Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
I'll just leave this here.

BXs6zxzCEAAb1IZ.png

Michelangelo

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
What makes Weber more deserving of the Norris than him at this point? I've seen plenty claim this including some habs fans bit I also suspect that might be because they were trying to not sound like homers in other main board threads. But seriously, what am I missing here?

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
What makes Weber more deserving of the Norris than him at this point? I've seen plenty claim this including some habs fans bit I also suspect that might be because they were trying to not sound like homers in other main board threads. But seriously, what am I missing here?

6'4 Canadian defenseman. That alone makes people fawn over him, just like people had Piet above PK for the longest time. He has an intimidating beird. Likes to drop the gloves and is pretty scary in a fight. Has a slapshot that catches eyes. No one sees him play all that often so he's some what of a mythical being.

Then there's the typical "PK can't play D" but Shea is the "best shutdown D, even though I only watch him twice a year" argument. He'll probably win the Norris because he's been a top D for a while and hasn't won one yet. But I don't believe he's more deserving than PK at this point. Every stat in the book, along with the eye test, shows me than PK (and Giordano and Doughty) is the better player at this point in time.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
6'4 Canadian defenseman. That alone makes people fawn over him, just like people had Piet above PK for the longest time. He has an intimidating beird. Likes to drop the gloves and is pretty scary in a fight. Has a slapshot that catches eyes. No one sees him play all that often so he's some what of a mythical being.

Then there's the typical "PK can't play D" but Shea is the "best shutdown D, even though I only watch him twice a year" argument. He'll probably win the Norris because he's been a top D for a while and hasn't won one yet. But I don't believe he's more deserving than PK at this point. Every stat in the book, along with the eye test, shows me than PK (and Giordano and Doughty) is the better player at this point in time.

Weber deserves one this year just in the basis he's been robbed every other year. If Weber retires without a Norris that would be a crime.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada

Nashville is in a position they've never been in before (1st in NHL) and he's been really close multiple times in the past. Take that emotional attachment to seeing him win one, and the fact at how close the top players are and you can give him the edge for his first Norris.

With that being said, I think he's in a group of 4 players that have 20 games to separate themselves for the trophy.

P.K. Subban
Shea Weber
Mark Giordano
Kris Letang

As much as people will want to add Karlsson in there, and I think on an individual level he's in the pack due to his play over the back half of the season. He won't get the votes because 1. No one watches Ottawa 2. They're not in the playoffs so there's no reason to watch them.

Dharvey33

Apr 30, 2010
Man imagine if PK wins another Norris the salty tears on the main board would be so delicious.

He probably won't because like People are saying if Nashville finishs First someone of either Rinne or Weber is going to get an award. I'd prefer Weber wins the Norris and Price the vezina than the other way around.

Price deserves the Vezina.

StartTheShow

Dec 29, 2013
Love PK and believe he has true Norris potential year in year out, playing top minutes and producing at a high level. Its just some of the little plays PK makes that take him out of Norris consideration. For example in last nights game after taking a bad penalty on Bozak he started to pout and throw his arms in the air ignoring play on the ice. Its not much but I believe its part the reason PK isn't considered a favorite to win the Norris.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
If Subban wins a second Norris, is he a lock for the Hockey hall of fame?

No, the HOF is half about longevity and Championships. So, he coudl very well be a hall of famer but he needs to have a long career or bang home a few championships.

Prospector

Aug 28, 2004
Is it just me or it's been an while since we've seen Subban line up a big hit! Even though he's plyaing amazing lately, I kinda miss those..!

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
If Subban wins a second Norris, is he a lock for the Hockey hall of fame?

Define lock?

He wins the Norris this summer and doesn't play another game in the NHL? No way he's in.

He wins the Norris and then proceeds to have a bunch of OK seasons, but no championship and no additional hardware. Still not in.

It's just too soon to tell. He needs to do more. But if he keeps it up and is a 60 points guy for multiple seasons, wins a cup, maybe a little more hardware. Yes, he's in 100%.

I'd say he's on par, but certainly not there yet.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Subban has been a winner at every level. He won the WJC and the Calder Cup. I guess Olympic Gold works too.

pavelbure44

Oct 4, 2007
Is it just me or it's been an while since we've seen Subban line up a big hit! Even though he's plyaing amazing lately, I kinda miss those..!

He's being smart. He's burnt himself a few times going for big hits, especially those hip checks along the boards when forwards try to go around him.

Plekaturtlenec

Jan 11, 2014
Toronto
Love PK and believe he has true Norris potential year in year out, playing top minutes and producing at a high level. Its just some of the little plays PK makes that take him out of Norris consideration. For example in last nights game after taking a bad penalty on Bozak he started to pout and throw his arms in the air ignoring play on the ice. Its not much but I believe its part the reason PK isn't considered a favorite to win the Norris.

You're right, no good players are ever allowed to complain. Perfection is the expectation 100% of the time.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Weber deserves one this year just in the basis he's been robbed every other year. If Weber retires without a Norris that would be a crime.

That's not how things work.

Also, Weber hasn't been robbed of anything. He never was the best in any given season, but is usually around the top 3 consistently. That's what makes him the best D in the league according to many.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That's not how things work.

Also, Weber hasn't been robbed of anything. He never was the best in any given season, but is usually around the top 3 consistently. That's what makes him the best D in the league according to many.
Won't be surprised if it happens though. People want Weber to win one...

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Won't be surprised if it happens though. People want Weber to win one...

Wouldn't be surprised either. In fact, I've said quite a few times the vibe I got from journalists was that they felt like Weber was "due".

Still, that's not how things are supposed to work.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

PK certainly deserves one but I think Weber does as well. He's just so solid. Just looks like he is everywhere on the ice.

I think him and PK do things very differently but with equal results.

Shea will go in the corner and take the hit while PK will skate away and outmuscle the guy. Both come out with the puck

Shea will clear the front of the net where PK will just tie up the guy. Both do a good job of preventing the player from touching the puck.

Subban will carry the puck and attract players while Weber will simply make the pass or clear. Both will get the puck out.

It's just two very different styles but both guys are effective. PK is slightly better offensively while Shea is slightly better defensively. Both are amazing.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
He's not gonna win the Norris, he's top-3. I'm just happy to not hear how wonderful Karlsson is, and for that I thank you Subban.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad