GWT: PL Matchweek 32

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
KdB was the best player on the pitch.
LFC did not create much. I am very disappointed by that performance from LFC to be honest.

I guess the only positive is that they got back twice from behind.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Just want to reiterate my hatred of the "one pixel offside" rule once again. Especially when

- it's an oblique camera angle
- from half a mile away
- at potato resolution

Draw those lines one pixel the other way and Sterling is onside.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He didn't give Thaigo a second yellow because he called a pretty weak foul right before that against Thiago.

I think the bigger issue was not sending off Fabinho and VAR not even having him check it.
I think the problem with Taylor is less that he's biased in favor of a specific team, and more that he practices "game management" like is the way the NHL is officiated. His decisions directly influence games and rather than reacting objectively to what occurs.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Fine with a draw. We won the title decider in 13-14 and look where that got us. There's games left. The goal was to win all of them if we won today. That's still the goal.

The race wasn't over if we won and it's not now. It was over if City won.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
John Stones is an incredible footballer. Someday he has to get his flowers. He is massively underrated but absolutely brilliant and has been for a long time. Better than Laporte and Matip, for me.

• Haha
Reactions: luiginb

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Looks like that last shot was slightly deflected by Matip

Fair is fair, Liverpool should have gotten a corner earlier
Just think it’s crazy that it’s the most important game of the season and you get a red that can’t tell corners from goal kicks. But maybe that’s just me.

Reactions: Power Man

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Looking at City's schedule, I can't see them dropping points. Title is over.
City always had the easier run in. Draw still gives LFC a chance though and everyone would have taken a draw at halftime after the first 45 minutes. Not awesome but it is what it is

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think the problem with Taylor is less that he's biased in favor of a specific team, and more that he practices "game management" like is the way the NHL is officiated. His decisions directly influence games and rather than reacting objectively to what occurs.
The best ref in the league was in Norwich today. Every game I see Taylor do, he is just bad. Neither team thinks he did a good job after. Is that the point?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
The best ref in the league was in Norwich today. Every game I see Taylor do, he is just bad. Neither team thinks he did a good job after. Is that the point?
I don't mind Taylor to be fair.

I think though he could be more strict with red cards.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Just think it’s crazy that it’s the most important game of the season and you get a red that can’t tell corners from goal kicks. But maybe that’s just me.
It's not like they have better options.

They need to add an on-field official. The NHL has four officials on the playing surface. The NBA has three officials watching over a playing surface the size of a living room. MLB has four, six in the playoffs.

Football has the largest playing surface in pro sports, and one guy is actually out there, spending more time sprinting after the play than watching it. The linesmen are in terrible position to call anything but offside.

I don't think officiating decided this game, but that potential is always there and there's really no reason for it. The only reason officiating didn't decide this game is because he had absolute shockers for both sides.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
It's over, Liverpool's midfield chose a strange day to take a day off. It was probably Fabinho's worst game I've seen him in, and at this point I'd start Jones over Henderson. It thought Pep was being his overthinking self when he started Jesus but it was a gamble that paid off, he had a great game by his standards this season. Also LOL at all the Trent haters, all teams (except maybe Chelsea) would love to have him on their right flank, defensive issues and all. I like Stones more than most, but seeing him as "better than Matip" made me chuckle, especially considering the monster season Matip is having.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Taylor ruins games and his decisions become major talking points that impact the outcome, that's the point. Sometimes it impacts one team more than others, but I don't think it's always the same teams.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's over, Liverpool's midfield chose a strange day to take a day off. It was probably Fabinho's worst game I've seen him in, and at this point I'd start Jones over Henderson. It thought Pep was being his overthinking self when he started Jesus but it was a gamble that paid off, he had a great game by his standards this season. Also LOL at all the Trent haters, all teams (except maybe Chelsea) would love to have him on their right flank, defensive issues and all. I like Stones more than most, but seeing him as "better than Matip" made me chuckle, especially considering the monster season Matip is having.
Fabinho is such an important player for this team and he played like a US college midfielder today.

I still don't think it's over. City have dropped points eight times already. They dropped points six times the whole of 18-19.

I don't think either team is at that quality of 2-3 years ago where they just win every game for fun. A lot can still happen.

On the last day, City host Steven Gerrard's Aston Villa. Could you imagine? If you booked WrestleMania with an ending like that, they would call it hokey.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It’s likely over. But you never know
We've gained 13 points since January without a head-to-head and now everyone is convinced one head-to-head was the only chance. Doesn't make sense to me.

Real talk: did we really think we were gonna go there and win?

It's possible but beating them by one point in the last eight games (and hanging onto GD) is way more likely.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
We've gained 13 points since January without a head-to-head and now everyone is convinced one head-to-head was the only chance. Doesn't make sense to me.

Real talk: did we really think we were gonna go there and win?

It's possible but beating them by one point in the last eight games (and hanging onto GD) is way more likely.
Liverpool getting a draw is their only saving grace, but without getting 3 points today their chance to win the league drastically reduced. It's just the reality of the situation. Obviously weirder things have happened in sports but I wouldn't hold my breath on City tripping up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad