Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition was just announced for release on April 11th.

If you own the original game on GOG, you can pre-order for 30% off.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This is great timing. I was thinking of playing the game soon. Somehow, I've never played it, despite having played all of the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games. I think that the title and box art turned me off. Anyways, it should be easier to enjoy without having to fight a 1999 interface and with having all of the text in higher resolution.

Steam page with screenshots: http://store.steampowered.com/app/466300/

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm really not a fan of Beamdog for a variety of reasons. Only upside is it gets some pub out there for classic titles and people might play them who otherwise wouldn't.

$20 price is pretty nutty though for a widescreen mod + some bugfixes that usually break other stuff in equal measure based on past Beamdog EEs. At least with this, like IWD, they aren't including their cringey tacked on content.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
This is great timing. I was thinking of playing the game soon. Somehow, I've never played it, despite having played all of the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games. I think that the title and box art turned me off. Anyways, it should be easier to enjoy without having to fight a 1999 interface and with having all of the text in higher resolution.

Steam page with screenshots: http://store.steampowered.com/app/466300/
Have you ever played Dark Sun: Shattered Lands?

That's my favourite RPG of all-time.

https://www.gog.com/game/dungeons_dragons_dark_sun_series

For some reason, I've never really played the second game - I heard it was a buggy, rushed mess. But the first game was incredible.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

That's my favourite RPG of all-time.

https://www.gog.com/game/dungeons_dragons_dark_sun_series

For some reason, I've never really played the second game - I heard it was a buggy, rushed mess. But the first game was incredible.

I love Shattered Lands!

It was my first ever RPG and what a game back in the day. Glitchy as hell, but great.

I still pick it up once every couple of years and give it a playthrough for nostalgia's sake. I much prefer it to more modern CRPGs because it feels crisp and elegant in its simplicity.

I actually bought Wake of the Ravager on GOG a few months back. Hol-y hell is it ever broken. If you manage to work your way through the bugs it's got a pretty solid game under it, but it lags like crazy and there are game breaking bugs and graphical glitches EVERYWHERE.

Unfortunate, as right as the opening theme song kicked it I was fully invested.

I miss SSI....

More on topic, I'll be keeping an eye on this. It seems like a good opportunity to play a game that everyone praises but I never got around to playing.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Those who haven't played it - it's one of the greatest RPGs ever made IMO.

But be warned, it is very different, even from it's cousins BG and IWD. Not much combat, lotsa reading, strange mechanics.

But the characters and writing are on a different planet.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Has anyone played the original Pool of Radiance? Curious if this game is anything like POR.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Curious if this game is anything like POR.

It's almost as far from it as possible on the RPG spectrum actually outside of action RPGs. Writing heavy, gameplay mechanics light, iso exploration, real time w/pause combat and not turn based.

There's not really a direct comparable to Gold Box games in modern terms anyway IMO. First person exploration/Top down turn based combat is a combo you don't see anymore. There are certainly a lot of combat heavy RPGs out there right now but most of them don't draw direct inspiration from Pools/GoldBox.

I can suggest a few if you like

Torment is a very good game, but it has more in common with the two big late 90's RPGs Baldur's Gate and Fallout than early 90's/late 80's stuff.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
It's almost as far from it as possible on the RPG spectrum actually outside of action RPGs. Writing heavy, gameplay mechanics light, iso exploration, real time w/pause combat and not turn based.

There's not really a direct comparable to Gold Box games in modern terms anyway IMO. First person exploration/Top down turn based combat is a combo you don't see anymore. There are certainly a lot of combat heavy RPGs out there right now but most of them don't draw direct inspiration from Pools/GoldBox.

I can suggest a few if you like

Torment is a very good game, but it has more in common with the two big late 90's RPGs Baldur's Gate and Fallout than early 90's/late 80's stuff.
Glad you know what I'm talking about. POR is still my favourite game of all time. Always felt I missed out on Planescape and Fallout 1 because I was a C64/Amiga person. I'll be happy to get to play them with the remakes.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I hadn't. I was more of an Ultima fan than a D&D fan back in the day. On your recommendation, though, I played Shattered Lands for about an hour just now. It's pretty nice and I can see the appeal. I like how it starts (being a slave and leveling up in the arena until you're strong and equipped enough to escape) and the music is pretty great (after switching to MIDI, of course). I wish that I'd found it in the mid-90s. I think that I would've loved it.

I sure wish that it wouldn't exit the game whenever I save, though. That's awfully annoying. Oh, after a search and finding this page, I learned that it doesn't exit/crash if I use F1 or Tab->Save, so I'll save that way from now on. Perhaps that's an example of the glitchiness in the series that you guys were talking about, haha.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I was a big fan of Pool of Radiance back in the day.

Played all of the Gold Box games (Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Pools of Darkness, Gateway to the Savage Frontier, Treasures of the Savage Frontier, Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn and Dark Queen of Krynn).

POR was probably still the best because of the satisfaction of clearing areas for the Phlan clerk - you actually felt like you were accomplishing something.

They did such a good job of implementing the D&D rule set that was pretty much unequalled until BG and BG2 came along, along with IWD/IWD2. Neverwinter Nights 2 was pretty good as well.

Don't get me started on Hillsfar or Heroes of the Lance.

As for Planescape: Torment, I liked it, but the hype was so massive that I guess I ended up a little underwhelmed in the end.

It's really more of a novel in game format than a game.

The gameplay is quite poor even if the writing, characters and setting are fascinating. Combat is an after-thought and generally unnecessary. You're usually better off avoiding it. There is virtually no equipment (I think they go out of their way to ensure that there are no swords or one sword in the game). I think you're probably better off not associating it with the other isometric RPG D&D games. It's more like a dark Sierra adventure.

I would take BG2 over P:T. Maybe it's the fact that I just played it through again and it's probably not as replayable either. It's a solid story though and quite a unique adventure.

Last edited:

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
by a mildly interesting coincidence I torrented this game about a month or two ago. I'm only to the Trash Warrens by my impression is that this is a game that could never be released in 2017. The demands on the player are significant, including a decent familiarity with D+D rules (which I've never played) and a profound lack of hand-holding. Combat seems to be secondary if not tertiary to the story. You're expected to spend time reading about NPCs down to the bare bone.

and I can't help but see the parallels to KOTOR 2, <mod>

Last edited by a moderator:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
For the remastered games anyone have an opinion on getting the Beamdog version vs buying the originals of GOG and applying mods? Once I'm finally done with Pillars of Eternity I've been thinking of going back through the full Balders Gate series... not really keen on paying the full price of the remastered ones though. Reading reviews opinions seem to be split, some say play the original, some say the remastered are better.

And actually looking at GOG... I don't see the originals listed anymore, just the remastered version? That's kind of bull****...

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'd just play the originals. Doubly so if you're willing to mod.

There are mods that will combine BG1, 2, and ToB into one more seamless experience if that's something that interests you. I tend to try and play closer to original versions myself and only use fix mods. BG1 gets a little weird when it's put on the BG2 engine as well. I do highly recommend quality of life type mods though like ones that increase stack sizes and such for the inventory. The gameplay impact is negligible anyway.

A general tip for widescreen mods, don't use your full res of 1080p or higher. Go with something like 720p. The games aren't really made to be played that far zoomed out since the rendering area doesn't adjust.

It's possible the GOG versions include a few mods by default, sometimes they do so it's worth checking their forums.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
As far as I'm concerned, the only reason to buy the "Enhanced Edition" versions of BG and BG2 is if you want to play with an evil party because they add a few NPCs to allow you to flesh it out a bit better.

As it stands, there aren't enough quality evil NPCs in the game with the right skill sets and usually you have to bring some neutrals along.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I was a big fan of Pool of Radiance back in the day.

Played all of the Gold Box games (Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Pools of Darkness, Gateway to the Savage Frontier, Treasures of the Savage Frontier, Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn and Dark Queen of Krynn).

POR was probably still the best because of the satisfaction of clearing areas for the Phlan clerk - you actually felt like you were accomplishing something.

They did such a good job of implementing the D&D rule set that was pretty much unequalled until BG and BG2 came along, along with IWD/IWD2. Neverwinter Nights 2 was pretty good as well.
POR was definitely the best of the GB games. Not sure if I played them all but definitely most (I remember Hillsfar being different). I still think the combat system translates well today for a lot of fans of turn based combat. Battle Brothers, someone mentioned in the other thread, is a good example.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
POR was definitely the best of the GB games. Not sure if I played them all but definitely most (I remember Hillsfar being different). I still think the combat system translates well today for a lot of fans of turn based combat. Battle Brothers, someone mentioned in the other thread, is a good example.

Yeah, Hillsfar was a bunch of minigames (horse riding, lock picking, arena combat with staffs) and you could raise 1 experience level for one PoR character by beating the game.

It was poor.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I hadn't. I was more of an Ultima fan than a D&D fan back in the day. On your recommendation, though, I played Shattered Lands for about an hour just now. It's pretty nice and I can see the appeal. I like how it starts (being a slave and leveling up in the arena until you're strong and equipped enough to escape) and the music is pretty great (after switching to MIDI, of course). I wish that I'd found it in the mid-90s. I think that I would've loved it.

I sure wish that it wouldn't exit the game whenever I save, though. That's awfully annoying. Oh, after a search and finding this page, I learned that it doesn't exit/crash if I use F1 or Tab->Save, so I'll save that way from now on. Perhaps that's an example of the glitchiness in the series that you guys were talking about, haha.
I'm really happy you liked it! And yeah, if you found it in the 90s, I'm sure you would have loved it. The game gets better and better and better!

But I can see it not quite having the same appeal now as then.

Yeah the bugs were a mess, but tolerable in the first game. I heard the second game is really hard to get into because of bugs - but the gameplay is supposed to still be great if you can get by them.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
All D&D games (except planescape) are on sale on GOG to celebrate the release. 2 days left on the sale I think.

GET DARK SUN!

Al-Qadim is good for an old school hack and slash too!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,430.00