Player Discussion Player Discussion Boo Nieves

Are you positive about Boo Nieves future to achieve and compete in NHL this 2017/18 season?

• Yes

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 76.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Boo looks like a solid 4th line player to me. Not just here, but even on a good team. Fast, strong, reasonable skill, versatile, good teammate. I think he'd be capable of playing most places. That he's taken longer than average to make it doesn't make him less of a player now.

I don't understand why people don't like him much. He seems to be a very effective 4th line center. These guys are not 'dime a dozen,' especially when they came up through your system. The Rangers should really consider locking him up to 2-3 years at a fair price (something like 1-1.5 mil I'd be fine with).

We have a f***ing D-Man playing on the 4th line right now. Good 4th liners cost a premium on the open market. It is wise, when you have the chance, to lock ones up on the cheap that have potential. Boo certainly has proved himself as being a good, bottom 6 asset. I hope we aren't stupid in taking him for granted.

Anyone who thinks good 4th liners come easy, just think how critical our 4th line was when we went to the cup. Having really good 4th liners is important. And if you just cast them aside because you think they are 'dime a dozen' you'll end up with a line in the playoffs similar to Haley-Newbury-Dorsett. Remember how well that worked out.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't understand why people don't like him much. He seems to be a very effective 4th line center. These guys are not 'dime a dozen,' especially when they came up through your system. The Rangers should really consider locking him up to 2-3 years at a fair price (something like 1-1.5 mil I'd be fine with).
That's the point. Most people (myself included) do not see him as such a player. They see him as "meh". A fringe 4th liner. Those players are more than dime a dozen

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That's the point. Most people (myself included) do not see him as such a player. They see him as "meh". A fringe 4th liner. Those players are more than dime a dozen
What makes you think "most people" feel the way you do? Seems pretty even to me.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Ok, I stand corrected. Half the people feel that he is nothing but a fringe 4th liner.
And that's fine. We've had the same debate about whether Stepan was a real number one, whether Zibanejad was a "real" 1C or fringe 1C, Hayes a legitimate 2C or more of a really good 3C, what Vesey or Namestnikov are, is Fast better than a 4RW, etc.

The issue is those guys have much longer track records. Nieves, the team has to decide if he's worth keeping around based on a lot less. Honestly if they can get him on a one-year deal for whatever the buriable max is, or less, I really don't see any downside. You let him try to solidify a spot on the fourth line and if he can't, you waive him and then he's a good player for Hartford.

He's lost a lot of time due to the concussions. Probably a year total since turning pro. That's always going to be a concern with him. But again if you get him for cheap, I don't see a lot of downside. And even if he is a "fringe" 4C/4LW, what's the plan to replace him? There ARE 4th line bargains to find, as I've shown in my criticisms of McLeod, but they're not always easy to find and sign. A lot of times you have to pay a decent little chunk of change for a good 4C, and then given their somewhat limited abilities, even a slight decline generally makes them useless.

So for me, until someone like Fontaine shows he's ready, it's not a bad idea to keep around Boo.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So for me, until someone like Fontaine shows he's ready, it's not a bad idea to keep around Boo.
I guess I really do not care if he gets a shot on a cheap one year contract. If he shows something, great. If he continues to be "meh", he is easily replaceable.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad