Guessing whichever team has the better record for most of their careers will be said to have drafted the better player. Of course only the Nucks can lose given that particular draft ordering, just as only the Flames can lose if ever Horvat > Monahan.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I'm confused and what exactly gives anyone the opinion Juolevi will be a top 2 defenseman in the NHL. Hell, he's barely that in the CHL.

Not sure how a weak, skinny, passive, non physical, non offensive, average skater who's easily pushed around and out muscled can be projected at this point to be one of the best defnseman in the NHL. A top 1-2 defenseman is in the likes of EK, Burns, Weber, Doughty, Subban, Keith etc etc. Those are top defenseman, so far OJ is a long way from that.

Yeah he sees the ice well and makes good passes, that doesn't make you a top NHL defenseman.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
i dont think people would be as mad with this pick if benning took ehlers/nylander in 2014.

but losing out on two potential 1st line players in 2 years is a tough pill to swallow in a rebuild.

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
I can understand Canuck fans defending Juolevi, but do you really need to try to bring down Tkachuk? He is having a tremendous year as a 19 year old and looks to be an absolute beast in the very near future.

Knowing what we do today, most re-drafts would probably have Tkachuk at #3. Juolevi might end up being a fine 2nd pairing Dman, but from what I've seen from Tkachuk he looks like a skilled + nasty top line winger.

I hate the Flames, but from a player evaluation standpoint Tkachuk looks amazing.

:help:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Come on buddy, im trying to be polite - and I apologize for sounding harsh previously-but you are basing this on your projection. Ill trust guys like Button, Benning, and everyone else that had him ranked so high before I take your word.

Trusting Benning? :lol:

If you're going to trust Button then that's fine. He had Tkachuk ahead of Juolevi.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Well he *was* a 5th overall pick. The expectation is for a pretty good player to begin with. What if the Leafs had passed on Matthews and drafted Clayton Keller instead? He's ranked #1 on that list and gonna be a good player according to scouts. Does that mean passing on an even better player isn't stupid?

Juolevi is a high pick in a strong draft. Getting a #3-4 Dman with no real physical or offensive game is disappointing if that comes to pass. I mean it'd be awesome if he was a 2nd round pick but he wasn't and we passed on other players who would also be excellent prospects for us too.

Agree with you here. I don't think Juolevi is in anyway a "bad" prospect. But I think he lacks the franchise/elite upside this organization so desperately needs AND there were still players available on the board that many (scouts, fans, stats guys, etc) felt do have that potential.

Even if he turns out to be a good-very good player, we need to be swinging for the fences on every pick. We just don't have the talent coming up.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Come on buddy, im trying to be polite - and I apologize for sounding harsh previously-but you are basing this on your projection. Ill trust guys like Button, Benning, and everyone else that had him ranked so high before I take your word.

It's not my projection, I'm saying IF that's what he becomes then it's disappointing. And it's not clear that he's trending to a top 2 guy at all. Being ranked #18 on some list barely a year out from his draft isn't exactly impressive. Corey Pronman had Virtanen ranked in the 20's after his draft and we've see how well that worked out.

My point is that as a high pick - #5 - the goal should be to get one of the best players available in the entire draft, not just a *good* player. Using the list YOU provided it shows 7 different players from Juolevi's draft that we passed on that are ranked higher than him. Once you factor Tkachuk and Chychrun into that last (in NHL so not eligible) that's 9 players who Button thinks are trending better than Juolevi. That's not terribly encouraging. Yes Juolevi isn't trending to be a bust or anything but it looks like we could have done better as well. That's what is disappointing.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011

lol why do you and every 2017 account sound the same and make ridiculous comments like these?

I didn't mind the pick at the same, like it a lot less now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad