Speculation: PK Subban

bigbren92

Mar 13, 2012
It seems like PK is having a tough time getting a contract with the Habs? You guys think we give up the first rounders that would be required to snag him? I think he's got a huge future, plus im sure he'd like to be with his buddy JT. It would help with our defensive depth. Not saying we should do it, just wondering what you guys think

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I think the Isles would rather offer a package to MTL than offer sheet him. Unfortunately the odds of that happening are microscopic. Can't see the Isles making any average sized moves at this point, much less a gigantic move like that.

nyiguy21

Poster of the Decade
Aug 22, 2007
New York
I'm all for throwing some first rounders to get PK. However, protect those first rounders. If there is one thing Brian Burke and Phil Kessel have taught us, it is that you should protect picks in a deal like this.

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
I'd love Subban on this team...and he is close friends with JT, so all the better.

But not being much of a fan of offer sheets (especially with teams in the same conference)...I'd rather get on the phone w/Montreal and see what the price would be for him and try to go that route instead.

CJV123

Feb 4, 2010
He's a great fit on-ice, but he's only going to sign a deal for something close to his true value so he's not going to be a "bargain" and the Isles should not give up a 1st for him.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
It seems like PK is having a tough time getting a contract with the Habs? You guys think we give up the first rounders that would be required to snag him? I think he's got a huge future, plus im sure he'd like to be with his buddy JT. It would help with our defensive depth. Not saying we should do it, just wondering what you guys think

He reportedly wants Doughty ($7m) type money, which is a joke.

The isles have Hamonic due a new contract this summer. I hope TH is more realistic the Subban is being.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

The isles have Hamonic due a new contract this summer. I hope TH is more realistic the Subban is being.

I would imagine Hamonic's price going up after this season. Probably not to that level, but I expect him to establish himself as a legitimate #2 this year.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think Hammer would sign something like a 3.75-4.25/year deal

PK is not worth more than 5ish per year. 6 on the high end.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

I hope he is willing to sign a 5-6 yr deal, go into his ufa yrs like Tavares/Okposo/Grabner did.

NYR signed Del Zotta to a 2 yr deal. Reportedly for $2.5m per. Nice deal, very reasonable.

Hipster Doofus

Sep 1, 2006
PK Subban won't cost more than Tavares. Tavares is his BFF, he's not gonna come in here as the team's highest paid player.

I'd offer just about anything for him. Great player. Look at his Corsi stats if you think he's just a highlight reel. This team looks set to grab Jones as currently constructed, but I'd gladly grab Subban now and try and make a run at the playoffs rather than wait for the lottery and hope we get a top 2 pick.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006

I am not Travis Biggest fan and i am sure i have made that clear from time to time. However he is still getting better and he was starting to grow on me. I just do not think he will ever be a true STUD of a D man that some make him out to be. With that being sad i think he has a slightly higher UPSIDE than PK. There is no way Travis is worth 7M a season. So if i feel he is better than PK i would not want to give PK 7M either. They both IMO would be around 4M range give or take a MIL depending on length of a deal.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006

that is what i would think he would go for as well.
I think that i would pay him Slightly more per year if he wanted something shorter. say he wanted 3 years i would go like 4.5 oer for 3 years.
I would than offer him 4.25 for 5 years or something. I would be a little worried about going longer just yet. He is still young and could regress.

CDirt

Mar 20, 2008
z9.invisionfree.com
I don't think it's worth it to start throwing first round picks and high end prospects for a defensemen only 3 seasons into his career. There's that and always the question of whether or not he'll duplicate 30+ point seasons here.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I am not Travis Biggest fan and i am sure i have made that clear from time to time. However he is still getting better and he was starting to grow on me. I just do not think he will ever be a true STUD of a D man that some make him out to be. With that being sad i think he has a slightly higher UPSIDE than PK. There is no way Travis is worth 7M a season. So if i feel he is better than PK i would not want to give PK 7M either. They both IMO would be around 4M range give or take a MIL depending on length of a deal.

The $4m range would be John Carlson range. I'd be pretty happy, if Snow could get Hamonic signed longterm at $4m per.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
The $4m range would be John Carlson range. I'd be pretty happy, if Snow could get Hamonic signed longterm at $4m per.

I think its a fair $ figure. For a solid second pairing type of a guy. who could play some top line min as well.

GarfSnowed

May 1, 2011
Subban's contract negotiations are hitting wall and it is not looking very optimistic. Could the Isles possibly pull the trigger on a trade even with the amount of d-men they have? Will they pay him as well?

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
Subban's contract negotiations are hitting wall and it is not looking very optimistic. Could the Isles possibly pull the trigger on a trade even with the amount of d-men they have? Will they pay him as well?

It would probably cost us in the neighborhood of Hamonic + Strome and 1st for an unsigned Subban. Its just not worth it.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Montreal will not take just futures (picks/prospects) for Subban, they will want an impact player in return, we do not have any impact players we can risk loosing. I would throw almost any pick/prospect combo for him though.

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
If the Isles want to be part of any trade im sure the Habs would go after Brock Nelson/Neiterrater top D prospect take your pick and 1 rounder next year. Get ready to pay. Im a huge Subban fan myself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad