Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish: Bombulie ‎to restore order @ the Trib(II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
No way in hell. Pittsburgh (like the majority of other American cities) is a football town first and foremost. The average yinzer couldn't tell you anyone on the roster besides McCutchen/Walker/Crosby/Malkin/Fleury, but they'll sure as hell be watching Football every Sunday.

Don't think that's an accurate comparison. Even though people can't tell you the back up shortstop, they still watch. A lot of people that watch football don't know who the back up running back is. Knowledge has no real impact on viewing.

Regardless, football/NFL is losing a lot of ground in the younger ages. Between parents opting to not let their kids play peewee to general fans being turned off because of the constant off-field problems there's a large portion of the youth that doesn't have the same passion for football grown into them that their parents generation had.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
No way in hell. Pittsburgh (like the majority of other American cities) is a football town first and foremost. The average yinzer couldn't tell you anyone on the roster besides McCutchen/Walker/Crosby/Malkin/Fleury, but they'll sure as hell be watching Football every Sunday.

Yeah but I find it's the same in the places I have lived in and live in currently.

Most of the places can't identify more than the big name players, whether it's people in Boston, LA, Chicago, Montreal, Vancouver...

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA
Hey guys, Steelers fan in Vancouver, aside from the Terrible Podcast, any other media I can try streaming online to get my off-season/pre-season fix in? Any preferences between The Fan or ESPN 970?

It depends upon when you plan on listening. I prefer ESPN 970. Stan Savran in the middle of the day is quite knowledgeable about all sports Pittsburgh. Also, in the afternoon is a guy by the name of David Todd who is fairly knowledgeable as well. In the mornings sometimes they have Tunch and Wolfley on to talk Steelers, but even then it is better than the Fan in my opinion. When I view Ron Cook as a sympathetic character, the world is wrong, but with idiots he has to work with I cannot help myself. The morning show is a joke. Filliponi has no right to be paid to open his mouth about anything. Starkey and Mueller is a classic example of the monkey trying to %&#* the football. If you question that statement consider this they have a weekly slot called the Rossi Report where they have Rossi discuss his views. Need I say any more. Paul Ziese is at least knowledgeable about Pitt sports. Dan Kengurski (sp?) actually has some good view points on hockey.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
the fact that the nfl makes that much money and provides so little security to its present and past players is such a moral outrage to me that it affects my ability to enjoy the product. i can still applaud a clever, creative play call and fantastic execution, but seeing some guy get absolutely blasted in the head (see: leveon bell rookie year vs the ravens) is just physically upsetting. how the heck can baseball players get ironclad contracts, great pensions, and health care while nfl players are treated basically like depreciating assets and thrown away?

Don't even get me started on the labor situation the NFLPA has allowed its membership to suffer through. I can't watch Hard Knocks because a vein in my forehead starts beating.

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA
Yeah but I find it's the same in the places I have lived in and live in currently.

Most of the places can't identify more than the big name players, whether it's people in Boston, LA, Chicago, Montreal, Vancouver...

Agreed. Most people I know do not watch the later stages of preseason games because they are not seeing the guys they know. I love watching those guys fighting to try and make a roster. It is great action.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Don't think that's an accurate comparison. Even though people can't tell you the back up shortstop, they still watch. A lot of people that watch football don't know who the back up running back is. Knowledge has no real impact on viewing.

Regardless, football/NFL is losing a lot of ground in the younger ages. Between parents opting to not let their kids play peewee to general fans being turned off because of the constant off-field problems there's a large portion of the youth that doesn't have the same passion for football grown into them that their parents generation had.

The gap is smaller than it was, but there are still a lot more people watching football than hockey or baseball in Pittsburgh. I worked in schools and saw hundreds of kids every day. Every single day you heard them talk about something related to the NFL. There was a very small pocket of kids that ever even mentioned hockey or baseball existed.

AZPenguins

Aug 25, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Are NFL off-field problems so bad that they turn off that much fans?

I don't think so.

It is weird in a metro area like Phoenix because so many people aren't from here. You have die hard Cubs fans that know nothing about the DBacks, but like the Cardinals and ignore the Suns.

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Not sure who the bum was on 93.7 last night, about 9pm. But he was saying how horrible the Kesler contract was for the Ducks.

"He'd be a great 3rd line center...probably the best in the league. But if you want a 70 point center on your 2nd line? More power to you, Anaheim!"

It's apparently 1991, and having a "70 point 2nd line center" is a horrible thing.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He could've even made a decent argument if he had looked at the stats and realized Kesler is now a 45 point 2nd line center.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
I think with the pirates being relevant the penguins are once again low man on the totem pole. Any.causal or bandwagon interest in the team is long gone.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
Not sure who the bum was on 93.7 last night, about 9pm. But he was saying how horrible the Kesler contract was for the Ducks.

"He'd be a great 3rd line center...probably the best in the league. But if you want a 70 point center on your 2nd line? More power to you, Anaheim!"

It's apparently 1991, and having a "70 point 2nd line center" is a horrible thing.

I guess no one bothered to tell him Pittsburghs 2nd line center scored exactly 70 points last season and 72 the season before. :laugh:

I guess no one bothered to tell him there were only 19 players in the league that scored 70+ points last season, too.

But hey, what do I know about baiting listeners with off the wall claims?

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
I think it's stupid to say that though. The Pens might be paying Kessel less, but Kessel is making 8 million. That doesn't change. Kesler is worth every penny of that 6.8 in a world where Kane and Toews are making 10.5. The guy is a monster.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think it's stupid to say that though. The Pens might be paying Kessel less, but Kessel is making 8 million. That doesn't change. Kesler is worth every penny of that 6.8 in a world where Kane and Toews are making 10.5. The guy is a monster.

but considering our expressed interest in Kesler a year earlier, I think its worth noting how it turned out for us. It doesn't mean anything to the Ducks obviously, but its interesting on our end.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
Its incredible for our end. Sooooo glad we didn't go back to the 3C model. Then we'd have 3 elite centers with trash for wings.

Pete Gas

Jul 10, 2012
Kessel and Kesler are both different types of players, so imo its apples to oranges.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
I'm assuming this was another "be glad we didn't get this player!" Hit piece for yinzer nation. They did the same thing earlier with parise and suter. It was dumb then and it's dumb now.

I'm glad things worked out for once and the pens got a big name player, but when players like parise.suter or kesler become available, you try to get them if you can.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com

There are teams that would be lucky to have a 70 point FIRST line center...and either way Kesler is not gonna sniff 70 points

SwordofStMichael

Apr 4, 2013
I don't know the history, but just guessing Madden isn't a fan of Farnham's. Amusing to hear him not really answer Guerin.
Mark Madden asked about Farnham and Guerin's first reply was "are you a fan of him..."
When I first heard it I thought Guerin was asking Madden for his opinion..but now kind of sounds like Guerin was being sarcastic, like "geez mark you're a big Farnham fan..."

will try to type transcript:
Madden: what about Bobby Farnham? he's the peoples choice to be sure Bill and boy he's a whirlwind out there just a tornado and I think he can play in the league my question is with his style and his size how often is he gonna get hurt?
Guerin: are you a fan of him?
MM: umm, I'm a..[cutoff by BG, they talk over each other]..fan of him on a certain level
BG: I know, I know..[talking over MM]..I know you're a big fan of him and I am too, I think Bobby Farnham can play...[goes on to give his thoughts on Farnham]

I think BG was joking with MM, "you're his biggest fan" kind of thing

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad